PDA

View Full Version : Thought I Was Past Messing Up A Rib Cook!

Happy Hapgood
02-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Well, I was already to smoke some St. Louis style for the Superbowl. In my infinite wisdom I thought, "Hey! Let's change it up some this time". So began my epic rib fail.

I don't need to remove the membrane, it will cook away and I won't even notice it. I'll just score it instead.

Hey! This time I'll just wrap the WSM water bowl in foil and leave it empty.

And no need to foil the ribs, I'll let them run straight through.

And finally, My ribs could use alittle more smoke flavor than the last time I did them. Let's double up on the Pecan wood.

I did not even check them for 5 hours using the mighty Maverick ET-732. When I did they looked very dark but did not fully pass the bend test. Went another hour. Man, they were almost black. I thought well more smoke got absorbed this time. They passed the bend test.

They were the worse tasting ribs ever. Boiled ribs would taste better. Crockpot ribs would taste better.

The bark was hard as a rock and the meat was bitter as hell! Told the wife to toss them. We were vegans last night.

I learned alot after doing maybe over 100 good racks of ribs but I learned more by messing up a couple of racks. :tsk:

Rant over.

THoey1963
02-02-2015, 05:12 PM
The ribs I made yesterday were far from my best, but at least they were edible. I cringed every time someone gave me a compliment on them...

Maybe it was just a bad day for ribs... :mrgreen:

DriverWild
02-02-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm sure a lot of us have been there as we like to experiment. Sorry to hear this one didn't work out.

Ol'Joe
02-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I've gone totally to vertical rib cooking in my WSM, they're done in half the time and taste great, last one was a smallist BB, only took 2hr to tender, good color, try it you may like it.

el_matt
02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
I feel ya. I took off the second half of my shift on Saturday, to start the weekend early, and cook some ribs. I got held over an hour, and by the time the meat got on, I was 2 hours late. No worries, I'll go hot and fast. When the ribs came out of the foil, some of the bones actually fell out! They tasted good, but were far from the way they normally turn out. Wife liked them, and my son's girlfriend loved them (but she's never had my ribs). Long story short, don't fix what ain't broken!

Matt

landarc
02-02-2015, 05:43 PM
But NOOOO! It turns out that thinking is your worst enemy. Just shut up and cook the ribs, like always.

Happy Hapgood
02-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I've gone totally to vertical rib cooking in my WSM, they're done in half the time and taste great, last one was a smallist BB, only took 2hr to tender, good color, try it you may like it.

What temp you run that rig at when you do those BB's? Sounds good!

smoke ninja
02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
how would vertical shave over an hour off cook time?

Bbq Bubba
02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
You did everything right, up until you added the extra wood. :(

Happy Hapgood
02-02-2015, 07:57 PM
You did everything right, up until you added the extra wood. :(

I'm in agreement and what a pizzer it was tasting the final product... One farking mistake ruined a whole afternoon food wise. :evil:

Ol'Joe
02-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I think the temp was about 325, no water pan at all, 1/2 basket of unlit, 1/2 chimney on top, something about the position of the meat, I think I read it in this forum somewhere, the meat hangs down but the end doesn't burn, don't know the physics but it works, did a sirloin roast like that also, again, good. Wish I could be more exact.

revkab
02-02-2015, 08:11 PM
I gotta secret technique for special events or friends - do what worked best in the past.

If'n ya got to try something new, do it on yourself, and do only one thing at a time (unless you can't never get it right)

Happy Hapgood
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
I gotta secret technique for special events or friends - do what worked best in the past.

If'n ya got to try something new, do it on yourself, and do only one thing at a time (unless you can't never get it right)

Yep, this was not my first rodeo either. When in doubt, try it out on the wife first. :becky:

93vpmod
02-02-2015, 08:19 PM
My two worst cooks in the last year were rib cooks for guests...as you say, lesson learned. Repetition may be boring but you can depend on it!

Bludawg
02-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Bubba nailed it, how hot wher you running? Might need alittle more air too.

Wickedcajun
02-02-2015, 08:27 PM
I try to "fix" things too...:tsk::tsk::tsk:

Happy Hapgood
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Bubba nailed it, how hot wher you running? Might need alittle more air too.

My plan was to run 250-270*F with no water in pan of the 18.5 WSM. I had no substrate in the WP other than wrapped in foil. Temps did climb to 280*F acouple of times during the cook. When it hit above 280, I did close off all bottom vents but always left top vent 100% open for the duration of the Clusterfark.

Smoke Dawg
02-02-2015, 08:46 PM
You learn so much more when things go bad than you do when everything works out.

You don't know where the "edge" is until you go over it it just a little

I've been to the edge! I stood and looked down, I lost a lot of friends there.............

Bludawg
02-02-2015, 08:57 PM
My plan was to run 250-270*F with no water in pan of the 18.5 WSM. I had no substrate in the WP other than wrapped in foil. Temps did climb to 280*F acouple of times during the cook. When it hit above 280, I did close off all bottom vents but always left top vent 100% open for the duration of the Clusterfark.
One thing I learnd young when riding a new horse let him have his head same applies here: take what the pit gives you and roll with it. Don't get hung up fighting the pit temp and get thrown.

Trailer Trash
02-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Toast, I appreciate your honesty. I see a lot of successful cooks here but seldom a flop and I just had the exact same flop 3 weeks ago. Over smoked. Over cooked. Over dry. Mine was the worst I've ever had. Couldn't get em in the garbage fast enough... but my ego posted no comments or pics. You give me encouragment to be more honest!!!:hail:

rookiedad
02-02-2015, 11:28 PM
must be a trend... i demolished two racks of st. louis ribs earlier this week. i still ate them though! :grin:

smoke ninja
02-03-2015, 04:35 AM
I love failed cook threads for some reason. Not in a mean or malicious way but its like others said, you learn more from 1 fail than 10 successes. Besides you have to laugh to keep from crying i say. my favorite cook threads are the live ones though. Let the chips fall where they may.

1buckie
02-03-2015, 04:47 AM
But NOOOO! It turns out that thinking is your worst enemy. Just shut up and cook the ribs, like always.

One thing I learnd young when riding a new horse let him have his head same applies here: take what the pit gives you and roll with it. Don't get hung up fighting the pit temp and get thrown.

Thinking, or at least over-thinking, is the worst thing that can happen to BBQ

Sorry it went south, man......:oops:

Had one awhile back that almost went over.....fell asleep on the couch while letting them go "just a little bit more"......near miss...........:-o:-o

Cajun Ty
02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear that Toast, but you never know till you try :becky:, i tried something different with my ribs Sunday and it worked out great and will be doing it from now on. I put them on top my extention rack and cooked them at 225-235 for 6 hours without foiling and they were probably the best i ever done so like i said you never know till you try :thumb:

DubfromGA
02-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Rib cooks that turn out well are usually the norm, but I agree that you can learn a lot on the fails.

I'm always tinkering around with different rubs and stuff, however I always remove the membranes.

Eastcoastsmoke
02-03-2015, 09:28 AM
I failed on my ribs this past weekend too. I cook on an older lang and had stuff on the bottom rack that I didn't want to ribs to drip on so I figured I would place foil under the ribs on the top rack. Wound up with hardly any smoke ring and even after adding an extra hour to the cook could not get the meat to pull up and get tender.

Nvoges
02-03-2015, 11:02 AM
There must have been something in the air this past weekend, as I too ruined some ribs. I was busy with a construction project on the house and wasn't monitoring the temp of my kettle. I built a ring of fire like normal, but somehow, both sides of my ring got lit so I essentially had twice the heat I usually do. I was completely baffled when I checked the ribs 2 hours into the cook. It looks like I need to be more attentive during my cook.

legendaryhog
02-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Thinking....a dangerous pastime....sorry bout those ribs, I hate over-smoked (bitter) bbq. It is worse than ribs that fall off the bone. Been there bro, I feel for you.

gtr
02-03-2015, 11:21 AM
It's never too late to mess stuff up - trust me on this one!

Also - I'm more of a fan of the toothpick test than the bend test. I've found that if the ribs are really meaty, they may not bend until it's too late. I'll always check for the bend, but confirm with the toothpick.

dadsr4
02-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Should have removed the membrane.

dadsr4
02-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I usually only go 4 to 4 1/2 hours for untrimmed spares, I would think 5 hours for STL's is too long.

Big George's BBQ
02-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Too much wood will definately give a bitter taste- Have done this too many times. The black color could be burnt sugar- sugar that was in the rub and if you dont want to take off the membrane pt the ribs briely over direct heat it will burn off