PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion?

305Q
01-24-2015, 12:28 PM
What is the best store-bought sauce. I am in South Florida, just as a regional (but not limited to) option.

sylntghost
01-24-2015, 12:33 PM
i like sweet baby rays spicey,stubs spicey,sonnys sizzlin sweet.

lantern
01-24-2015, 01:19 PM
As far as sweet goes I like Blues Hog original. Vinegar style I like Blues Hog Tenn Red and George's hot.

Sausage Warrior
01-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Secret Six.

IamMadMan
01-24-2015, 01:27 PM
For store bought sauce, I would say Texas-Texas good to the bone, is probably the best, but I am sure it is regional. Not overly sweet, and full of savory flavor.

The next best sauce would be "Stubbs" which can be found everywhere, and comes in many styles. Original or Mild is what I use most for groups, but they also have spicy and sweet heat as well.

Next on the list is Head Country with a similar profile, available in some Sam's Clubs stores.

If you like sweet, the the suggestion of Sweet Baby Rays is good, as well as Dinosaur BBQ Sauce, and Garland Secret Six.

There are so many choices, try some of them and find a favorite.

oldbill
01-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Head Country Original!:-D

Bludawg
01-24-2015, 02:04 PM
The one I concoct from all the stuff I buy at the store Depending on the meat du jor. I buy no food that is built in a factory I buy ingredients.

BigBobBQ
01-24-2015, 02:15 PM
I tend to go with Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays but I always doctor them up with other stuff to fit my needs.

Monkey Uncle
01-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Store-bought sauce...what the hell?!?! Google some sauce recipes, try a few, then modify them to suit your taste. You'll never use sauce from a bottle again.

dadsr4
01-24-2015, 04:03 PM
What ever my wife buys.

Drake
01-24-2015, 04:05 PM
From the store I like the Stubbs spicey.

sgm2004
01-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Sweet Baby Rays seems to be the most popular with most of my cooks. I like Famous Daves Rich & Sassy especially in my baked beans. After a cooking class with Dizzy Pig they turned me on to Eat BBQ nice stuff. All seem popular but not as much as SBRs. Dickens BBQ (Hot) is pretty nice also. But my personal favourite is Craigs Home Style MED from DeValls Bluff AR. Especially on pulled pork. I ate my frist Craigs in 1972 and still enjoy it. Not everyone likes it though. Just my 2 cents.

sgm2004
TS-120
2 Ea Smoken Pits
BBQTEK

Sausage Warrior
01-24-2015, 04:21 PM
My real favorite is little or NO SAUCE! That means I did a good cook.

The deal is cooking for others and your average Joe will probably like a sweet Baby Ray sauce (which is why they're so popular and available cheaply in restaurant supply stores) and often the pit boss will flavor it in addition to that.

I've made my own several times and like it for my tastes but if cooking for others it's usually the desire for similar to Rays kind of flavor - sweet!

I also dig some Memphis dry rub ribs I think this one is more of a question of what your average Marylou and Ralph are used to if trying to please a crowd and that's usually the store bought favs, unfortunately.

Do competition cooks use the same sauce as they serve to their customers? I have no idea since I can't judge comp but eat what's sold. I always figure its a bit more complex than out of a bottle but would love to know.

I guess that's another thread?

STLBBQer
01-24-2015, 05:59 PM
For "available practically everywhere" mass-market site bought sauce, Stubb's Original is my favorite. For a bit more regional, but still available in a large amount of stores, I think Head Country is hard to beat.

Bluebyyou
01-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Sweet Baby Rays - Sweet Vidalia Onion
Bone Sucking Sauce. Runs thin.
Toms Guava BBQ Sauce. Got it at Whole Foods.

I like it sweet and wet.

Blackwatch
01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
I'll echo the same as a lot of others: I prefer the one that we make, but if we have to go with boughten, it goes by this list.

Famous Dave's Sweet and Spicy
Sweet Baby Ray's
Bullseye Original
KC Masterpiece

But making your own helps tune it for your own tastes. It also helps if you have a wife who has converted a closet to a pantry and has stores of spices on hand for tinkering with.

Sauce Dog
01-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Bullseye original doesn't suck. Their ingredients are fairly natural compared to many of the other cheapo brands, though I haven't actually tried Stubbs.

ironmanerik
01-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Try Pats ho-made they have it at publix

305Q
01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
I saw Pats and laughed my butt off. No pun intended. Is it good?

T&S BBQ
01-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Tried to make my own several times, then I tried Blues Hog Original. Enough said

SmokinAussie
01-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Unicorn Jizz. Not sure it is on your shelves though...

Happy Hapgood
01-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Kraft H O T mixed 50/50 with KC or the like. So much of the stuff on the market these days tastes like oversweet catchup.

packerQ
01-24-2015, 11:37 PM
My favorite is Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Monkey Uncle
01-25-2015, 05:44 AM
My real favorite is little or NO SAUCE! That means I did a good cook.

The deal is cooking for others and your average Joe will probably like a sweet Baby Ray sauce (which is why they're so popular and available cheaply in restaurant supply stores) and often the pit boss will flavor it in addition to that.

I've made my own several times and like it for my tastes but if cooking for others it's usually the desire for similar to Rays kind of flavor - sweet!

I also dig some Memphis dry rub ribs I think this one is more of a question of what your average Marylou and Ralph are used to if trying to please a crowd and that's usually the store bought favs, unfortunately.

Do competition cooks use the same sauce as they serve to their customers? I have no idea since I can't judge comp but eat what's sold. I always figure its a bit more complex than out of a bottle but would love to know.

I guess that's another thread?

In my experience, many people think they prefer a gloopy, sweet KC-style sauce out of the bottle because that's all they've ever had. When I feed guests my home-made, heavy-on-the-vinegar NC sauces, it's like their eyes are opened to a whole new world. They can't believe BBQ can taste that good!

ironmanerik
01-25-2015, 07:43 AM
I saw Pats and laughed my butt off. No pun intended. Is it good?

It has been my store bought go to for years. Not sweet but not too much vinegar, a little smokey and its cheap its worth the two bucks to see if it will work for you.

Backyard Smoke
01-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Try Shealy's BBQ Sauce , (www.shealeysbbq.com) . You can order via there web site and I know they would love to ship you a gallon or 2 . It's genuine made in SC ( Certified ) . Good stuff. Mustard based sauce , and vinegar based sauce . I love it. They are in Lexington SC . Bout 1 hr. and a half from my location.

Pitbull
01-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Stubbs Original,,,if I have to use a store bought.

SteveKing
01-25-2015, 08:28 AM
For ribs and chicken - Stubbs Sweet Heat, FTW!

Oak-n-hickory
01-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Sauce is hardly ever required on good BBQ, IMHO, but if you must, try Crazy Charlie's (formerly called Crazy Cajun), especially the hot version. Another good one is Two Fat Guys (I believe they're up to about five flavors these days).

PappaOscar
01-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Since your in Florida, I've takin a liking to Sonny's bbq sauce. Don't care to much for their food, I do like the sauce.

Ron_L
01-25-2015, 05:24 PM

I hear it's pretty good...

:shock:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/9d/e5/f3/unicorn.jpg

SuburbSlicker
01-26-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm from the "sauce on the side" school as well. I usually serve my meat dry and let my guests experiment a little. I'll put out a couple of bowls with a label so folks can try what they like. That's part of the fun too.

I'll usually do SBR for pork (most folks like a sweet sauce), some Sonny's Sizzlin Sweet for those who like a little heat, Stubbs Original for beef, and if I want some funk, I'll serve something called Carolina Treet. It's a different flavor, I can't really describe it, but it's kind of mustardy/tangy, but it's not a mustard sauce (they sell one, btw). If you can find it, it goes well on pork and beef and is something very different. I buy it at Food Lion or Harris Teeter in the Mid-Atlantic.

I think you'll find that no one sauce fits all tastes and some of the fun is in experimenting.

qman
01-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Other than Unicorn jizz, my experience tells me that Sweet Baby Ray's is the favorite of most people in my circle of acquaintances. Not mine personally; I prefer a sauce with very little sweet, and a bit of heat. Like the Georgia sauces with lots of mustard.

Displaced Texan
01-26-2015, 08:45 AM
It depends on what I am cooking. I like SBR Honey Chipotle for bbq glazed chicken. I like Stubbs or homemade for beef. I always make my own for pork.

lantern
01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm from the "sauce on the side" school as well. I usually serve my meat dry and let my guests experiment a little. I'll put out a couple of bowls with a label so folks can try what they like. That's part of the fun too.

I'll usually do SBR for pork (most folks like a sweet sauce), some Sonny's Sizzlin Sweet for those who like a little heat, Stubbs Original for beef, and if I want some funk, I'll serve something called Carolina Treet. It's a different flavor, I can't really describe it, but it's kind of mustardy/tangy, but it's not a mustard sauce (they sell one, btw). If you can find it, it goes well on pork and beef and is something very different. I buy it at Food Lion or Harris Teeter in the Mid-Atlantic.

I think you'll find that no one sauce fits all tastes and some of the fun is in experimenting.

If you like treet you should try Scotts. Warning ahead of time it'll punch you right in the teeth if you taste it straight up. But if you use it as a baste or as an accent to a large amount of meat it works well. As a baste it makes chicken halves and quarters taste like what I remember from church cooks in my childhood.
here's the link to their site
http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

Ron_L
01-26-2015, 11:13 AM
As far as mass market sauce (available pretty much everywhere), I think SBR is the best. The Honey Chipotle is probably my favorite variety of SBR.

For local sauces, there is a sauce available in Missouri called Show Me Sauce that is fantastic! Russ and Franks sauce out of Iowa is also very good.

Cajun Ty
01-26-2015, 02:22 PM
I like Jack Daniels original, or i mix 50% Jack Daniels original and 50% Makers Mark Gourmet :thumb::thumb:

dadsr4
01-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Poor Charlie.

chuMP
01-26-2015, 03:00 PM
+ 1 on the Sonny's sauce.

I have recently stopped buying sauce. I make a pretty good sauce that runs a little thin... equal parts honey, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. generous shake of ginger powder, red pepper flakes, and rosemary dust with just a pinch of tomato paste. Heat it up in a saucepan (don't let it get hot enough to simmer), the throw it in a jar and let it sit overnight in the fridge. baste it lightly after the meat is done smokin. MMMMMMMMMmmmm.

THoey1963
01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Stubbs Spicy is what I like. On the side, of course...

RevZiLLa
01-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Sauce is too easy to make to induce me to buy the stuff polluted with liquid smoke, carageenan, guar gum...whatever

landarc
01-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Sweet Baby Ray's, with a little vinegar added

Bone Suckin' Sauce, only on ribs

saseekutz
01-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Blues hog or eat bbq sauce are my go to

smoke ninja
01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
I will never understand why folks spend so much effort crafting artisan bbq and finish it with thick glopy sbr sauce. If its so good why does it need to be doctored up so much? when i look for sauce i read the label. If it has factory ingredients i steer clear. a simple sauce of organic catsup, brown sugar,vinegar, and spices beats out the mostly hfcs artificially flavored stuff ol Ray produces.