PDA

View Full Version : Habanero Death Dust and Ribs

Spicy-Meat
01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm making some ribs for the Super Bowl. I wanted to give my HDD a try. How does this rub taste on ribs? Is it very spicy?

Dweverett
01-29-2015, 09:58 PM
I haven't tried it on ribs but would think it would be pretty hot - depending on heavy you go. I love it and use it on a wide variety of things beyond Q but it has a kick

Smoking Bruin
01-29-2015, 10:19 PM
I've used it on wings and BBs with great success. It's not that hot to me, but I'm a chile head.

jamaicamon
01-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Do it! I think it will be great.:mrgreen:

AClarke44
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm making some ribs for the Super Bowl. I wanted to give my HDD a try. How does this rub taste on ribs? Is it very spicy?

I've learned that one persons perception of spicy can be way different than anothers. I've eaten "spicy" things that didn't even make me sweat and another person took one bite and turned red with sweat dripping for 10 minutes after. I did grow up in Louisiana though :biggrin1:
Having said that, I don't think the Death Dust is overly spicy. I mean it can be but really it's about how much you put on. I made some chicken with it and could barely taste "heat". So the next time I used it I made wings. Pretty much followed the recipe on Oak Ridge website but added more HDD just before putting on the grill and again about half way through. So I put a lot of HDD on them. They were pretty dang fiery then! But I must say I still dipped them on some Habanero BBQ sauce a friend bought me. Yum Yum Yum!
My advice...try it, just go easy at first OR mix it in with your normal rib rub to fire it up a tad. Good luck!

93vpmod
01-29-2015, 10:34 PM
It's my go to on ribs...HDD & Dominator is awesome as well!

IamMadMan
01-29-2015, 10:37 PM
I agree with AClarke44, not everyone likes the same levels of heat. Hot to one, could mean mild to another.

I have used it on chicken, I use a regular rub to start and half way through the cook I add the HDD. A little heat with a lot of flavor!!!

All I can do is to suggest to taste it with your finger and see what you like. If it's to hot for you, use it sparingly with another rub.

sylntghost
01-29-2015, 10:39 PM
i love death dust on ribs. the more you put on the hotter it will be.to me if i go heavy on the rub its as hot as a really hot jalapeno.i love to sweat when i eat spicey food so i can take a lot.

Cloudsmoker
01-29-2015, 11:10 PM
A light dusting is my go-to first layer. Then I cover it with an all-purpose rub, finish it sweet. For me, I think the heat should be the last flavor layer you taste on a rib -- if it starts off too hot, that may be all your taste buds will notice. But a little heat on the finish ... so nice.

Also the thing about Habanero chiles is the cleanliness of the taste -- much less so than cayenne, jalapenos, etc. The upside to this is that it will compliment almost any other rub or flavor layer you want to add.

mikemci
01-30-2015, 12:25 AM
Like others have said, I use it along with other rubs. Start out light and then you'll know what to do on your next cook. You WILL like it.....just how much to use is the question.

ssv3
01-30-2015, 01:16 AM
I just tried HDD on my first ever fatty and it was killer. I'd give it a go.

Q Junkie
01-30-2015, 04:45 AM
It's my go to on ribs...HDD & Dominator is awesome as well!

I just did some spares this last weekend with Dominator and HDD and they were outstanding. I can take some heat but I did not go very heavy on the HDD because this was my first time using it on ribs.
The left overs got a good recoating of the HDD a blob of butter and sous vide in a vac bag for 3 hrs, and that kicked up the heat just the right amount for me.:clap2:

So in other words......yes do it and adjust according to your tastes. :wink:

NeilH
01-30-2015, 05:46 AM
Have found unless it's ghost peppers in it, it's not hot. Go for it let us know.

FireboxBBQ
01-30-2015, 10:20 AM
I did a rack of spares last Sunday and laid the HDD on pretty thick, and no other rub was applied. The spares weren't the main entree and I let everyone know that the HDD might be too hot for some of them.
About 5-6 different people tried them other than myself, and every single one of them absolutely loved the HDD.
Keep in mind that all of the people who tried the ribs did so because they are people who like spicy foods, so that sample of people might be skewed.
A sample made up of both people who like spicy, and those who don't like it might end up with a percentage who don't like the rub.

Nvoges
01-30-2015, 10:45 AM
I love it on my ribs. I usually mix it with another rub, but it's pretty good straight up if you like it spicy.

Smokin69th
01-30-2015, 02:41 PM
I cooked a set of St. Louis cut ribs last weekend that I dusted with HDD just before applying the sauce. Back on the cooker for 45min to let it all set up and it was incredible. Warm and flavorful, not overpowering. I would cook a set with differing amounts of rub and dial in your taste buds (and the family).

mcgrew6188
01-30-2015, 02:56 PM
I mix half and half with smokin guns hot for ribs. good stuff