PDA

View Full Version : Egg vs conventional smoker

Smokingbilly
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
I live in the UK and was planning on buying a Good One Smoker. After shipping, taxes ... The cost of the smoker is over $3000. I can get a top of the line Green Egg for lots less and would really appreciate knowing what experienced smokers think. I am new to this. Thanks.

T&S BBQ
02-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Would it be cheaper to have one built. $3000 is a good bit of money, and the shipping cost could go towards more smoker.

DubfromGA
02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm just a guy who cooks for family & friends.

I've used Kamado grills the past five years and other grills for twenty years prior.

I am smitten with my Kamado Joe Big Joe.

I've been able to cook anything I've ever wanted to cook and been able to go as light or heavy on the smoke as I desire.

Nice moist meat and rock solid temperature control.

rwalters
02-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Pretty much the same story as DubfromGA. I too have a Kamado Joe Big Joe. Cooked on many different "cookers" prior to kamado cooking. IMO, if you are cooking for family and friends, then it doesn't really get any better then kamado style cooking. As already mentioned, there isn't really anything you can't do on a kamado. The temp control is amazing! The food stays moist! They last forever with a warranty to back it! NO rust! They are self-cleaning! And, they are a BLAST to cook on!

Now, if you are looking to compete/travel... that's a whole-nutha story. Transporting kamado's on a regular basis IMO would be a pain.

mchar69
02-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Smokin Billy - the cheap way to start smoking is with a weber 22 inch (50cm) kettle.
Or use an old Drum and make an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS).
I say go w/ a Weber 22, learn it, live it, love it.
There are many threads here (like AAWA) who get 7, 8, 9 hour smokes from their 22.

Big George's BBQ
02-05-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a large BGE and love it. I use it as a smoker and a grill. It is extremely versatile I can do bacon at 150 and sear steaks at 600 or pizza at higher temps. There are accessories that give you more room. Check out the ceramic grill store and the naked whiz. I don't thing you would regret the egg

insaneh
02-05-2015, 06:08 PM
nther vote for the BGE. You wont regret it.

Smokingbilly
02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks all. Really appreciate the replies. Makes me feel better about the egg. Thought it was cheating a bit makes a lot of sense under the circumstances.

New to this site and really love it.

SGH
02-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Brother I have a Pitmaker Vault, a large Shirley offset and three Kamados. For a small family and everyday cooking, you will be hard pressed to do any better than a Big Green Egg or one of the other higher end Kamados. They just flat out do it all and do it very well. I mentioned my other smokers just to make the point that I do have something to compare the Kamados to. Other than quantity, the BGE can give any of them more than a run for their money.

mchar69
02-05-2015, 06:30 PM
The thing the Egg gives you is super temp control -
in England, you have notoriously crappy weather.
A UDS , Weber or other smokers need wind abatement.
The ceramic grill excel at temp control, check out Charred Apron's posts
on the KBCS Comp in the Tyrol (Euro Mountains) last month!
The Green Egg was REPRESENT!
see this thread - pics are dynamite.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203666

SmokinAussie
02-05-2015, 06:33 PM
BGE all the way!

SGH
02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
After re reading my post above, I left one thing out worthy of mention. You will never quite equal the very deep smoke flavor that you can obtain with a top end offset wood fired pit. You can approach it, but you can't quite match it with a Kamado. But how it cooks and retains moisture is second to none.

SDAR
02-05-2015, 07:39 PM
I agree with SGH on the smoke and the smoke ring. Highly efficient cookers do not require as much air or fuel which results in a lessor smoke ring. It's enough for me on my egg. I love it. It will be the last one to go if I ever liquidate.

chuMP
02-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I would sell an organ before I sell my kamado. The learning curve is pretty easy since they hold temp so well. This allows you to focus more on timing and seasoning. The only drawback I have noticed is that you cannot hang meat to smoke (e.g. sausage, bacon...). Though maybe you could, I haven't tried.

Wickedcajun
02-05-2015, 08:08 PM
As stated above, if you are cooking for you and your family and friends a bge or similar is awesome... also the webers are great too... if you're looking to compete, the webers can do that to a point... depends on what you want to do... I've cooked for years on my kettles, and just recently purchased a Primo Oval XL(haven't used it yet,am building an outdoor kitchen), have heard how great the ceramic cookers are and finally pulled the trigger

Concept Que
02-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Agree with all the others about the BGE. I have one and love the versatility. I don't think you will be disappointed. I've had mine for years - smoked chili on it last month and grilled steaks on it last week.

Cajun Ty
02-05-2015, 08:30 PM
As stated above, if you are cooking for you and your family and friends a bge or similar is awesome... also the webers are great too... if you're looking to compete, the webers can do that to a point... depends on what you want to do... I've cooked for years on my kettles, and just recently purchased a Primo Oval XL(haven't used it yet,am building an outdoor kitchen), have heard how great the ceramic cookers are and finally pulled the trigger

I wonder who got you to get the Primo :peep:

LongTong
02-05-2015, 08:41 PM
I have both, Brother - plus UDSs, Weber Kettles, Hibachis, etc...
It's all about your cook and state of mind...All produce good BBQ! Like a good lover, you can't have it all in one package. As my Dr. Grandmother born in 1898 used to say..."A successful man can have a mistress...":mmph:

landarc
02-05-2015, 08:53 PM
I cook on a BGE from time to time, for smaller cooks, there is nothing as good as a BGE for the backyard cook. They are fantastic in terms of end product, but, also, extremely efficient with fuel, dial in beautifully on temperature, run long times easily. None better. I own a Weber kettle and love it, but, the BGE is clearly a superior cooker.

The Good One is a small offset and offers some distinct characteristics, but, not enough to value it at the price you are looking at paying.

SGH
02-05-2015, 08:54 PM
just recently purchased a Primo Oval XL(haven't used it yet,am building an outdoor kitchen), have heard how great the ceramic cookers are and finally pulled the trigger

You will love the Primo Oval. If it had been available a few years ago when I started buying Kamados, it's the one I would have bought. A friend of mine in NO has one. The oval shape brings a lot to the table when it comes to cooking longer meats like clod and brisket. Even though I have more smokers than I will ever need, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Jack Daniels edition Primo oval myself. The Jack version just looks cool as hell to me. Enjoy that new Primo brother!!

nd1966
02-05-2015, 08:57 PM
My Klose offset was in many ways the best I ever used for smoking and size, but overall the BGE and its relatives have won me over. I no longer need as much size, and enjoy the temperature control and long cooks on usually one load of charcoal. Overall this has become my primary unit, but my grill is still a lot of fun.

Grain Belt
02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Unless you are really concerned about fuel costs, a Weber kettle is all you need. Eggs, etc. are great smokers, but....... It is a lot of hassle to go from direct to indirect of vice versa. Now the Primo oval XL is an entirely different story. It is an extremely versatile cooker...... except for portability. I keep an old curb find Weber in my arsenal and haul it all over the countryside. I can cook anything and if some asshat steals it I will just pick up another one. I have stated dozens of time on this site, give me a kettle, a bag of KBB, and some apple wood, and I can cook damn near anything.

aztecnology
02-05-2015, 09:31 PM
I love my XL BGE, so versatile, and does everything well.

SGH
02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
I love my XL BGE, so versatile, and does everything well.

Agree 100%. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grain Belt
02-05-2015, 09:50 PM
" I own a Weber kettle and love it, but, the BGE is clearly a superior cooker."

Nonsense

insaneh
02-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Not at all. There are things a BGE can do that Weber Kettle will never be able to touch and there is nothing a Weber kettle can do that BGE can't. Not saying they are junk. I love my kettle also. But when I want to cook a low and slow and not have to keep reloading the fuel, I'll take a BGE or any Kamado style any day.

Zippylip
02-06-2015, 08:37 AM
there is nothing a Weber kettle can do that BGE can't.

Disagree. The LBGE (& smaller models) firebox is tapered in such a way that true multi-zone cooking is not a viable option. Specifically, I can pile a wicked hot fire in, say, one quarter or one third of my kettle, a single layer of coals in another third and nothing in the final third for a true & competent three zone fire (two zones are even easier), moving the food from one to the other is a simple matter of spinning the grid or sliding the food. This ability is of great value to me & simply cannot be duplicated on any of my BGE’s.

Big fan of ceramics but the be-all end-all they’re not.

Spartan Smoker
02-06-2015, 08:50 AM
shipping cost is killer but man no love for stick burners in this post except the one Klose... I sure love a stick burner, I guess its the cave man in me

insaneh
02-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Disagree. The LBGE (& smaller models) firebox is tapered in such a way that true multi-zone cooking is not a viable option. Specifically, I can pile a wicked hot fire in, say, one quarter or one third of my kettle, a single layer of coals in another third and nothing in the final third for a true & competent three zone fire (two zones are even easier), moving the food from one to the other is a simple matter of spinning the grid or sliding the food. This ability is of great value to me & simply cannot be duplicated on any of my BGE’s.

Ah true. I don't zone cook very often so I'd forgotten that.
Then again, could you not accomplish similar results with this? I saw one with solid plates once but can't find the pic.
That and with my adjustable rig, I think I could probably pull it off. Or I could just be babbling. :loco:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BF6iFtNVL.jpghttp://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/images/cg_products/LargeRigTabs/LRigHS2.jpg

SGH
02-06-2015, 08:57 AM
shipping cost is killer but man no love for stick burners in this post except the one Klose... I sure love a stick burner, I guess its the cave man in me

I love a stick burner myself. Matter of fact I love every type of smoker out there for one reason or another. I like my Shirley offset so well, that Im getting another one set up a little different than my 30x84. But I do love my Kamados too!!

Shiz-Nit
02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
I love my BGE's you can smoke, grill, sear, bake they are very versitole in use. Just make sure you get a plate setter for smoking options. We started out using our eggs in comps but moved to a backwoods and now a Deep South. But for home use one can not beat the eggs or similar type cookers.

Zippylip
02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Ah true. I don't zone cook very often so I'd forgotten that.
Then again, could you not accomplish similar results with this? I saw one with solid plates once but can't find the pic.
That and with my adjustable rig, I think I could probably pull it off. Or I could just be babbling. :loco:

Insaneh, yes there are work arounds for the BGE's & I've used them all, but none are as good as the true hot/cold zone that the Kettle does effortlessly; and I'm speaking in terms of ease of use & convenience here. The fire grate on a 22.5 inch kettle is nearly the size of the fire grid on an LBGE (in fact I use a Kettle grate as a raised grid on my BGE to do essentially what you do with your adjustable rig).

When I want zero heat under my food but also want to sear it at some point during the same cook, the kettle is perfect. Here's one example:

I frequently hot smoke (425 degrees roughly) sausage to use as a pizza topping. I'll put it on the cold side of the kettle for about 40 minutes until it is cooked & very smoky:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10360628_766776033366689_7006425936536245089_n.jpg ?oh=7d0b7801adf33a553a2b6e345075ed7a&oe=5596713E&__gda__=1432938630_29fa40bb0f9b54019f468c44807c031 2

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10412010_766776003366692_880483293197138677_n.jpg? oh=89efd5116248400faf83402ebbf5d20c&oe=5595F1DB

Then slide the grill around to the fire to put some nice char on it at the end:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1902802_766776023366690_2348810994893454736_n.jpg? oh=8f0e58677bed19069c7e2b29aad55405&oe=5558132D&__gda__=1431550134_288485c38b85c4cd740d89f3a95bbc6 0

Can I cook this same piece of sausage on the BGE, of course. Can I do it without reconfiguring it/adding a half-moon shaped piece of ceramic that'll end up with grease all over it... no. I'm all about ease of use & each cook goes to the cooker that puts up the least resistance.

As an aside & unrelated to the issue of convenience, at least for hot smokes like this I get better smoke flavor out of the kettle than I do from my egg which ends up just an added bonus for cooks like this.

Blue Smoke BBQ
02-06-2015, 09:55 AM
After re reading my post above, I left one thing out worthy of mention. You will never quite equal the very deep smoke flavor that you can obtain with a top end offset wood fired pit. You can approach it, but you can't quite match it with a Kamado. But how it cooks and retains moisture is second to none.

I agree, as mentioned, ceramics are very versatile.
Check out the Primo XL Oval for more space.

jimithing78
02-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Big fan of ceramics but the be-all end-all they’re not.

Do you have an XL BGE? I have been looking at them myself and this is my primary concern in going from a Weber kettle to a BGE. I love my multiple zone cooking. I've seen others say to block half of the grill with a stone or get an elevated cooking grate but I really just want to be able to cook on 1 grate and be able to move the food around into different zones.

DriverWild
02-06-2015, 11:22 AM
With a plate setter why would you need to set up different zones?

Zippylip
02-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Do you have an XL BGE? I have been looking at them myself and this is my primary concern in going from a Weber kettle to a BGE. I love my multiple zone cooking. I've seen others say to block half of the grill with a stone or get an elevated cooking grate but I really just want to be able to cook on 1 grate and be able to move the food around into different zones.

I do not have an XL but I've cooked on plenty of them. You'd have a much easier time getting true duel zone cooking with one because the base is far broader than a large. If true duel zone is what you're looking at in ceramic I'd check out a Primo XL, they're set up better for this type of cooking than the Egg. Or the XXL Egg, all bets are off with that monster :laugh:

Zippylip
02-06-2015, 11:46 AM
With a plate setter why would you need to set up different zones?

Well it depends on what you're cooking, if the entire cook requires only one temperature you don't need multiple zones, but if your particular cook requires the application of 2 types of heat and/or application of direct flame then you need 2 zones (ex: cool smoking zone & blasting hot searing zone).

A plate setter is an excellent tool for ceramic cookers but all it really does is turn the single hot zone into a single indirect zone..., so if you want to do a reverse sear on a big hunk of meat at the 20 minute mark you'll need to remove the meat, remove the grid, put on a giant pair of gloves, remove the setter, replace the grid & meat & then go forward. A lotta extra work given that with a kettle all you need to do is push the same hunk of meat a half a foot to the left

Smoothsmoke
02-06-2015, 01:15 PM
I've own(ed) eggs, kettles, kamado joes, WSM's, stick burners. For smoking only, nothing beats a stick burner IMO. For an all in one, a kamado is hard to beat, with the kettle at 1b.

Smokingbilly
02-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the views folks. Decided on the Good One as shipping coats cane down a bunch today and I really want to get the sticks right first. Seems to me more options to play. Cheers B

Wickedcajun
02-06-2015, 09:14 PM
You will love the Primo Oval. If it had been available a few years ago when I started buying Kamados, it's the one I would have bought. A friend of mine in NO has one. The oval shape brings a lot to the table when it comes to cooking longer meats like clod and brisket. Even though I have more smokers than I will ever need, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Jack Daniels edition Primo oval myself. The Jack version just looks cool as hell to me. Enjoy that new Primo brother!!

,Cajun Ty is hooked on his Primo and he convinced me to get one... then of course since he built an outdoor kitchen, my lovely (and mean) wife decided we (me) needed to build one too!! :tsk: honestly, I can't wait to fire it up ! :mrgreen:

Sausage Warrior
02-07-2015, 12:36 AM

Right O.

The big issue with Eggs, etc is you are stuck with your fire. No adding wood - smoke. I've not been satisfied occasionally with the amount or level of smoke with Kamado but usually just great. I hear lots of comments about many type of smokers, insulated, UDS, WSM not being able to control smoke levels. You for sure don't have that issue with offset, kettle style, or pellet (by using an Amazing Tube or similar). Nice to keep your options open.

With $3k US I would think you could find a local fabricator who could build you anything that would scare the local garden society to death (while producing
righteous Q).

http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/

BBQ_MAFIA
02-07-2015, 04:20 AM
Good luck with your choice but comparing stick burners and ceramics is like comparing apples and oranges. They are both great for different reasons. You just need to know what you expect from the tool.

I've never cooked on a Good One smoker so I can't comment on that brand.

I could of only had one cooker it would be the BGE.

CharredApron
02-07-2015, 04:32 AM
I would suggest that you buy a Webber One Touch Gold first. Then after your new addiction begins to control your senses, make room around the garden for a Primo Oval, next step is to become a Certified Bbq Judege for KCBS, then you can taste everybody else's bbq. Then you will have a Stick burner made custom for you. Then you will need a good butcher too!

Memphis Que
02-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I have a large BGE and a Backwoods smoker, and I will echo what the others have said about the BGE. It is incredible. Easy to light, keeps meet moist, holds temp very well, easy to clean, and no water pan to deal with like the Backwoods.

The only thing I don't like about it is it's capacity. It's great for a small family or group, but if I need to cook more than a few racks of ribs or butts at a time, I use the Backwoods which I also love.

DubfromGA
02-07-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm just a backyard griller.

I ran an Akorn and ran it hard for almost 3 years.

I cooked stuff I never dreamed about cooking on a grill as well as improving all the usual stuff I'd always grilled on prior charcoal and gas grills.

The Akorn blew all my prior grills away and proved that kamado grills were all I'd ever need for my family grilling needs. While the capacity of most kamados isn't enough to feed large parties....they can amaze you with their capacity if you use some well fitted multilayer racks....my 24" BigJoe can easily feed a dozen hungry folks.

I finally wore the Akorn out and my bride told me to go and buy another grill.....but get a kamado. Love that woman !!!!

I am very fortunate to have a semi-local grilling store nearby:

http://www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com

I went in there and they had a new Primo Oval XL, an XL BGE and a BigJoe set up on display.

One of the gurus who worked there helped me and answered all my questions....which were numerous.

He pulled them all together and I literally only had to lean one direction or the other to put my hands on each. The BGE was in a nest w/ side shelves, Primo in the stainless Primo cart and the Kamado Joe in the standard rack with wooden shelves.

Here are my impressions:

I'm 6'5" and instantly liked the height of the BigJoe in it's standard cart. The working surface height of the racks and grate were like they were custom made for me. I know this is an unusual consideration but it was immediate.
I immediately liked the features of the Primo Oval XL. The split firebox, multi-level split racks, split heat deflectors and color really appealed to me. Highly versatile.
I really liked the supply tools and stainless grate that came with the BigJoe (this was in 2012.....the new models now come with the D&C system that is simply unreal. Excellent value and feature loaded system).
I was very happy with the price of the BigJoe....knowing that it came with the stand and shelves and tools. When I factored the cost of these tools, stands, shelves and etc into the initial cost, the BigJoe was the clear leader.
The store Guru cited many recent warranty issues he'd been aware of from customers who owned all three models. Kamado Joe seemed to have a very, very responsive customer service orientation.

Okay....now fast forward two years. I've been loving my BigJoe.

It does everything that my old Akorn did, but has greater capacity, better temp control and a lifetime warranty.

Let me speak on the warranty, too. The gurus from Fireside came and set up my Big Joe. After a couple months I noticed there was a small gap in the gasket splice (positioned in the rear of the grill). No big deal....just looked like it was cut a bit short when initially assembled.

I snapped a pic of my gasket splice and sent them in to Kamado Joe.

Minutes later Meghan replied. Minutes. :good:.

She asked for a couple more pics of the rear and the hinge area. I didn't know why, but I obliged.

Minutes later she replied and said she didn't like the way the hinge looked either and said she take care of it. I replied with a somewhat confused thanks and continued to cook away for the next two days.

One the second day after contacting Meghan.....I was cooking and heard my dogs go nuts inside.

I went around front and see two big boxes sitting by my front door and the FedEx truck driving away. Inside of the boxes were a new gasket and new hinge and bands. I called her back and said thanks and had a question about installation. She answered my questions and I was blown away with how quick and responsive she was.

I immediately called the Guru at Fireside and proceeded to tell him how awesome that KJ was and thanked him again for helping me decide. He then offered to come by and install the hinge for me. I accepted and asked that he also bring me a few bags of the awesome Argentina lump they sold.

We set up the day and time and they arrived and got me taken care off. I never missed a single day's cooking on my BigJoe.

The current Kamado Joe grills now offer some insane goodies with their grills....all part of the initial buy. You open the box and already have heat deflectors, firebox divider w/ BigJoes, Divide & Conquer rack system, ash tool, grate lifter, side trays and a very nice looking cart with excellent locking wheels. All you need to add is a cover and you are set.

I can also say that Kamado Joe has maintained their customer service focus and has been spot on with my needs. I cracked a fire ring and later on my firebox. Both were replaced without question. The fire ring arrived overnight. The firebox took a bit longer due to product availability, however I received and email from the company's owner explaining the delay and request that I call his cellphone number. I called him.....he was navigating his way through Chicago traffic at that moment and he we spoke. He was calm, not rushed and explained why there was a delay and assured me to to keep on grilling with the old firebox and put the new one he was sending me in the garage and wait to use it decades later. :) How cool is that ? !!!! #kamadojoe

I do want a grill that has more capacity to add to that arsenal. I would like to cook ribs and butts easily for my coworkers (~ 35 people).

Portability would be nice.....so would the ability to simply cook it at home...and transport in coolers to work. The coolers would keep them ribs, butts and chicken nice and warm for hours.

I will be buying a cabinet style smoker and Guru or Stoker later this year for this purpose. I've just got to do some homework and decide which one.

I could keep the Stumps, Backwoods, LonestarGrillz or whichever one I go with in the garage and roll it out when needed for these cooks.

kolky
02-07-2015, 01:23 PM
I've got the Primo XL and as other have said it or the BGE are incredible grills. Extremely versatile and can grill, smoke, or sear just fine. Personally I prefer the oval shape and completely split setup of the Primo over the Egg.

The only issue I have with smoking on the Primo or the Egg is that it is extremely difficult to add more smoke wood once they are going due to the fact you have to remove an extremely hot heat deflector plate to do it.