PDA

View Full Version : Hot Plates

CharredApron
01-27-2015, 03:54 AM
Coming from Florida this has not been an issue and I don't recall having these issues when I lived in CT for 20 years. However, living here in the country in Southern France, when I take dinner plates out of the cupboard they are COLD and when I put hot food on them within only a few minutes everything is cold!

I have been forced to heat them in the oven, microwave or on the cook top. Recently, I decided to just run them under hot water in the sink to pre heat them.It's much faster and uses less energy.

How do you deal with this?

qman
01-27-2015, 04:44 AM
For small number of plates, if I have anything cooking inside on the gas range, I just stack the dishes on an unused burner, and the heat is enough.
For larger number of guests, I use a rinse and dry cycle on my dishwasher; plates get plenty hot, and will hold warm for a long time.
ETA: And yes, with the AC running most of the time, plates coming out of my cupboard are quite cold.

Wolverine
01-27-2015, 04:55 AM
thats why I use paper,

aawa
01-27-2015, 12:40 PM
I put them in the oven at a low temp.

Enrico Brandizzi
01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
My great problem here is my Wife! She put all my plates and wodden plates outside the terrace and now during the winter they are extremely cold. So I perfectly understand your problem wich I resolved putting them inside home over the heater. It works well.

Big George's BBQ
01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Talk to Peeps he has fine china that probably stays a neutral temp :-P

landarc
01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
And that was one of my first tasks walking into the restaurant every day, load up the days dishes over the stove, so they heated up.

You should have installed a plate warmer (and yes, they exist). Easiest to just put them on the stove or in the oven when warming.

Displaced Texan
01-27-2015, 01:29 PM
If they are microwave safe (and if you have a microwave), stack them and nuke them for 30 seconds.

FC BBQ
01-27-2015, 01:32 PM
In the oven on low. Turn the oven off after a couple of minutes.

rookiedad
01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
this is a great question. i never ate off a hot plate until this past Christmas season when i went to a restaurant that heated them. totally changed my eating experience. would love to know the best way. i thought i might crack my plates if i put them in the oven.

qman
01-27-2015, 03:48 PM
this is a great question. i never ate off a hot plate until this past Christmas season when i went to a restaurant that heated them. totally changed my eating experience. would love to know the best way. i thought i might crack my plates if i put them in the oven. As someone else pointed out; turn oven to lowest setting, and when you put plates in, turn oven off. Plates will stay hot a long time. Have you ever had salad from a frozen salad bowl? Another revelation.

Bob in St. Louis
01-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm often frustrated by serving food on cold plates too.
In my kitchen, we have a small stainless oven setting on the island. Inevitably, "something" has to be cooked or warmed in the oven. The top of the unit gets considerably hot, too hot to put a plate on, so I'll put a pot holder on the oven and put the plates on that. It's the perfect temp to serve on (little kiddies won't burn fingers).

If the oven isn't on, I'll put them inside and turn it on for a few minutes.

Bob in St. Louis
01-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Oh....Many years ago, I would put them on the electric stove for a few seconds to warm them up. Once, I forgot and the plate EXPLODED. Little shards of molten glass went EVERYWHERE.
Those little bits of glass were hot enough to melt holes in Formica counter-tops, vinyl flooring, and engineered 'wood' flooring.

So I don't do that anymore. duh.

Bludawg
01-27-2015, 07:13 PM
I use Good Redneck China> Paper plates for company dinners & the dish washer has a plate warmer cycle on it

Wickedcajun
01-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Ima paper plate user too

NeilH
01-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Paper here will do too.

Bob in St. Louis
01-27-2015, 10:56 PM
I've tried paper plates, but after warming them in the oven, they tend to start smoking and turn an odd yellow/brownish color.

retired trucker
01-28-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm often frustrated by serving food on cold plates too.
In my kitchen, we have a small stainless oven setting on the island. Inevitably, "something" has to be cooked or warmed in the oven. The top of the unit gets considerably hot, too hot to put a plate on, so I'll put a pot holder on the oven and put the plates on that. It's the perfect temp to serve on (little kiddies won't burn fingers).If the oven isn't on, I'll put them inside and turn it on for a few minutes.

^^^^^
+ 1- this

Omar

silverfinger
01-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Why have I always settled for cold plates ? :shock:
Not that it ever gets real cold where I live.
I just never thought of warming them up before serving food. :drama:
Im just to dam old to be learning this stuff when I should have known this my whole life. WOW!!

Thanks Jed!! :thumb:

tish
01-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Stacked in the microwave

Enrico Brandizzi
01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
This is what I mean

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/16203683237_8208d98f84_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqnessdotcom/16203683237/)
Senza titolo (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqnessdotcom/16203683237/) di BBQness (https://www.flickr.com/people/bbqnessdotcom/), su Flickr

CharredApron
01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Good Job Enrico, double duty!

landarc
01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
The pan is usually hot when I am eating out of it

CharredApron
01-28-2015, 01:47 PM
The pan is usually hot when I am eating out of it
Thalia frowns on that behavior, she claims it melts the placemat!