PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your hog sausage casings? dry or wet?

Royalslover
02-08-2015, 11:09 PM
I just a newbie at making sausage and the first time I used casings packed in salt water. They made really good sausage but they were a pain to untangle, rinse, and get on the horn. I've seen the dry(ish) ones that are already slid onto a tube making it easier to load onto the stuffer? What say you sausage vets?

Titch
02-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Tried them and went back to salt packed
Open a section and run tap water thru them when washing the salt off,
Works for us

IamMadMan
02-09-2015, 04:48 AM
I personally prefer the salt packed, which I soak and rinse and slide in the stuffing horn myself. But everyone has their own preferences....

AussieMatt
02-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Salt packed. As said above, soak them, then stick one end over the kitchen tap and run water through them. Makes untangling them easier with the water running though them.

CraigC
02-09-2015, 06:51 AM
I just a newbie at making sausage and the first time I used casings packed in salt water. They made really good sausage but they were a pain to untangle, rinse, and get on the horn. I've seen the dry(ish) ones that are already slid onto a tube making it easier to load onto the stuffer? What say you sausage vets?

You're going to have that either way, in my experience. We've also found the salt packed (dry) to tear more easily.

bluetang
02-09-2015, 06:55 AM
I use the salt packed, but when I open a new hank, I separate all the casings and then rebag them individually in salted ziplocks.

NBBD
02-09-2015, 07:07 AM
dry casings on a plastic slip, let soak 24 hours.. Water and cut lemon... So easy to use

Wickedcajun
02-09-2015, 07:32 AM
I have used the salt cured and wet brined casings for my sausages... I like the casings packed in brine better... Less tearing and no blowouts... I found the salt cured casings ok to use ... Just have to soak them longer and dont forget to run water through them!!! Never tried the pre-loaded casings on the blue tube... But Cajun Ty has an he loves them!! Just an add on... I use the small collagen casings for snack sticks and hot dogs, very easy to use and much cheaper then the lamb/sheeps casings... Though natural has better snap

legendaryhog
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I use salt packed. Basically because that's what my local grocer carries and I don't have to make a special trip to the butcher or order online. I don't have a problem with tearing. I give them a pretty good washing and try to keep the hanks separate as best I can. Mine come attached to a plastic hoop, so they are pretty easy to separate.

Pitbull
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Yep, salt packed for me too. They will just about last indefinitely that way. Never had much issue with tangling. Just have to be careful and patient..

Royalslover
02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Wait, whey you guys refer to salt packed are you talking about dry or wet brined? Technically they are both salt packed right? Also, I don't think I put enough salt in mine before I put them back in the fridge and they have a slight smell. Could they possibly still be good or should I pitch them?

Titch
02-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Wait, whey you guys refer to salt packed are you talking about dry or wet brined? Technically they are both salt packed right? Also, I don't think I put enough salt in mine before I put them back in the fridge and they have a slight smell. Could they possibly still be good or should I pitch them?

If in doubt chuck them out.
My way to store them.
I get the Hog skins in a brined vacuumed pack in the mail.
When we first open them we portion them.
The skins are usually easy to pull out individually with a central tie together.
I then make a salt water brine, until the salt will not dissolve anymore, then add more.
We then put these skins in the amount you want in small containers in the brine in the freezer, the brine should not hard freeze due to the salt content.
I use these stored for 18 months or so, never had a smell problem.
Hope I haven't confused you.
that's the way I do it down here

Cajun Ty
02-11-2015, 06:27 AM
I've used salt packed but now use these
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a498/cajuntcl/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsac58b2b7.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/cajuntcl/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsac58b2b7.jpg.html)

Easy to load and no holes or tears, one tube will do 50lbs of sausage

Pitbull
02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

It's literally packed in salt. Mine happen to be in a plastic tub.