PDA

View Full Version : restaurant depot

paquette11b
02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I've heard a lot about restaurant depot and seeing that one is 15 minutes away I had a few questions. 1) is their meat selection and prices above that of a Sam's Club. 2) how does one obtain membership if I'm not a business owner. Thanks guys

alexf
02-11-2015, 07:53 PM
I've heard a lot about restaurant depot and seeing that one is 15 minutes away I had a few questions. 1) is their meat selection and prices above that of a Sam's Club. 2) how does one obtain membership if I'm not a business owner. Thanks guys

I think it is, at least at the one I go to. For instance they have prime brisket. Good luck finding that anywhere else around here.

If you are a KCBS member you get a day pass! Just walk in the door, show your ID and KCBS membership card and you're in. Cash/credit only though.

J&B'sBBQ
02-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Those of us that lurk in the competition section of the forum frequent RD locations if we have one near by.

As alexf said, you just need to take your KCBS membership card in and ask for a day pass at the desk. You will give the slip of paper they give you to the cashier on the way out when you pay.

You can get a better selection of brisket and ribs there than you can at Sams, as well as better prices. Every Sams is different as to what they carry, but at RD you have a selection of briskets (whole packers), as well as choices with rib options. I don't shop at Sams, but I do know that Costco does not carry bone-in pork butts, so we also get these at RD. I find that I can get much better meat at RD than I can at Costco or the local grocer. Their prices are substantially less per pound too.

Smokin69th
02-11-2015, 08:26 PM
I wish I had one 15 minutes away!! I have to drive 2 hours to the nearest RD, and it's so worth the trip. Meat selection is great and prices are less that Sam's. If you aren't a KCBS member, the RD day pass is worth the price of membership.

alexf
02-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Good point. Bone in butts. Sam's has them, but I find RD's to be much better. Last Sam's butts I bought had literally no flavor (not sure how that's even possible). It's also super cheap. Like $4/lb for a prime brisket cheap.

Also, I've never bought any other meat except brisket and butts there, but it's like cheating for other things. Want 15 gallons of ketchup? No problem!

ETOH
02-12-2015, 01:13 AM
RD is TROUBLE! My wife said I cant go there anymore without her supervision :) I like the selection and quality of the meat they sell. Prices seem pretty comparable to other discount stores. But again they have consistent quality and great selection.

They also have some other really cool accessories.

ebijack
02-12-2015, 05:05 AM
Do you have any friends that have a business? See if they might be interested in joining and giving you one of their cards. It is free, no membership fees.
In my area, RD is not always cheaper than Sam's club on pork shoulder. Quite often the same or with in pennies. Unless your buying cases and even then not much different unless on sale at RD. Brisket, no comparison in choices, RD all the way. I just don't by brisket all that often. At RD, you want a case of shrimp? Any freakin size? Lobster, whole fresh baby lamb etc etc. The cooking utensils are unmatched that I can find. Anything restaurants use/require they have. More noodles than anywhere I've ever seen. And spices.