PDA

View Full Version : Lump vs. Briquets

J&B'sBBQ
02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Just wondering what people that cook on gravity fed cookers prefer to use. Also, what brand do you like? We've always used Royal Oak lump in our off-set, but we're newbs to this whole gravity fed thing, and I figured this is a great place to get some feedback on charcoal :).

*We primarily cook competition, but I figured there are a lot of people lingering here in QTalk so it's a good place to ask!* :grin:

Thanks!

Bludawg
02-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Most folks use Briquettes because that are afraid of a logjam, if it was me I'd try lump. Dump it out in a wheel barrow and make sue all the pieces are broken to roughly the same size no bigger than a briquette and it should work just fine. I'm not a big Brigitte lover.

BaronVonOttomatic
02-01-2015, 03:49 PM
What he said. Break up any large or oddly shaped chunks before you fill the chute so it will feed consistently and you should have no worries.

J&B'sBBQ
02-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Most folks use Briquettes because that are afraid of a logjam, if it was me I'd try lump. Dump it out in a wheel barrow and make sue all the pieces are broken to roughly the same size no bigger than a briquette and it should work just fine. I'm not a big Brigitte lover.

Neither are we, and I figured that is the main reason people use briquettes, but I really like lump...

dj-ia
02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I used both in my Assassin 24 and never had a jam with lump dumped straight from the bag. Maybe dumb luck I have that once in a great while.