PDA

View Full Version : salting a brisket

MI Smoke
02-14-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd like to here peoples thoughts on if this process would work on brisket. I have used it on steaks and like what it does for it.

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

Bludawg
02-14-2015, 09:07 PM
I use Salt & Pepper pretty heavy and I cook mostly Select. Not quite the same but it makes a dam fine brisket good enough that I denounce all other rubs.

Porcine Perfection
02-14-2015, 09:38 PM
I would try it on a flat, but I don't know if it would penetrate the thickness of a point.

Ron_L
02-15-2015, 08:40 AM
I've been tempted to give it a try, but haven't yet. a 1- 1 1/2" steak takes about an hour using this method, I'm guessing you would need a couple of hours for a brisket.

If you decide to try it please report back!

MI Smoke
02-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Ron, heading to Costco to pickup a flat. Wouldn't be the first time I bought pizza at the last minute 😁. Another thing I am curious about is if it would take on smoke after doing this process to it?

MI Smoke
02-15-2015, 09:35 AM
It takes a hour for every inch of thickness

Mike Twangzer
02-15-2015, 10:50 AM
While you're at it ... try it on a tri-tip also to see if it works ... let us know..

Bbq Bubba
02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I'd like to here peoples thoughts on if this process would work on brisket. I have used it on steaks and like what it does for it.

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

If your cooking your brisket to medium rare, maybe. :wink:

2 Bones BBQ
02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I've done this with a pork butt following a ATK recipe and my wife still talks about that butt 2 years later. It was awesome and will try it with a briskie. Let ya'll know.

jasonjax
02-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I think this would work just fine on a brisket, but considering how thick it is I don't know if you would get the same sort of results unless you salted it overnight etc.

A flat you might be able to just treat like a thick steak so it would be definitely worth the experiment IMO.

theTastyCat
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
After reading that exact article, I've done the same thing with every single steak and the results are absolutely fantastic. Hate to sound snobbish but it really has ruined me on most restaurant steak! Seems like it wouldn't be able to penetrate the whole point, but seems like a flat would probably do fine. A pork butt..... how intriguing........

WildeMan
02-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Another idea, that I've wanted to try but seems sound - instead of just salting heavily by feel, measure your salt by the weight of the meat, and let it sit overnight. That way you don't have to worry about oversalting, and you don't have to rinse it off, either. 1/2 a teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of trimmed meat is always a safe bet, but on a big boneless cut like brisket, I'd probably go 3/4 per pound. You're essentially brining but without the water. Amazingribs.com has a pretty good write up here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html