PDA

View Full Version : Reverse sear questions on Weber Genesis

Danny B
02-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Grilled on my brand new Genesis S-330 last night for the first time. Had 1-1.25 inch thick pork chops. I got the grill up to 600 easily to begin with using all three burners on medium setting. Shut down the right and middle burner to do the reverse sear. Put chops up on the elevated rack and let them go for 15 minutes. Where I had trouble was getting the grill grates really hot for the sear. I did use the sear station as well. My question is this - am I being unrealistic to expect a really hot sear when searing with the top open as I've always thought is the thing to do when searing in the rear? Should I close the lid when searing since it's a gas grill? Should I abandon the reverse sear method for my Genesis altogether? Thanks in advance for any advice.

qman
02-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Run the left burner, the sear burner, and the middle burner all on high. That gives you the btu's you need. Give the grill time to preheat before doing the sear.
This works for me pretty well. Not as good as a fierce lump fire with flames licking the steak, but good enough.
Do you have the cast iron grates? That makes a big difference too.

Prestige World Wide
02-13-2015, 09:59 AM
2 other options. Bring up to temp, then remove from grill (5-10 degrees below target) and loosely cover with foil while bringing sear burner up to temp, then sear. Or, bring up to temp on grill, then sear using a cast iron pan on the side burner. That is what I do on my weber summit. Always sear with the lid open.

THoey1963
02-13-2015, 10:33 AM
When I do the reverse sear technique on my Genesis S-330, I will first fire the grill up to high heat so I can brush the grates. I will then turn the center and right burners off and the sear burner to low. This usually settles the grill in the 400 - 500* range after several minutes. I'll throw the meat indirect until I reach my target temp - 25*. At that time, I move the meat from the right side to the left side and crank the sear back to high.

I also have the GrillGrates (http://www.grillgrate.com/) on the left side, usually upside down so the flat side is up. This creates a really good crust all over the outside of the meat.

CakeM1x
02-13-2015, 12:02 PM
When I do the reverse sear technique on my Genesis S-330, I will first fire the grill up to high heat so I can brush the grates. I will then turn the center and right burners off and the sear burner to low. This usually settles the grill in the 400 - 500* range after several minutes. I'll throw the meat indirect until I reach my target temp - 25*. At that time, I move the meat from the right side to the left side and crank the sear back to high.

I also have the GrillGrates (http://www.grillgrate.com/) on the left side, usually upside down so the flat side is up. This creates a really good crust all over the outside of the meat.

How do you like the grillgrates?

THoey1963
02-13-2015, 02:43 PM
How do you like the grillgrates?

I love them. I use them right side up for burgers and dogs and then flip them over to create a nice sear crust on steaks, chops, and Tri-Tips. Their special spatula (I believe it comes with any order) is good for lifting burgers and can be used for clearing the wells. I do suggest getting their special brush (sold separately) as it really cleans out the valleys.

Danny B
02-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Going to give it a try with a 1.5 inch/1.58 lb. black angus ribeye tonight.

THoey1963
02-13-2015, 06:52 PM
I am sure you will do fine. Just keep an eye on it and catch the IT on the way up.

Happy Hapgood
02-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Also, do you have SS, porcelain coated or cast iron grills? Hard to beat CI.

Danny B
02-14-2015, 10:01 AM
My Genesis has the stainless grates.

I had mixed results with the ribeye last night. The interior was close to perfect but just didn't get the crust I was hoping for. Next time I'm going to try bovine bold rub since it has sugar in it to see of that will help. I used SPOG+ Lawry's last night. I also will try the cast iron skillet for the sear. Thanks again for the suggestions.