PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Frozen Butt

Tom Sellecks Mustache
01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
A while back I got a smoking deal on a butt that was nearing expiration. I got it home and put in right in the freezer, but it was still only a day or two before it's sell by date. With it being that close, I think my best bet would be to defrost it as rapidly as possible and then cook.

Any suggestions on the best way to get something at thick as a butt defrosted and ready to go?

I know it's best to leave it under cold running water, but I've only got one sink to use so can't really take it up for this.

Ryan Abood
01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Put it in a bag and submerge it in cold water.

PatAttack
01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Throw it on there partially thawed. You will be surprised!

It won't affect your results. May want to wrap when you get the color you want.

theTastyCat
01-30-2015, 11:27 AM
I've defrosted a 3-pack of spares in the bathtub before! Lol...what a mess I made THROUGHOUT the house. But it was an emergency!

Running water does seem to be the very best way; it took about an hour or so to get the ribs defrosted. It's all about keeping the water moving so the water nearest the meat that gets chilled then gets moved away so it will keep defrosting. Maybe put it in a 5-gal bucket if not the bathtub? But if it's still sealed, I'd bathtub that bad boy!

Good luck!

Tom Sellecks Mustache
01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
It's still cryo wrapped, so there shouldn't be any problems with meat mess all over. I didn't think to use the bathtub though, that's a solid plan. Might start it tonight in there, back in the fridge, then back to the bathtub Saturday night to be ready for Sunday morning.

I still have this sinking suspicion that all go through all this and then open it up to god awful smell and have to pick up a new one anyways.

AussieMatt
01-30-2015, 12:06 PM
A while back I got a smoking deal on a butt that was nearing expiration. I got it home and put in right in the freezer, but it was still only a day or two before it's sell by date.

That was it's sell by date, not use by date. I would think that you can thaw it normally and you'd be fine.

Check these out:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/19013cb7-8a4d-474c-8bd7-bda76b9defb3/Food_Product_Dating.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

http://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/meats/how-long-does-pork-last/

T.R.
01-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Agree with AussieMat. It should be fine thawed normally in the fridge.

IamMadMan
01-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I also agree with AussieMat and T.R.. It will be fine thawed tomorrow or even if you leave it frozen for a month then thaw it.

kls44
01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Stick it in a cooler of cold water. If you want water running on it, stick a hose in the cooler and turn it on. You don't need a lot of water running, just enough to keep the water moving.

Jason TQ
01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Cold running water. For one butt I'll put it in my 8 quart stock pot and put that in the sink and let the water flow.