PDA

View Full Version : do you have a country gravy with sausage recipe?

deepsouth
02-10-2015, 09:33 AM
i want to make a good country gravy with some smoked fatty this weekend and i was looking for a tried and true recipe.

do you have one? care to share!?

peeps
02-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm lazy and I use a Pioneer packet :wink:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JFAM761CL.jpg

Thingfish
02-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Well, I don't have a recipe as such, but wanted to say that smoked fatty makes great sausage gravy. You just have to realize that much of the fat needed for cooking out the flour is rendered out of the fatty during smoking, so you'll have to replace it with another fat. Bacon fat works quite well for this. Apart from that, you can use whatever milk product you like and salt/pepper. I prefer "less-is-more" when it comes to ingredients for sausage gravy.

Ribeye Republic
02-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I love this one, but you will have to add fat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-gravy.html

Westexbbq
02-10-2015, 10:02 AM
My recipe is not precise and pretty much done by "feel" and "look", certainly not rocket surgery. After I brown the sausage in a skillet, I scoop out the sausage with a slotted spoon and add some flour to the remaining grease, stir it around a bit on low heat and then slowly add milk until it starts looking right, constantly stirring the mixture. Lastly I add the sausage back in and tweak it a bit if it needs to be thicker or thinner. Goes great on biscuits or just about anything.

Ron_L
02-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Here is mine... Bash approved :-D It was adapted from a couple of recipes that I found online.

Fatty Gravy

Ingredients:

1 lb sage-flavored naked fatty (smoked, of course)
¼ cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
6 tbsp all purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1-2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1-2 dashes of Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, or other hot sauce
1-2 tbsp butter or bacon grease (if needed)

Procedure:

Preheat a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat (put a few drops of water in the pan – when they evaporate, you know the pan is ready). Chop or crumble the fatty into the pan and let it brown for a minute or two, then turn down to medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook until they are transparent.

Remove sausage with a slotted spatula or spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan. If less than 3 tbsp of drippings remain, add enough butter (or bacon grease) to equal about 3 tbsp of drippings. Add the cooked sausage back to the pan on medium heat, and sprinkle the flour over the sausage. Stir in the flour and cook for about 6-8 minutes, until the mixture starts bubbling and turns slightly golden brown.

Stir in poultry seasoning, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and salt – cook for 1 minute to deepen the flavors. Slowly add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 15 minutes).

Be patient, it will thicken!

retired trucker
02-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Take some rendered fat, (like the bacon fat above) and put in a skillet and heat. Take about 3 large tablespoons of flour (rounded up) and put in a bowl or large pitcher. Add a large pinch (about 1/2 teaspoon) of salt, and a good pinch of sugar (this helps the ingredients melt/mix together) add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid (milk for sausage gravy is my favorite. Use water if making gravy for chicken or beef) Stir well until the flour is well mixed and no lumps or dry flour is present.

Slowly add to the hot grease and stir continuously until the gravy has thickened to desired consistency. The key to non lumpy gravy is to stir continuously until done. You may have to experiment with the amount of flour to get the right consistency, but with practice, you will get the feel for the right amount.

If the gravy turns out too thick when cooking, just add small amounts of liquid until the right consistency is reached. If it is too thin, then add more flour that has been mixed with some liquid before adding to the hot mix. If you just add more flour to the hot mix, it will lump up and not mix into the hot mix without cooking into hard lumps. It is easy to make, and the key is to stir, stir, and then stir some more while cooking. For sausage gravy, add the chopped up sausage after the gravy has reached its desired consistency. I like to cook my sausage in another pan before adding to my cooked gravy. Enjoy!

Omar

P.S. tune in tomorrow for page three! :blah:

DLR
02-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Keep the fat to flour ratio equal, if you use 1/4 cup fat use 1/4 cup flour, add milk or 1/2and1/2 until desired thickness just keep in mind it continues to thicken as it cooks.

Gadragonfly
02-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Keep the fat to flour ratio equal, if you use 1/4 cup fat use 1/4 cup flour, add milk or 1/2and1/2 until desired thickness just keep in mind it continues to thicken as it cooks.

^^^^This is the answer to perfect gravy every time, regardless of the type.^^^

Mo-Dave
02-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I ether use what peeps uses or this. It is fast and everyone here likes it or I should say they have grown use to these mixes. The packages image has changed on this one so you may not see it in stores like this much longer. When I have made it from scratch eyebrows are raised and questions ask what have you done here. Well now I know whats for dinner tonight. :clap2:
Dave

C:\Users\DLEE\Pictures\Gravy Mixes_files\gravy4.jpg

IamMadMan
02-10-2015, 01:47 PM
1 pound Sausage
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
dash cayenne pepper, optional

Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan. Stir in the butter until melted. Add flour, and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until light brown. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in cooked sausage. Reduce heat, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. If gravy becomes too thick, stir in a little more milk.

Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour (about 8 ounces), plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fine salt
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced
3/4 cup milk

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Rub 2 tablespoons of the butter into the flour with your fingertips until completely absorbed. Work the remaining butter into the flour until it is in even pieces about the size of a pea. Gently stir the milk into the flour mixture to make a loose dough.

Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. (For a flakier biscuit repeat the folding a second time.) Pat the dough into a 5 by 8-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a 2- to 3-inch round cutter to make 6 biscuits, and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Press together the scraps of dough and cut more biscuits.

CraigC
02-10-2015, 01:52 PM
I use one tube of JD's original dumped into a hot skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns. When I feel it is about 1/2 way done and broken up well enough, I add finely diced onion, about 1/2 cup and a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper. When ready, I sprinkle about 2 Tbsp of flour over the meat and mix it in with the spoon, cooking and stirring until the raw flour taste is gone. I like to use half & half, one pint. Add half & half, stir it in, reduce heat to a low simmer until it thickens to taste. If I think it needs thinning, I use good chicken stock. Adjust seasoning before serving if needed.

If you want "sawdust" gravy, remove meat and onions to a food processor right before the adding flour stage and blitz away! Return the "sawdust" to the skillet and continue the recipe. I like a lot of black pepper, but hold off adding any until I fix my plate, in consideration of those that like less. If I'm in the mood, I'll add a few dashes of "W" sauce during the simmering.

hamiltont
02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Here's a real simple recipe that's easy to remember. Per pound of browned sausage (I prefer JD). You can drain what little fat is rendered out or just leave it.

- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of flour
- Milk
- Pepper

- Melt the butter in a sauce pan & remove from heat.
- Whisk in the flour until it is mixed well.
- Add pepper.
- Add a couple, three cups of milk to start with & whisk until smooth.
- Return to high heat and continue to whisk & add milk until it's bubbling and the desired thickness is reached. Don't stop stirring or you'll burn it to the pan...
- Remove from the heat and stir in the browned sausage.
- Serve over homemade biscuits.

The ratio: 1 pound of browned sausage, 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of flour...

Cheers!!!

palmtreefrb
02-10-2015, 03:56 PM
This is from Texas Monthly...
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/biscuits-recipe

BISCUITS
Makes about a dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, then use your fingertips to quickly work the shortening and butter into the flour mixture; it should feel like coarse meal. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the buttermilk a little at a time, using a wooden spoon to stir just until a sticky dough forms.

Turn dough onto a floured surface, sprinkle with flour, and knead gently, four or five times (you can add more flour if the dough is sticky). Press the dough out into a round about 1/2 inch thick, then use a floured biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place biscuits on a baking sheet so they just touch. Bake for about 15 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through for even cooking, until the biscuits are raised and golden brown.

SAUSAGE GRAVY
Makes about 2 cups

1/4 pound breakfast sausage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk, warm

Cook the sausage in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until done, then remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of the fat (you can add vegetable oil if you don’t have enough). Add the flour and stir, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Slowly add the warm milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Lower the heat and continue to stir until gravy is thick (if it’s too thick, you can add a little warm water). Stir in the cooked sausage and add salt and pepper to taste.

Jason TQ
02-10-2015, 05:31 PM
My recipe is not precise and pretty much done by "feel" and "look", certainly not rocket surgery. After I brown the sausage in a skillet, I scoop out the sausage with a slotted spoon and add some flour to the remaining grease, stir it around a bit on low heat and then slowly add milk until it starts looking right, constantly stirring the mixture. Lastly I add the sausage back in and tweak it a bit if it needs to be thicker or thinner. Goes great on biscuits or just about anything.

I'm about the same here other than I leave the sausage in the whole time. I do have a starting ratio of flour/milk.

For 1lb of sausage I brown it and get that fat rendered out. Then I add 1/4 cup flour and stir it in until it is all soaked up. Then I add 2 cups milk slowly till it thickens. Sometimes I add a little more milk if it is needed, but this ratio works well for me.

I should also add that I put in some salt and pepper, but more importantly I started adding bbq rub into the gravy and it is damn good :-D

landarc
02-10-2015, 06:02 PM

My GAWD! I am apalled! :shock:

landarc
02-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Normally, I use the sausage to create a fond in the pan, also to render the grease. Since you are using a fattie, the grease is rendered. I would crumble the fatty into smallish pieces. Then do this.

crumbled fatty
1/8 cup very finely chopped onion
1/4 cup fat
1/4 cup AP flour
2 cups milk
salt
coarse or medium black pepper

Brown the fatty and onion in the fat, until the onion starts to get soft, remove the sausage, add in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken roux. Add milk (room temp milk, or even preheated) to roux and keep stirring until the gravy thickens. Add sausage back in, cook for a couple of minutes, adjust salt and pepper. I like a fair amount of salt and a lot of black pepper

jham0077
02-10-2015, 07:13 PM
MadMan just about nailed my recipe. I only use about 1 TBS butter though. I remove the skillet from the heat to let the butter melt, add equal part flour (if 3TBS fat, then add 3TBS flour). Return it to the heat and carry on. I was told the butter and the short rest off the heat was key to no lumps.

LYU370
02-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I do KISS. Cook your sausage/fatty. In a pot add 1/4 cup fat, (oil, butter, bacon grease, sausage grease) 1/4 cup flour and make a roux. Cook it about 5 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. The longer you cook it, the darker it will get and will have more of a nutty taste, but it won't have as much thickening power.

Add 3 cups of dairy product (milk/half & half/cream) salt & pepper to taste to the roux. I also like to add sage and garlic. Because I add garlic to everything. Add in your sausage/fatty and cook til it gets to the consistency you desire. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get.

Wornslick
02-10-2015, 07:51 PM

Just 2 cups, whats the rest of my family going to eat? LOL

mrp116
02-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I make biscuits and gravy almost every weekend, and I have never had a need to add butter, oil, remove sausage, make a roux etc...

I usually plan on two biscuits/person, 1/2 cup milk/biscuit, and 1/4 lb sausage/person. So, 1 lb of sausage and a quart of milk for 4 people. First, brown sausage until 3/4 done. Next, and I feel this is very important, take potato masher and mash down the grisly little nuggets into chips. After sausage is browned, add 1 tablespoon flour/cup of milk you will use. Stir flour into sausage and continue cooking, while stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes. Make sure no signs of powered flour remain, and ideally start a little brown, thickesh bubbling. This will prevent the grainy flour texture. Pour in milk, liberal amounts of salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of rubbed sage. Bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly. Once it starts boiling/simmering, stir constantly until it comes together (maybe 5-8 minutes). Once it comes together (it's hard to describe, but you'll know when by a change in the consistency), simmer to desired thickness, usually 20 minutes total, start to finish, for a quart of milk, lb of sausage, and 4 T of flour.

Whenever stirring, always be scraping bottom and sides of pan.

code3rrt
02-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Some very good recipes here. I will say I have tried the package mixes, not bad in a pinch, but don't really care for them personally.

I fry up my sausage, about 8 oz., just mashing it up with a spoon as it fries. Once that is cooked through I add about a TBS of butter. then I add in around a quarter cup of finely chopped sweet onion, cook that til the onion is tender, 2-3 minutes, here I add just a pinch of granulated garlic. Then I add enough flour to soak up whatever fat is in the pan, enough to make a loose paste. Now I add my 1/2 & 1/2, about 1-1 1/2 cups and stir with a wire whisk constantly until it begins to bubble and thicken, I continue adding additional 1/2 & 1/2 as necessary to the consistency I like, remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste. It will usually "tighten up" a little as it begins to cool so just continue to add 1/2 & 1/2 as needed for consistency.

I see several folks here add nutmeg and/or sage, I've tried the nutmeg, just simply doesn't suit my personal taste, but I might have to try the sage, sounds good. And for me, using 1/2 & 1/2 took my sausage gravy to a new level, I used to use milk, but the 1/2 & 1/2 for me made it much much better.

I think your fatty will work great in any of these recipes, as others have said, you just need to make up for the fat. I think I would use butter personally, but any cooking oil would work, just break up the fatty and saute` that a bit to get that sausage flavor coming out, and then proceed with whichever recipe sounds good.

Enjoy!

KC

64Driver
02-11-2015, 09:17 AM

Where as I love making mine from scratch, I gotta say I've been lazy lately like peeps. I just add a bit more pepper and add some cayenne for some kick to this and put it on practically anything/everything.

rookiedad
02-11-2015, 09:22 AM
i could post another recipe here but you already have what you need. my advice would be to read all the recipes but don't follow any one in particular. everyone makes it differently and some make it differently every time. jump it, get the feel for it and make it your own!!! enjoy!!!

deepsouth
02-11-2015, 09:25 AM
i could post another recipe here but you already have what you need. my advice would be to read all the recipes but don't follow any one particularly. everyone makes it differently and some make it differently every time. jujmp it, get the feel for it and make it your own!!!

indeed! tons of great suggestions! i'm really looking forward to making some this weekend. i've made brown gravys lots of times, but never one like this.

Deltaboy
02-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Yep I just add a teaspoon of pork drippings and milk and some fresh black pepper and it ready to go.

bignburlyman
02-11-2015, 01:33 PM
You can just eat this right out of the can! ROFL :icon_smile_tongue: And what do you suppose artificially lightened means?

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-a5f1/k2-_ea8db4a8-9cf5-49cc-8401-7dbe08953c78.v1.jpg

deepsouth
02-11-2015, 01:59 PM
You can just eat this right out of the can! ROFL :icon_smile_tongue: And what do you suppose artificially lightened means?

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-a5f1/k2-_ea8db4a8-9cf5-49cc-8401-7dbe08953c78.v1.jpg

titanium dioxide added.