PDA

View Full Version : UDS Rust Question

Calebgh
01-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Brethren,

So I have a quick question regarding UDS. I built a new UDS this spring and painted with High Temp grill paint. It has done okay but I have some areas of exterior rust that have started to show up. I tried wire brushing and repainting with okay results. But some spots have returned. So my question is...Does anybody use any sort of anti rust treatments on the exterior of their UDS?? I was wondering about Naval Jelly or something like that to "kill" the rust and then painting.

I am just trying to prolong the life of my UDS

C

kls44
01-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Ospho works great killing rust. After its dry, lightly sand to smooth the area and paint.

jemezspring
01-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Not sure about the answer to your question but the UDS I built back in May 2009 finally rusted out(bottom) July 2014. This thing had no paint and sat outside unprotected its entire life. Ash and rain water would sit in it for weeks at a time. I''m saying this to say that I think the sides are the least of your worries. Keep that bottom dry. I'm still using mine with a little foil on the bottom to cover the small, for now, holes.

A little off topic but how long are others getting out of their drums and conditions they are being kept at?

SmittyJonz
01-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Mine gets rust on outside too but its not gonna hurt it.

ajstrider
01-20-2015, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about rust on the outside. Like above poster mentioned, the ash in the bottom is corrosive and will rust out the bottom, that is the big worry for longevity of the UDS.

01-20-2015, 06:03 PM
I recommend naval jelly treatment, then paint.

Panthers65
01-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Mine gets a new body every couple years. The drums are cheap, now that everything it purchased (hardware, grates, lid, ect... it's just a matter of drilling a couple holes in the sides and moving the hardware over.

Fwismoker
01-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Yes as stated the bottom gunk is the main concern. I made a ash pan that sits on the bottom and catches most of that corrosive gunk.

Outside I powder coated mine and love it, also wheels are good ...no reason to leave it on the wet ground.

Smokin J's PIts
01-21-2015, 06:36 AM
While its still warm after cooking in it try lightly rubbing oil on the outside on the paint, it will absorb and help protect it.