PDA

View Full Version : Ribeye in the Sky

Pocchampion
01-21-2015, 09:03 PM
106733Shot my first Sandhill Crane this past weekend and was told to cook it like a steak. Wow. Very close to eating steak in flavor and texture. Hit it with SPG and grilled over charcoal and some oak. Pulled it at 130 and the family love it. I definitely want to cook it again.

Seefyre
01-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Sandhill Crane? Wow, I'm up for eating anything made of meat, I just never considered those critters before. Looks great.

cowgirl
01-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Interesting! That's good to know. They can be a nuisance for me during the summer.. I'll see if it's legal to shoot them here. Thanks!

Pocchampion
01-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Our season runs concurrently with duck season but be warned, their eyesight is unbelievable! Each breast half weighed almost 1 pound. I plan to confit the legs and make tacos or enchiladas.

SDAR
01-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Interesting! That's good to know. They can be a nuisance for me during the summer.. I'll see if it's legal to shoot them here. Thanks!

Depending on where you are at, it's just another stamp. It's specific to cranes. We used to shoot them with rifles off of a bluff in Big Spring from about 250 to 300 yards away and then go fish them off of the playa lake. The Playas dried up a lot so we were lucky to get the chance but it was a lot of fun when we had the chance. In between a pheasant and a goose in my opinion on the meat but never tried it like a steak. Wish I would have now.

HOG FAN
01-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Well I learned something today. Never heard of anyone grilling a crane and it looks good!

Hoss
01-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Just like duck.Hot,fast and rare! Looks yummee!

Hoss
01-21-2015, 10:23 PM

Some places will issue you a depredation permit if the critters/ birds are destroying your liveyhood.Year round harvest for coons,turkey and deer here.Check with your local Game Warden.They will know if it is available.

ModelMaker
01-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Wow never heard of eating cranes. My dad always called them "sh*t a pecks" if you've ever seen them move their bowels you'd understand.
They are on the edge of our lake all summer.
Ed

Spartan Smoker
01-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Id hit that. look delish

qman
01-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Wow never heard of eating cranes. My dad always called them "sh*t a pecks" if you've ever seen them move their bowels you'd understand.
They are on the edge of our lake all summer.
Ed
Yeah, and they come and live around our lake in the winter.
Your dad was right. They are as bad as geese.

cowgirl
01-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Depending on where you are at, it's just another stamp. It's specific to cranes. We used to shoot them with rifles off of a bluff in Big Spring from about 250 to 300 yards away and then go fish them off of the playa lake. The Playas dried up a lot so we were lucky to get the chance but it was a lot of fun when we had the chance. In between a pheasant and a goose in my opinion on the meat but never tried it like a steak. Wish I would have now.

Thank you for the info! I think they might coincide with goose season here.
I like pheasant and goose, sounds like these might be tasty!

Some places will issue you a depredation permit if the critters/ birds are destroying your liveyhood.Year round harvest for coons,turkey and deer here.Check with your local Game Warden.They will know if it is available.

Thank you Hoss! Not sure if my situation would qualify. The cranes eat shrimp out of my pond. The shrimp aren't my livelihood, I just raise them for myself... not to sell.
I'll check into it though, thanks!

Duckboats
01-22-2015, 10:10 PM
We can't hunt them here in Nebraska, but we have the opportunity to hunt them in Wisconsin were we deer hunt. I have heard several good things about them. Can't wait to see them on my plate.

Ribeye Republic
01-23-2015, 07:29 AM
We used to hunt them in peanut fields in Western OK. Really cool to see that big bird float into the decoys. Tasty tasty.

silverfinger
01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
I think it was "Bizarre Foods" that did a show on hunting and cooking cranes. Looked like steak in the sky from that show!

snapper-G
01-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Don't think we have any in PA. I do see herons but they aren't considered a game species and you can't hunt them. The crane looks pretty darn good!

Big Country BBQ
01-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Speckle belly geese are also rib eyes of the sky!

el_matt
01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
I haven't hunted in many years, but my work partner does. I showed him this thread, and he loved the picture. Unfortunately, you can't shoot cranes here in the great state of California. Who knew California was so strict?!?!

Matt