PDA

View Full Version : Possible stainless cabinet build, thoughts?

ShencoSmoke
02-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Just bought this at auction for 30 bucks. As far as I know it works, I was planning on deep cleaning it and using it as a back up holding cabinet OR turning it into a smoker. Basically take the electronics off the top and add a stack. It would be a big square UDS style smoker. Everything else is ready there other than racks. Is it more trouble than it's worth? Thoughts?

columbia1
02-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Wow, nice score, if it were mine, I would try and fix it up and use it for it's original purpose.(Heated Holding Cabinet), would be great for vending or catering!!

landarc
02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I guess a lot would hinge on kitchen space, and whether your CVAP is likely to be enough, or if you need heated holding capacity for other items. If it can be made to work, I can see it becoming a holding cabinet for things such as mac-n-cheese or beans.

ShencoSmoke
02-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Wow, nice score, if it were mine, I would try and fix it up and use it for it's original purpose.(Heated Holding Cabinet), would be great for vending or catering!!

Yeah, that was my thought when I saw the low price. I already have a older model CVAP so I thought this might make a secondary holding cabinet in case the CVAP craps out on me. But the way it's set up is screaming for smoke!

ShencoSmoke
02-05-2015, 09:21 PM
I guess a lot would hinge on kitchen space, and whether your CVAP is likely to be enough, or if you need heated holding capacity for other items. If it can be made to work, I can see it becoming a holding cabinet for things such as mac-n-cheese or beans.

I don't have room in the kitchen but there's room in the brewery space next to the freezer and ice maker.

IamMadMan
02-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Nice price..... It looks like a nice vertical project..

swamprb
02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
If it were me, (and I've been looking for a CresCor) I would stick a pellet hopper on it.

ShencoSmoke
02-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Hmmmmm, you thinking cold smoker... Bacon, sausage,etc? If that's the case I wouldn't even need to fabricate grates, I could just slip rods in the grooves.

jestridge
02-06-2015, 08:43 AM
You be working with some thin metal here , better have the tools for the job

ButtBurner
02-06-2015, 08:49 AM
the metal is probably too thin to build a fire in

Unless you built up the firebox

a cold smoker is a fine idea

ShencoSmoke
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
I have zero experience with pellets. I looked at the hoppers, they run around $350. How about the a-maze-n pellet smoker ($35)? Would that be able to keep the cabinet up in the 160 degree range?

ButtBurner
02-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I have zero experience with pellets. I looked at the hoppers, they run around $350. How about the a-maze-n pellet smoker ($35)? Would that be able to keep the cabinet up in the 160 degree range?

no it wont

swamprb
02-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Take a look at some of the homebuilt pellet grills and smokers here:

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/pellet-hopper-pictures

just sayin'

Fwismoker
02-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Heck yea, that looks like a cabinet smoker build written all over it!

ShencoSmoke
02-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Take a look at some of the homebuilt pellet grills and smokers here:

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/pellet-hopper-pictures

just sayin'

Looks like someone has done it already.

Sausage Warrior
02-07-2015, 12:51 AM
This is a potential "Sticky". Please keep this going.

Sausage Warrior
02-07-2015, 12:54 AM
That cab, an Amazin smoking tube and an 1100 watt burner will get it. That's what I'm using (in warmer weather in Ohio) but this looks much more better built than my cheap modified brinkman vertical. Smoke dat sausage.

ShencoSmoke
02-10-2015, 08:03 PM
So I got it back. The thing actually heats but the electronics and fans are nasty dirty. I don't think I want to use it as a holding cabinet.... So smoker it is! It is very heavy and seems to have insulated walls and I didn't realize it but it is a pass through unit (doors on each end).

Question: it has a plastic gasket that seal the doors. Obviously they Are safe to a relatively high temp because it is a warming cabinet, but do you think I should replace them all with rope gasket?

ShencoSmoke
02-10-2015, 08:04 PM
That cab, an Amazin smoking tube and an 1100 watt burner will get it. That's what I'm using (in warmer weather in Ohio) but this looks much more better built than my cheap modified brinkman vertical. Smoke dat sausage.

What type of burner are you using?

landarc
02-10-2015, 08:45 PM
As long as you are working on it, might was well replace the gaskets now. Rope gasket isn't that pricey, and doing it later, which you will, will be a bother once it's all built and in use.

Mark
02-11-2015, 02:37 PM
I bought a insulated food pan holding cabinet without any electric heat and fabricated an inlet and outlet for smoke. It has a round plate on the bottom so it sits on a stainless steel 55-gallon UDS I had.

Having the electric heat might be a little more difficult to retrofit into a vertical smoker; but I think you're on the right track.