PDA

View Full Version : I want to do something different with a brisket

krshome
02-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I want to bump up the flavor of my brisket. Im looking to inject or marinate it. Does anyone have some good recipes or ideas for this? I know the traditionalists will say it taste good just BBQ'ed with a little S&P and I agree, I just want a little change on this one. Thanks

Smokin69th
02-05-2015, 02:28 PM
There are several commercial brisket injections (my faves are Butcher's or Kosmo's) or you can make your own using a beef stock as a base. I've even heard of folks using Dr. Pepper as a brisket enhancer. It all depends on the flavors you want to get in the end product.

Pitbull
02-05-2015, 02:53 PM
I want to bump up the flavor of my brisket. Im looking to inject or marinate it. Does anyone have some good recipes or ideas for this? I know the traditionalists will say it taste good just BBQ'ed with a little S&P and I agree, I just want a little change on this one. Thanks

If you use a sweeter rub, you can put a small amount in water and bring it to a boil for a few minutes. Strain it through some cheese cloth, or something similar, and inject the brisket with it after it cools. Go kind of light on the injection until you get thinks figured out. You're going to have to experiment with the rub/water ratio. I do it by taste.

I've done this with a few of my briskets and it really added to it. It also came out reall juicy and tender.

aawa
02-05-2015, 02:59 PM
If you really want to try to do something different with your brisket, watch some of Pitmaster T's videos. I will say that it was hard for me to watch his videos and due to his hijinx but some people love what he does. What I did get was a great way to really elevate brisket and shoulder clod flavors using other great Umami boosters using ingredients such as fish sauce as well as his spanish castle magic.

GTR also has a great cook thread from the last couple months about cooking a beef shoulder clod and using mushroom base to really bring out the umami flavor of beef.

Big Dan
02-05-2015, 04:05 PM
I don't understand why you would want to do something like that. Beef Brisket has the best Beef flavor out there, and in my opinion, it cannot be improved. But, If you wish to inject, inject away!

krshome
02-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I don't understand why you would want to do something like that. Beef Brisket has the best Beef flavor out there, and in my opinion, it cannot be improved. But, If you wish to inject, inject away!

Yup! As said, I too like it cooked with just S&P, but i want something different this time. My grandfather never had pizza until on his death bed and after trying it for the first time loved it and died two days later, I don't want to die not experiencing different things.

Ron_L
02-05-2015, 07:28 PM
You could grind it and make burgers. That would be different. :-D

krshome
02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
You could grind it and make burgers. That would be different. :-D

Do you have a good seasoning for that burger?

Pitbull
02-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Yup! As said, I too like it cooked with just S&P, but i want something different this time. My grandfather never had pizza until on his death bed and after trying it for the first time loved it and died two days later, I don't want to die not experiencing different things.

Amen to that brother.. :clap2:

BaronVonOttomatic
02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Get yourself a larding needle and there are all sorts of possibilities. Infuse it with fresh garlic and herbs, pineapple, breakfast sausage...

Injecting a traditional Oriental marinade of ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and sweet rice wine might be interesting.

Ron_L
02-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Do you have a good seasoning for that burger?

Tatonka Dust from Owens BBQ.

Or, salt and pepper :-D

krshome
02-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Amen to that brother.. :clap2:

I had a turkey London Broil marinated in I think a Teriyaki sauce, In Morristown NJ and it was Frickin delicious. I never would have thought. I would love the same flavor profile but really have no idea what they used. BTW did not taste like turkey at all.

landarc
02-05-2015, 08:58 PM
I've played around, mentally, with the idea of making a French onion/mushroom soup stock and injecting it into a brisket or chuck roast. Oddly, the idea has not happened. But, it always strikes me that beef, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper all play well together

krshome
02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I've played around, mentally, with the idea of making a French onion/mushroom soup stock and injecting it into a brisket or chuck roast. Oddly, the idea has not happened. But, it always strikes me that beef, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper all play well together

I was just thinking the same thing, Weird! I was thinking beef stock with onion soup mix (strained) injected into the brisket.

Zak
02-06-2015, 08:36 AM
You could always stuff the flat with sausage, onions and peppers. I tried it once and it was pretty damn good!!!

SmittyJonz
02-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Brine It and then Microwave it for 3.7 hrs......

ButtBurner
02-06-2015, 10:47 AM
I just did a nice flat for the Super Bowl

I am not a fan of injecting but decided to try and inject some Butchers BBQ and a slight rub with Oakridge Black OPS

It came out excellent, one of the best I have ever done.

I was surprised, really

AlwaysSmokey
02-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Back in 98-99 I used to use alot of Italian dressing. I cut fresh bell peppers, onions, garlic, jalepenos, and covered the raw brisket in them. Then poured the Italian dressing over everything. Marinated in the fridge for 2 days. Picked up good flavors. I would pull it out and pat dry and smoke like I do now, low and slow. I think if I revisited this method I would add a s+p rub. I tried injecting, just never got a good distribution of flavors I was trying impart. Just ain't an injection guy I guess. To each their own. Anyways, I don't do any of that anymore, but it's fun to tinker with methods. Good luck bub.

Bludawg
02-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Just send it to me and I'll show ya the pics :heh:

retfr8flyr
02-06-2015, 03:11 PM
I would also recommend trying some Tatonka Dust on the brisket. If you like the flavor of Worcester sauce you will love Tatonka Dust.

Adjg04
02-06-2015, 03:27 PM
I have marinated it in Dales seasoning before and has turned out pretty good.

MossyMO
02-10-2015, 06:10 PM
The flavor of the Tatonka Dust seasoning goes well with brisket, not changing it, just enhancing the flavor. To improve the bark on the finished brisket we like mixing one part Tatonka Dust seasoning with one part Turbinado sugar.