PDA

View Full Version : Dickie's BBQ

LongTong
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Does this place have good BBQ? I'm always excited when a new joint opens in town.

(Laguna Niguel, CA) Dickey’s Barbecue chairman, Roland Dickey will visit California to celebrate the opening of the brand’s newest location in Laguna Niguel. The new fast casual barbecue option opens on Thursday, January 15 with a three-day grand opening. Mr. Dickey stops by on Friday to hand out free copies of his cookbook, Mr. Dickey’s Barbecue Cookbook.
“We’re thrilled to have Mr. Dickey in Laguna Niguel celebrating our new location and our guests will love meeting the man behind the barbecue,” said multi-unit owner, Stephen Huerth. “We opened our first location in 2013 and we’ve loved working with the Dickey’s brand and getting to know the community.”
Thursday, January 15

The first 50 dine in guests receive gift cards ranging between $5 and $50.

Friday, January 16

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mr. Dickey stops by to hand out 100 autographed cookbooks. During the event, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year. Guests can grab [URL="http://www.dickeys.com/menu"]$2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Dickeys-Barbecue-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/1455616869). Radio station Go Country 105 will also be on-site.

Saturday, January 17

Guests can beef up their barbecue gear when the store offers t-shirts, koozies, sunglasses and more.

The Huerths also own the Dickey’s Barbecue in Brea. The new restaurant in Laguna Niguel is located at 27931 La Paz Road and the phone number is 949.349.0346. Stay up-to-date with this location on Facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/dickeyslagunaniguel)

Just BS
01-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Not bad really, just over price in my opinion. I won't be back anytime soon.

MikeJ65
01-15-2015, 02:49 PM
BBQ is a very tough franchise business because there is a bit too much art to it. That said, the recipes and methods at a Famous Dave's or Dickey's are good enough to serve some pretty decent Q. Whether are not the local owners actually do that is another story.

Bludawg
01-15-2015, 03:08 PM
The Sweet tea use to be good till they poisned it and dam near kilt a woman, the jalapeños and Ice cream aint bad but if it's BBQ you want I'd P/u a Tub of LLoyds & save the trip. Waco Tx is not known for great BBQ except for Tony Demerias the DICK'ys that opened there lasted less than 6 months. I tried it once I had to ask the manager where the pit was he looked at me like I had 3 heads Macdonalds makes better BBQ in the macrib.

rolfejr
01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Tried the new store here in Bel Air, MD.
Not bad, nice portions. Satisfied my craving. Not brethren quality though.

Smokin J's PIts
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Home of the Yellow cup, I have a decent collection of them, only been there once during the day, BBQ was ok but not good, however if that location is offering a breakfast menu like ours here does, both the pulled pork and brisket make really good breakfast burritos, get one at least once a week.

Bamabuzzard
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
The one in our area isn't worth spending your money on. It's overpriced and it is low end bbq compared to what you probably could do at your house. But other than that it's great. :-D

5string
01-15-2015, 04:05 PM
If you consider McDonalds to be an acceptable burger, you'd probably be ok with Dickeys. That said, I have only tried 2 different locations in 1 state. Since relocated back to the left coast, I should try one here to be fair.

MartinM
01-15-2015, 04:38 PM
I've had their BBQ several times... it's just meh...

I'd much rather have Famous Dave's if I'm having franchise BBQ.

Brian in Maine
01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
They had one in the mall here that didn't last 6 months. I went once and the pulled pork was dry, the jalapeno beans were ok, the onion tangles were great, as well as the jalapeno cheese sausage.

Mrtodd777
01-15-2015, 04:43 PM
I live in Garland, about 2 minutes from a Dickey's and have had it no more than twice. DONT order the brisket is all I am saying...

Hankdad1
01-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Here's a review of the Dickie's near us I posted on Yelp a while back.

Tried Dickey's for takeout. When we opened the bag at home we discovered they had not given us our brisket and one of our sides. We called with the thought they might send us a certificate to make things right. Instead they told us to drive back to pick up what they missed. This was during a 6" snowstorm.

The ribs are were overdone with little smoke flavor. The side we did get was potato salad. It tasted like something you would get at a grocery store, but had the consistency of mashed potatoes, terrible.

Never again.

LongTong
01-15-2015, 06:07 PM
OK. I haven't had decent Brisket since my last judged comp. last October so I was long overdue. Today was opening day and stopped by at 1:00PM and all seats were taken and about 10 in line. So, I came back at 2:30 and the place was empty? Not a good sign. So here's what I got for $35.00

A pound of sliced Brisket. I asked for the fatty stuff or the point and the chimp didn't know what I was talking about until some other fella chimed in and said OK. It was dry and overcooked and not a lot of beef flavor. Bark was dark but soft and had a decent smoke ring. About a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. Maybe...

I half rack of pork ribs. Looked to be a St. Louie cut. Tenderness was nice and almost fall off the bone but again, not a lot of flavor...Again, maybe a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. So, the BBQ is just average! - Maybe...

Small mac and cheese. Pretty good nice creamy, cheesy, and buttery flavor.

One big yellow cup of Dr. Pepper.

That's it!

Sausages looked good and will have to try. I did receive two coupons good for two weeks for a 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink. Will try the chicken and sausages with those and maybe another side or two.

Sauces were remarkably good...

Tomorrow, I will go back for the $2 pork sandwiches and the signed cookbook by Mr. Dickey.

After all that, I may not be back as it is just average and overpriced. Come on folks, it's just BBQ...

With that said. I only give this joint a 50/50 chance of surviving...

Mike Twangzer
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Just go to Big Mista's in Long Beach ...

erichasaces
01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Judging by the one close to my mother's house... No, they do not have good bbq. :(

My standards might be high, but the brisket is always so dried out and overcooked. The only thing that I can stomach is the pulled pork.

LongTong
01-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Just go to Big Mista's in Long Beach ...

Of course! Big difference is a 45 minute drive without traffic, obviously well worth it, versus 4.5 minutes, not worth the drive. I did see a nice slab of a CAB Brisket at the local Smart and Final yesterday with a thick and narrow flat with a big fat point for around $60. I might just go back tomorrow morning and hope it's there for this weekend's Brisket done right...

palmtreefrb
01-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I recently ate at the one in Eastville(by Norco). I got the three meat combo, brisket, spares and pulled pork. Brisket was good, ribs were ok but I got three from the small end and pulled pork was good. I enjoyed it. Note: ask for ribs from the middle.

palmtreefrb
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
How south are ya? There is Smoqued in Orange and Blakes Place in Anaheim. Both are very good.
OK. I haven't had decent Brisket since my last judged comp. last October so I was long overdue. Today was opening day and stopped by at 1:00PM and all seats were taken and about 10 in line. So, I came back at 2:30 and the place was empty? Not a good sign. So here's what I got for $35.00

A pound of sliced Brisket. I asked for the fatty stuff or the point and the chimp didn't know what I was talking about until some other fella chimed in and said OK. It was dry and overcooked and not a lot of beef flavor. Bark was dark but soft and had a decent smoke ring. About a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. Maybe...

I half rack of pork ribs. Looked to be a St. Louie cut. Tenderness was nice and almost fall off the bone but again, not a lot of flavor...Again, maybe a 6 or 7 by KCBS standards. So, the BBQ is just average! - Maybe...

Small mac and cheese. Pretty good nice creamy, cheesy, and buttery flavor.

One big yellow cup of Dr. Pepper.

That's it!

Sausages looked good and will have to try. I did receive two coupons good for two weeks for a 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink. Will try the chicken and sausages with those and maybe another side or two.

Sauces were remarkably good...

Tomorrow, I will go back for the $2 pork sandwiches and the signed cookbook by Mr. Dickey.

After all that, I may not be back as it is just average and overpriced. Come on folks, it's just BBQ...

With that said. I only give this joint a 50/50 chance of surviving...

LongTong
01-15-2015, 08:11 PM
How south are ya? There is Smoqued in Orange and Blakes Place in Anaheim. Both are very good.

How far South? A stone throws away from Salt Creek. Bad To The Bone was kinda good in Clemente and SJC but heard the owner passed a year or two ago. R.I.P.

I've wanted to try both of those N. county joints you mentioned and will have to make an effort...

Memphis Que
01-15-2015, 08:24 PM
I have eaten at one Dickey's and would not go back. As others have said, it's not the worst BBQ I've ever had, but it's nothing to write home about.

Famous Dave's is far better if your only options are franchises. In fact, it's better than many non-franchise BBQ joints I've been to.

mikemci
01-15-2015, 08:34 PM
The short answer is no.

titan7
01-15-2015, 08:40 PM
It's okay for a quick bbq fix. Here in so ca there are not many options, would love to live in TX where I could get great Q all the time. Big mista and bloudso are good but also 45 mins away.

mike-cleveland
01-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Now see now I am gonna go just to see as a franchise opened here a year or so ago.

Grain Belt
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM
I have a good friend who was intrigued by BBQ but didn't know how to make it and we don't have a lot of options here on the Tundra. He thought Dicky's was his only call, and it is 55 minutes away. I found him a well used Weber kettle for a few bucks, a Weber chimney, got him some KBB and a little apple wood, and some spares. I wrote up a 2 1/2 -1 - 1 recipe on a note card. He does not go to Dicky's anymore.

TXLX
01-15-2015, 09:40 PM
If it's the same Dickey's as in Dallas/Fort Worth.... No good. The one closest to me went out of business.

cowgirl
01-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Does this place have good BBQ? I'm always excited when a new joint opens in town.

(Laguna Niguel, CA) Dickey’s Barbecue chairman, Roland Dickey will visit California to celebrate the opening of the brand’s newest location in Laguna Niguel. The new fast casual barbecue option opens on Thursday, January 15 with a three-day grand opening. Mr. Dickey stops by on Friday to hand out free copies of his cookbook, [url]Mr. Dickey’s Barbecue Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Dickeys-Barbecue-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/1455616869).
“We’re thrilled to have Mr. Dickey in Laguna Niguel celebrating our new location and our guests will love meeting the man behind the barbecue,” said multi-unit owner, Stephen Huerth. “We opened our first location in 2013 and we’ve loved working with the Dickey’s brand and getting to know the community.”
Thursday, January 15

The first 50 dine in guests receive gift cards ranging between $5 and $50.

Friday, January 16

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mr. Dickey stops by to hand out 100 autographed cookbooks. During the event, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year. Guests can grab $2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches (http://www.dickeys.com/menu). Radio station Go Country 105 will also be on-site.

Saturday, January 17

Guests can beef up their barbecue gear when the store offers t-shirts, koozies, sunglasses and more.

The Huerths also own the Dickey’s Barbecue in Brea. The new restaurant in Laguna Niguel is located at 27931 La Paz Road and the phone number is 949.349.0346. Stay up-to-date with this location on Facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/dickeyslagunaniguel)

I had not heard of Dickeys until someone from the company contacted me about a job opportunity with them...
This was 2 years ago.

I posted this thinking one of the Brethren might be interested in the job. It wasn't received well. :laugh: Not many Dickeys fans here.
I just wondered if Roland Dickey is the spokesman now.

Not sure where to post this.
Was contacted by Lauren Hill at Dickey's BBQ Restaurants in Dallas.
They are looking for someone by the 15th of this month.

Here is more info...

Quote:
I work at Dickey's Barbecue Pit, and we are looking for a Pit Master, also a face of the brand. This person will travel to BBQ competitions and festivals around the country, promoting our brand and working with any media outlets. I didn't know if this was something you would be interested in or could either post on your blog or if you knew other avenues I could contact. I'd really appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks so much!
Lauren

and...

Quote:

Hi Jeanie-

That’s great! You can actually have them contact me. We are looking to have this position filled by 7/15 so a very quick turnaround, so contacting me asap would be best. Make sure they know it will be a full-time position with Dickey’s and will require a lot of traveling.

Thanks for your help!!
Lauren

Lauren Hunt
Marketing Manager
Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants, Inc.
4514 Cole Avenue, Suite 1015
Dallas, Texas 75205
www.dickeys.com (http://www.dickeys.com/)
Office: 972-248-9899

Might be a good opportunity for someone. Just wanted to pass this on to the Brethren... there are some amazing pit masters here!

SuburbSlicker
01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I go occasionally when I need a fix and don't have the time or inclination to do a cook myself. Lunch the other day (before Christmas) was $15 and I got a combo of briskey, sausage and a rib or two. Beans and greens. Big Yellow Cup O' Sweet Tea. Some dry cornbread.

Brisket was actually pretty good, but lacked any smoke. Nice texture. Ribs were actually good. Sausage had been in the warming cabinet far too long. Cornbread was crumbly. Sides weren't remarkable, but weren't bad. As someone else mentioned, sauces are really pretty good. I'd give the whole meal a B-. Nothing exceptional, but it scratched the itch for the time being.

As for those who say Famous Dave's is so much better, mine isn't. You all must be the lucky ones. So far, I'm not overly pleased with any franchise-chain BBQ. There are some owner-owned chains on the other hand which I think are pretty good for what they are. Urban BBQ and Mission BBQ in DC/MD/VA are good and VooDoo in Louisiana/SC and FL are pretty good.

And comparing FD to Dickey's is kind of like comparing On the Border or Chuy's to Chipotle or Qdoba or Moe's. Very different market segments. In any case, I wouldn't depend on them (or Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill, for that matter) for serious specialty segment food.

oldbill
01-16-2015, 10:42 AM
If you go to a well stocked grocery store's meat or deli department you'll find little tubs of pulled pork already cooked and mixed with BBQ sauce, pick one of those up along with a pack of hamburger buns, microwave the pork until it's hot and make some sammiches. That is about the same quality of the Dickie's Q that I've had and it's a LOT less expensive!:wink:

jbounds286
01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
ive been to several dickies....all the same...absolutely terrible

AlwaysSmokey
01-16-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't buy Q anywhere. Ever. If I'm eatin it and I didn't cook it, then one of my buddies did, or a family member. Not a snobby attitude at all, I'm not judging anything, or talkin down to places or people. It's just my passion; And buying bbq somewhere just doesn't "click" for me. What the hell would I do on the weekends?? :grin::confused: Let us know if ya get any good recipes out of the book.

execoll
01-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Macdonalds makes better BBQ in the macrib.
The above sums up my experience with them. Been 3 times to give them a fair shot. 3 strikes and your out, wont go back.

cseymour45
01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
I don't know all of the Q chains out there, but in TX Dickey's is close to the bottom in my opinion. If I just have to stop at any of the chains around here I usually hit up a Rudy's.

LongTong
01-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Gave it another go today on day two of the three day grand opening...:
Go Country Music Radio was on hand from 11:00 to 1:00 along with Mr. and Mrs. Roland Dickey signing and handing out 100 free cook books, a $500 dollar gift cert. and several free BBQ for a year certs...Also $2.00 pulled pork sammiches...

I arrived around 10 minutes before the 11:00 AM opening only to find about 10 in line in front of me. Go Country folks were on hand doing their promo stuff. They opened and I walked in to meet Mr. and Mrs. Dickey signing and handing out the hard cover books. Had a nice and brief conversation with 'em. Nice folks as most from Texas are...

Didn't want to get gipped again so ordered 2 of the $2 max allowed pulled pork sammies and two sides:

The whole Brisket and ribs sure looked nice on the order counter although. I guess it pays to go early. Anyway, took the order to go to share with my wife. The burger bun was nice and fresh with a good light toast to it. A nice handful of pulled pig that was a little dry but OK overall. Topped with a few rings of fresh onion and a couple of slices of pickle. Yes, it was dry but the tasty original sauce made up for it.

The sides were not bad. The green beans, onion and bacon were good. The mashed potato casserole was OK. A little starchy, probably from dry flakes that were over mixed. Bacon bits mixed in and topped with a smidge of shredded cheddar and chopped green onion. Not bad.

Overall, it's OK but every item is too portion controlled and just short of a full deck. I know that portion control is important but make things look full and everything was just short of that. Is it really that hard to top off the sides and add another pickle or two and a little more meat? Two pickle slices when you need three for full coverage is not going to bust the joint - Jeezzz...

Also received two gift certs. expiring in two weeks for a free 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink which costs $2.50 and is the only size available. Will have to try the sausages, ham, and chicken plus the other sides. I'm sure we'll be way over it by then. But, it's nice to know that one can always drop in and get a quick fix when needed.

I wish the franchisee all the luck in the world and hope they survive but, I have my doubts. The anchor tenant is 24 Hour fitness, they moved into the failed Quizno's spot and Ralph's supermarket, the other anchor tenant, moved out only to be replaced with a Persian themed market...

Good luck folks! I wish you all the best...:pray:

jimithing78
01-16-2015, 04:21 PM
If you consider McDonalds to be an acceptable burger, you'd probably be ok with Dickeys.

That's a pretty good assessment. They first started here in Dallas and my company seems to like getting catering from them (because it's cheap) and it's nothing special. I'd rather eat a sammich at home than spend money on Dickey's. It's tasteless corporate BBQ.

jimithing78
01-16-2015, 04:22 PM
I don't know all of the Q chains out there, but in TX Dickey's is close to the bottom in my opinion. If I just have to stop at any of the chains around here I usually hit up a Rudy's.

Agree

accuseal
01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Decent mass bbq. If there is nothing else around, you will get your fix.

NRA4Life
01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
They had one here, lasted less than a year. It'll push a turd, that's about all their Bbq is good for.

MattG
01-16-2015, 07:03 PM
There's one not far for us. After we ate there I had to find a dog to lick his butt to get that awful taste out of my mouth.

OlyQ
01-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Stopped by My Local Dickies today to give it another shot ... Its been over a year since my last visit .

Ordered the Brisket Sanwich and Onion tanglers ....

90% of the sandwich was super salty bark and the rest fatty mush topped on a cold bun.

I ate a few tanglers but they were a soggy greasy mess .

I guess the Big Yellow Cup full of Coke was the highlight .

I may go back to try the sausage but it may be another year from now.

HOG FAN
01-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Yea it's not worth stopping at the one we have here. But some people haven't had the likes of a Coopers or Salt Lick and think Dickey's is good Q...

Vision
01-16-2015, 08:23 PM
I came away from our lunch at DFW airport very impressed. It's real bbq. Most surprised by the pork. The sides were forgettable.

Backyard Smoke
01-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Real .

alexf
01-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Not good.

rick51
01-16-2015, 08:42 PM
I ate at the one in Farmer's Branch, TX more than a few times, always between 12-1 when the place was very busy. The brisket, hot sausage, and beans were very good IMO, also the mac&cheese. I think BBQ places are best about an hour +/- after the lunch rush starts.

Now I'm in Greenville, NC. There's a Dickey's here, and it's a joke. Edible, but. This is down east North Carolina, and there's at least five places here that put Dickey's to shame. To shame! No good brisket here, though, just great pork. - old school whole hog. Got to drive a half hour down to Adams in Goldsboro for brisket - outstanding, and worth the effort.

Backyard Smoke
01-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Wow next time I am in the area I gotta find out for myself .

DriverWild
01-16-2015, 08:48 PM
"Fast casual barbecue" enough said

TXLX
01-16-2015, 08:51 PM
In order of bad in DFW--- Spring Creek, Dickies, and Sonny Bryan's. I finally wandered into Angelo's in Fort Worth, maybe it was an off day, but it was mediocre at best. If I want mediocre in town, I'll go to Smoke Pit, BBQ with a good view. Cousin's is a local chain and it isn't outstanding but it's consistent and it shows they care about what they are doing.

utnosaj
01-16-2015, 10:22 PM
"Fast casual barbecue" enough said

Yep, fast food, but better than burger places.

jbounds286
01-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Cousin's is a local chain and it isn't outstanding but it's consistent and it shows they care about what they are doing.

i love cousins chopped brisket sandwiches...its what i grew up on and i believe they are incredible. love their sauce too

supertramp
01-16-2015, 10:40 PM
I would rather eat a lettuce sandwich no mayo and hold the bread than eat Dickie's again. That is just my personal opinion though.

wtxsmoker
01-17-2015, 10:56 AM
I will go to McDonald before I will Dickey's and I have not stepped foot in McD in a long time.

TXLX
01-17-2015, 05:53 PM
i love cousins chopped brisket sandwiches...its what i grew up on and i believe they are incredible. love their sauce too

Their side bar (onions, fresh pickle, peppers, etc), and sides are the best I've had at a BBQ joint. And their BBQ is consistent, so Cousin's is always a solid proposition.

Only knock is most of the locations don't have the old time BBQ joint feel, too well lit and too clean. For a smokey, beer serving BBQ joint, I hit the Railhead.

Pitbull
01-17-2015, 06:22 PM
It's decent BBQ and fairly consistent in quality, at least here in Texas. I wouldn't call it great, but that happens when a good BBQ joint becomes a chain. It is better than most chain outfits though..

gmag
01-18-2015, 06:43 AM
Overpriced but their jalapeno cheddar sausage is tremendous.

jbounds286
01-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Their side bar (onions, fresh pickle, peppers, etc), and sides are the best I've had at a BBQ joint. And their BBQ is consistent, so Cousin's is always a solid proposition.

Only knock is most of the locations don't have the old time BBQ joint feel, too well lit and too clean. For a smokey, beer serving BBQ joint, I hit the Railhead.

ahhh yes the side bar is amazing...the onions are always super crisp. ive only been to bryant irvin and mccart locations(mccart is the original and i think bryant irvin might be the 2nd location). lol i will say ive never heard anyone complain about the cleanliness of a restaurant before..thats pretty odd....but those 2 locations seem ok to me. but yea railhead is pretty good although last time i went there the chopped brisket had quite a few pieces of rock hard bark that was unchewable in it lol. other than that both places are really good.

TXLX
01-18-2015, 12:59 PM
ahhh yes the side bar is amazing...the onions are always super crisp. ive only been to bryant irvin and mccart locations(mccart is the original and i think bryant irvin might be the 2nd location). lol i will say ive never heard anyone complain about the cleanliness of a restaurant before..thats pretty odd....but those 2 locations seem ok to me. but yea railhead is pretty good although last time i went there the chopped brisket had quite a few pieces of rock hard bark that was unchewable in it lol. other than that both places are really good.

No knock on cleanliness at all, it just doesn't have the hole in the wall look. Shows they care about what they are doing and not just riding on a name for years like some places I've been to.

Railhead brisket is hit or miss somedays, but still perfectly edible with a little sauce. Pork ribs seem to be their forte. And I love smelling like hickory the rest of the day after lunch!

darkoozy
01-18-2015, 10:19 PM
ya, fast food bbq

You been to dickies alot with friends who dont know good bbq, just to be social...Cant stand the place...pulled pork sandwich just to make it edible. The sides bar is nice though...

Untraceable
01-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Had Dickies catered once. Being truly optimistic and giving them the benefit of the doubt, every thing was dog food at best except the chopped brisket which was surprisingly ok.

A franchise is only as good as the person operating it.

Mattbastard
01-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Lemme give a Wisconsin impression of Dickey's:

I live in Sheboygan, which like most of Wisconsin is full of fast food options with the occasional decent restaurant. Having a BBQ restaurant in this town is a real breath of fresh air. I personally love having them as an option in my town. Most of the time I don't go out for fast food. If I hit a restaurant, it's usually a sit down place that's locally owned. Sometimes I need a BBQ fix that's spur of the moment. If I haven't got the time to put a set of spares or a shoulder on the Primo, Dickey's definitely satisfies the fix.

Having said that, my Q is MUCH better than Dickey's can put together. Their pulled pork is usually overdone, brisket and ribs are dry, but their honey ham makes a pretty good sandwich. I haven't had any of the other meats. IMO, all their sides are great!

Personally I would hate to see them go under in my area. I like the option. I go maybe once a month, but when I do business is pretty light unfortunately. I'm annoyed by this because this damn state is so stuck in its ways when it comes to eating. If it's not deep fried, it's not gonna make it.

jbounds286
01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
i would love to see every dickeys in the country close. i would smile

Slideguy01
01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
I would take Rudy's any day over Dickeys :thumb:

Joe Black
01-19-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm with Bludawg. They cook on electric units which ain't bad, but it helps to know how. I had pulled pork and ribs. No flavor at all. Sides were not special at all. I have been a total of twice, but not again.

deepsouth
01-19-2015, 05:35 PM
They use a real smoker at the one here, and the food is passable.

Pitbull
01-19-2015, 07:18 PM
I've already posted my opinion on Dickeys, but I heard once that the meat the chains get is already smoked and the stores only warm it back up??? But, I will say I swear I saw them loading fresh briskets into the smoker once. Not certain though.. Except for that one time, I don't think I've ve seen them loading meat in the smoker..:rolleyes:

Deltaboy
01-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Sausage is good at ours but the rest is not up to the family owned Buffalo Creek BBQ here in Cleburne TEXAS!

SteveKing
01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
How has this thread gotten 5 pages deep?

pjtexas1
01-20-2015, 02:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't even read this thread until today. I thought maybe the thread got hijacked and I was missing something. 5 pages deep...it must be good? I was wrong.:tsk:

deepsouth
01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

only two pages for me.

darkoozy
01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
i was thinking the same thing. I didn't even read this thread until today. I thought maybe the thread got hijacked and i was missing something. 5 pages deep...it must be good? I was wrong.:tsk:

BB-Kuhn
01-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Mediocre food (not bad, mind you but nothing to crave over), puny portions for the price and weak sides. Nope.

If it were like 25% cheaper or the portions were 25% more, i'd recommend it but as-is it's not worth the trouble.

smokerpa
01-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Overpriced, overrated and not worth it. The one buy me is known for the sauces that they offer rather than the food. I tried it once and thought the brisket was overcooked and dry. Not just a little, but a lot.

I don't want to be known for my sauce, I want to be known for my Q.

Mrtodd777
01-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Another Rudy's fan here. They will always custom cut the EXACT brisket you prefer. I ask for "Extra Moist, end cut" and always get awesome point with a s**t ton of bark.. Delicious..

stl-rich
01-20-2015, 07:03 PM
I like Dickies - they opened one near me. I never went there, heard it was lousy. They closed and a cook opened Sugarfire BBQ in that space. IMHO Sugarfire is the best BBQ in STL. Thanks for breaking the ice in my neighborhood :wink:

diveyouth
01-20-2015, 09:11 PM
I have eaten at the local Greenville, NC location a couple of times and it's been good (a little pricey). To be perfectly honest, it's the first and only times I have had brisket (this is straight up pork country) so I really don't have anything to compare it to,

frognot
01-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Friends don't let friends eat at Dickey's.

LongTong
01-21-2015, 11:22 AM

I suppose everyone has an opinion and it's been an interesting mix but mostly leaning towards avoid it if you can...

SteveKing
01-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Way to go you pushed it to 6 pages!

smoke ninja
01-21-2015, 11:58 AM
We got a Dickies locally. I've haven't even considered it. Sounds like fast food bbq chain. McDonald's is the most popular restaurant by numbers but who thinks they're the best?

LongTong
01-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Way to go you pushed it to 6 pages!

Like arses everyone has an opinion...

r. young
01-21-2015, 03:47 PM
tried it one time that was enough for me will not go back

DownRiver
01-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Dickey's made some of the best BBQ in Texas. Of course, that was in Dallas back in the 80's, before they franchised. You could smell the smokers for blocks. Ate lunch there many a time. Had to get there early because they'd run out of everything, usually before noon. Those were the days. Franchising was the death of a great Q. Don't know if the old place is even still open - doubt it.

cyberb0b
01-21-2015, 04:59 PM
It's fast food BBQ at sit down restaurant prices. Here in Texas, the only acceptable fast food BBQ is Rudy's. Places like Dickie's, Colter's, and Spring Creek are mediocre on a good day.

I live in Garland, about 2 minutes from a Dickey's and have had it no more than twice. DONT order the brisket is all I am saying...

We're spoiled, we have Meshack's.

titan7
01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Okay, I went again last night got a pound of brisket. Omg was so terrible I threw half of it out. There was nobody in there, not seeing how they are going to make it. First week the opened last year it was okay, this was the 3rd time back and will be my last. The owner was not working, just a couple young peoples who seemed clueless.

deepsouth
01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
i'm still only showing 2 pages.

Breevescooker
01-22-2015, 07:27 PM
here in southern Utah there is several and they seem to do well, but if you ask me I feel that they are a little over priced and for the portions they are smaller. I may be impartial towards locals though because i would rather support the local BBQ guys rather than franchises. As for the food its not to bad but again the price for the portion seems to be off.

LongTong
01-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Went back there yesterday around 2:00 PM to exercise my free 1/4 plate coupon with purchase of a drink...I ordered a pound of sliced Brisket and asked for the fatty end. The guy pulled out a whole plastic rapped Brisket and trimmed some fat and then made my slices. It looked great. Nice, moist and juicy. I also ordered a half rack of pork ribs. I told the guy I got a skimpy order last time so he pulled out a whole rack and sliced up some meaty end of the rack of ribs and even threw in an extra rib. So I brought it home for the family and I to enjoy. I must say that it was way better than the previous time. The Brisket was a little overdone but was tasty anyway. The ribs had a nice smoke flavor to them and were nice and meaty. I can't say it was awesome but it was not bad either...

Bamabuzzard
01-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Went back there yesterday around 2:00 PM to exercise my free 1/4 plate coupon with purchase of a drink...I ordered a pound of sliced Brisket and asked for the fatty end. The guy pulled out a whole plastic rapped Brisket and trimmed some fat and then made my slices. It looked great. Nice, moist and juicy. I also ordered a half rack of pork ribs. I told the guy I got a skimpy order last time so he pulled out a whole rack and sliced up some meaty end of the rack of ribs and even threw in an extra rib. So I brought it home for the family and I to enjoy. I must say that it was way better than the previous time. The Brisket was a little overdone but was tasty anyway. The ribs had a nice smoke flavor to them and were nice and meaty. I can't say it was awesome but it was not bad either...

Good deal. The main thing is you enjoyed it. :clap2:

sgm2004
01-24-2015, 04:57 PM

Sounds like you would like Craigs BBQ in DeValls Bluff AR. Good BBQ but looks like that old time BBQ Joint hole in the wall. I frist ate there in 1972 ate there last year and they still have same tables & chairs & wallpaper they had in 72. Good Que though.

Pitbull
01-24-2015, 05:47 PM
I suggest you go ahead and try it yourself at least once rather than not going at all based on other folks opinions, mine included. If you don't youre doing yourself a disservice.

Blackwatch
01-24-2015, 06:24 PM
We keep 'thinking' about going to the one that opened close to us, but then we never do and I just go home and thaw out whatever we put away from the last run. I still prefer my frozen BBQ to a suspect chain: I may not be being fair, but there is this to consider. It doesn't really speak to their BBQ but …

Back in August, a woman in Salt Lake City thought she was getting Sweet Tea but ended up with a mouthful of toxic chemicals. I would have posted a link but couldn't remember if there were rules about it. It's an easy (insert favorite search engine name here) search away though.

Pitbull
01-24-2015, 06:54 PM
We keep 'thinking' about going to the one that opened close to us, but then we never do and I just go home and thaw out whatever we put away from the last run. I still prefer my frozen BBQ to a suspect chain: I may not be being fair, but there is this to consider. It doesn't really speak to their BBQ but …

Back in August, a woman in Salt Lake City thought she was getting Sweet Tea but ended up with a mouthful of toxic chemicals. I would have posted a link but couldn't remember if there were rules about it. It's an easy (insert favorite search engine name here) search away though.

I've eaten at Dickies a bunch, mainly because it was just up the road from work. Like I said, it isn't to die for, but not too bad for a chain. I'm speaking for Texas though. I have no idea about out of state.

I seem to remember that sweet tea thing. Was that at a Dickies? Im remembering it as elsewhere..

Whoo Whoo, made 7 pages?. :clap2:

SuburbSlicker
01-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Definitely Dickies in Utah.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dickies+bbq+utah+woman&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=dickies+bbq+utah+woman&tbm=nws

Looks like an honest mistake that could happen in any restaurant. But it still could've gotten much worse.

I remember eating at a chain called Black-Eyed Pea years ago (they're all gone from our area now) and the young woman serving us told us there'd be no more refills on sweet tea, "Because somebody mistook salt for sugar and it tastes pretty gross now."

Pitbull
01-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I do remember that. Unfortunately something like that can happen anywhere, even at home. About 6 years ago I got a big swig of cleaner from the ice/water machine at work. Got a cup full early in the morning not knowing housekeeping had cleaned the machine the night before and forgot to flush the machine.:twitch:

Edit: I think in this case Dickies messed up regardless of what the news report says. I worked in a BBQ joint when I was a teenager and we used lye to clean the pit grates every few months. We'd put them in a lye solution in big tubs out back. The lye itself came in 5 gallon plastic buckets and was kept in a locked closet with the janitor supplies, far away from any food relate items. To the best of my knowledge lye does not come in sacks because of moisture related issues. The report said someone accidentally put lye in a sugar sack and then someone else put it in the tea thinking it was sugar. What would make a person inclined to put lye in a sack labeled sugar and what was it doing anywhere near food?

LongTong
01-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I do remember that. Unfortunately something like that can happen anywhere, even at home. About 6 years ago I got a big swig of cleaner from the ice/water machine at work. Got a cup full early in the morning not knowing housekeeping had cleaned the machine the night before and forgot to flush the machine.:twitch:

Edit: I think in this case Dickies messed up regardless of what the news report says. I worked in a BBQ joint when I was a teenager and we used lye to clean the pit grates every few months. We'd put them in a lye solution in big tubs out back. The lye itself came in 5 gallon plastic buckets and was kept in a locked closet with the janitor supplies, far away from any food relate items. To the best of my knowledge lye does not come in sacks because of moisture related issues. The report said someone accidentally put lye in a sugar sack and then someone else put it in the tea thinking it was sugar. What would make a person inclined to put lye in a sack labeled sugar and what was it doing anywhere near food?

Sure sounds like mistakes were made on number of levels for Lye to be actually ingested. The first must have been at the hiring stage...

Blue Smoke BBQ
01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
:evil:dickies is for folks who have never had good bbq!

Pitbull
01-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Anywhere but Texas is for folks who have never had good BBQ..:bounce::butt:

Just kidding of course! :thumb::pound:

Mattbastard
01-27-2015, 11:55 AM

And that's kinda the point for some of the locations around the country. Here in Wisconsin, there isn't a BBQ joint around every corner like there is in the south. Sheboygan, a town of 50K people, just has the Dickey's. Google maps search for BBQ in Milwaukee, many more people, has 4 (three small, one franchise). The same search over Little Rock, AR quickly showed 15, but there were a bunch of little dots not pinned with links so I stopped counting.

My point here is that in an environment where BBQ is a rarity, Dickey's ain't the best, but it sure cuts the mustard. It's like they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Besides, at least BBQ is getting exposure the more Dickey's spreads. Before I started routinely traveling to the South I had no idea what pulled pork was. Now I own two kamado smokers, 5 different flavors of sauce in the pantry, and am never without some type of meet in my freezer to cook up whenever the desire hits me.

LongTong
01-27-2015, 02:48 PM
And that's kinda the point for some of the locations around the country. Here in Wisconsin, there isn't a BBQ joint around every corner like there is in the south. Sheboygan, a town of 50K people, just has the Dickey's. Google maps search for BBQ in Milwaukee, many more people, has 4 (three small, one franchise). The same search over Little Rock, AR quickly showed 15, but there were a bunch of little dots not pinned with links so I stopped counting.

My point here is that in an environment where BBQ is a rarity, Dickey's ain't the best, but it sure cuts the mustard. It's like they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Besides, at least BBQ is getting exposure the more Dickey's spreads. Before I started routinely traveling to the South I had no idea what pulled pork was. Now I own two kamado smokers, 5 different flavors of sauce in the pantry, and am never without some type of meet in my freezer to cook up whenever the desire hits me.

A have a vision of you opening the best BBQ joint in Sheboygan...:grin:

Sweet T
01-28-2015, 09:54 AM
The store I ate at was not too bad. Each store is individually owned and it's up to the owner to "care" and produce quality food. they had a huge Ole Hickory pit and I frankly thought the ribs and brisket were acceptable. Famous Daves is definately a sweeter flavor.