PDA

View Full Version : Smoke On KC!

BBQchef33
09-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Well Brethren.. i am back from KC's funeral... it was a hard time, and i will post later when i have some energy.. we met KC's family, shared some tears and some laughs, but one thing that was most apparent was the love that KC had for us, and the Brethren, and the art of BBQ. We saw sections of Kc's life, from birth to death, and much of it was around his music, his craft and his love of what we do. We were a very large part of his funeral, our eulogies from the memorial pages were read, the song from that page was played during the service, and our stories were shared with his family. KC was sent off wearing his brethren hat, his Brethren tee shirt layed beside him under a log of cherry wood. He truly was one of our most cherished members. It took me a long time to gather the composure to meet Jeanne and Zach, which was quickly lost when i got up there. I went up with JT at my side, but I reminded myself that we were there for all of us.. and especially the locals and teams who were out competing and could not attend.. That is where KC would have insisted they go.. Jeanne knew immediately who we were.. and Zach is a young gentlemen, yet i expected the vision I had from years ago, Zach as a child holding the fish on the dock when he and KC went fishing.. but he is not a child.. he is a young man. i went to the car and returned with my Brethren Hat and a Tee shirt for him.. as Jorge phrased it, it was passing the torch, Zach is now an honorable brethren. He is really a great kid, apparent even in the brief conversations we had.. i see now why KC adored the kid.. I hope it will check in here. We left the funeral to go meet up with the teams..

Sidebar: On the way back i get stopped by the sheriff.. doing 68 in a 45.. farkin wide open country road, i just get off the highway where there is a 70mph speed limit, make the turn and hit resume on the cruise control, as it pumps back up to 70, i get clocked by Barney Fife. Now, the NY'er, in the bright red jeep getting pulled over by Dudley DoRight in BFE and getting away with a warning.. is either pure luck, or higher power.. but i got away with a warning.. better than a 200 ticket... The trooper could have nailed me.. but he let me off.. Thank you Mr.officer.

The rest of the weekend.. i choose to think of it as..........

KC is hosting a bash.. he brought so many of us together in so many ways that would have never been done, and he has opened my eyes to many things. All our thoughts centered around our new guardian angel.... who I am sure was watching over us this weekend. In what was such a weekend of sorrow and mourning, so much good and laughter came out of it, KC would be proud. Myself, reg, Jorge, we flew in fro 3 states, to meet with all the MoFos, BigDog and JT drove many hours to get there too. We did it the way he wants us to do it..together... it was in his memory and in his honor. Flags flew at half mast, teams had their armbands on, we requested a moment of silence during the competition. The bellybros did a brief eulogy at the bandstand as Jay held a chimney of flaming cherry to the heavens. The crowd fell silent as the cherry wood flamed and the band went into lynards skynards "simple man"... it was at that point, that it hit me the hardest.. I looked around at all the dozens of Brethren there, pictured him among us and said, time to move on.. we formed a circle, had a few short words.. and Greg summed it up as we broke..

Love ya KC.. SMOKE ON!!!!

Shortly after, we all removed our armbands..
Every chapter closes before a new one starts.. and this starts a new chapter in our group.. The spirit of the Brethren will live on, better, and KC will always be part of it. I will continue to add to the memorial page for a day or two at which time it, and this forum will be moved to our archives accessible only by a single post.

We do it the way KC would want, hes OK, now his job is to watch over our smoke.....

as long as we cook with cherry. :wink:

Smoke On Brethren!!!

Here is the Moment of silence (http://video.google.com/videouploadfinished?docid=-286177533086226264&filename=wsb64__UDkwODA5NDk.MOV).. Sorry for the poor quality, and i missed the very beginning because of my fat fingers. :oops: I am going to post the pictures of the event in a separate thread, and the rundown of 'the bash'..... and competition.. and i have some somber stuff form the funeral that i will post her in this thread.. but right now, i need some sleep..

beerguy
09-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Phil and the rest of the entourage, thank you so much for being there for the rest of us. Your summation of the funeral and trip stands alone. Nothing needs to be added when you "have the energy". Scott will never be forgotten, but forever missed.

Beerguy

bbqbull
09-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, what beerguy said.
Thanks again brothers.

MilitantSquatter
09-09-2006, 07:47 PM
That was a very fitting tribute.... the words, the chimney starter flames, the moment of silence and song....

Smoke on Brother KC !!!!

bbqjoe
09-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I wish I could have been there to share the support this fine group of individuals has to offer. You will not find a group with a larger passion for their common interest as well as the care, concern and support for all those involved.

The Brethren is a true and pristine example of brotherhood!!!!!

HoDeDo
09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
thanks for the showing gents. It sounds like you were able to help start the healing process for many there.... And maybe we'll see Zach @ the Cattle Call.....

Smoke on brothers!

jpw23
09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
man....I hate to say this but, that brought a tear to my eye and the ol broke down and cried when she saw the video. Rock on Kc....you will always be remembered in the house of Williams.

jpw23
09-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I wish I could have been there to share the support this fine group of individuals has to offer. You will not find a group with a larger passion for their common interest as well as the care, concern and support for all those involved.

The Brethren is a true and pristine example of brotherhood!!!!!

Good post Joe!!

BrooklynQ
09-09-2006, 09:59 PM
I didn't know KC - but that brought some tears to this NY'rs eyes. I'm gonna head out and light a fire now.

Ron_L
09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the summary, Phil. I wish I could have been there.

gman
09-10-2006, 01:23 AM
I didn't know KC personally but got teary-eyed when I read about his passing. He was special to many in different ways. Way too young with so much of the journey in front of him.

Smoke on brother....

Bigdog
09-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Going to Scott's funeral was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. The only thing that made it bearable was that I was there with four other of my brothers, Phil, Greg, Jorge and jt. We were not there for our selves, rather there to represent all of us. The spirt of the Brethren was strong that day, evidenced by the feeling in that room, the "no ticket" on the way back, and the great showing by all the teams cooking this weekend. This was a great weekend for the Brethren.

Right after the service, we went to the local bar and toasted one for our fallen brother. This was why Phil was so nervous when he got pulled over. He was no drunk by any means and not in danger of being arresed, but Barney Fife noticed it and commented to Phil that "he seemed nervous." Phil's reply later was that the cop was standing there "with a glock." That would make anyone nervous.

Meeting all the brothers and partying at the comps was a blast. I got to meet many new brothers and renew old friendships with those that I had met previously. I told several people that this is the only good thing about a funeral.

It was also nice to pay my respects to Jeanne and Zach. Hopefully Zach will continue his grandpa's love of cooking and join the Brethren some day. We are all out of hats, only 50 were made, but Phil gave him his along with a t-shirt. You are now a Brethern Zach.

At the funeral, Jeanne's sister had made up a collage of pictures that Scott had taken at the last midwest bash. It was awesome. She had the pictures of Greg's gnomes with turtles surrounding the perimeter. She understands.

So all of you that wanted to go to the funeral but couldn't, don't fret. You were well represented. We were there for all of you.

Dog out.

Bigdog
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
For the benefit of those that don't know him, the brother on stage that gave the speech about Scott while Spicebag held the torch was Bellybro, a.k.a. John. Great job brother.

The LS "Simple Kinda Man" song that followed was awesome. The guy that sang and played it just nailed it. Scott would have loved it. He was a simple kind of man, but very caring and knowledgeable. His complexity was in his understanding and appreciation of simple things.

parrothead
09-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Quite the experience this weekend. One that most people in this world won't ever get a chance to experience as far as I am concerned. The coming together of a brotherhood to mourn, and clebrate the life of, a fallen brother. Then the trip all over to spend time with more brothers. I know for a fact that the whole hurried weekend has hepled me as well as others to push through and get on with our lives as KC would have wanted.

My flag has been at half mast and will go back up today. On Friday for the bash the flag will come back down to half mast as the brethren roll into town. On Saturday at some time, we will plant a cherry tree in my yard followed by raising the flag back to full mast at which time I will swap out the flag with the larger one that I just got for my flag pole. I will then try to get a flag pole for competitions that the smaller 3 x 5 will fly on.

It was wonderful to meet all of the brothers these past few days and share this time with all of them. I'll see some of you this weekend as you make the trek toward my house, and I'll probably see the rest of you next year as the fall midwest bash gets moved further south.

Good food, good drinks, and good fellowship that was shared this weekend is what the Bbq-brethren is all about.

backyardchef
09-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I didn't know him well, but may there be blessings on KC and his family. Last night, I sat in the dark listening to the crickets, cars and sirens passing in the dark, seasoning the new cooker and I threw on some cherry and thought of KC and the brethren and let the smoke and heat pour from the firebox into my face. I'm wearing that shirt again today.

Sweet blue to you, KC.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2006, 10:54 AM
All around, it has been a special weekend, commencing with Thursday evening. Scott would have highly approved. I'm sure he knows.

JohnMcD348
09-10-2006, 11:44 AM
All I can say after watching that is

Job Well Done.

Solidkick
09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
All I can say after watching that is

Job Well Done.

John, you don't know how good that makes me feel....we sent brother Scott out in style...only how those that loved as a Brethren could....and we did it for those that couldn't be with us in person....my Bass Pro family was moved beyond words....and even though they never knew Scott and know very little of our Brethren family, THEY KNEW that they had just experienced something very special in their lives....

sfisch
09-10-2006, 04:37 PM
You guys did good, thanks from us who couldn't be there.

Scott

Kevin
09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh yes, a big thank you. You guys realy are a class act.

bbqbull
09-10-2006, 05:03 PM
You guys are pure class. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

StLouQue
09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
A standing "O," fellas.

Reading, hearing and viewing the tributes everyone has offered since Scott's passing makes me wish I'd known him. An individual capable of inspiring an outpouring of love as witnessed here is truly a treasure.

I bow in your general direction, e.

To Scott's family and friends, my deepest sympathies.

Steve

Bigdog
09-11-2006, 06:12 AM
On Sunday I cooked a load of burgers on the kettle for the family and friends. I usually use charcoal and mesquite chips, but this time to honor Bro. Scott, I used cherry. Came out awesome. Sweeter flavor and much more subtle. Everyone loved them. Thanks kc. Love ya bro.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for sharing, along with many others, wish I could have been there.

Qczar
09-11-2006, 06:32 AM
The way you guys pulled that all together, could`nt have been done better.

Good job. I`m sure KC felt it.

nmayeux
09-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I put on "Simple Kind of Man" on my way home last night. Put a tear in my eye. Nice job guys, wish I was there.

Arlin_MacRae
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Phil, your post was the most touching thing I've experienced since I've been one of the Brethren. Thank you for representing us - and for saying a collective goodbye to our lost brother.

Arlin

Neil
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Thank you brothers.

Bellybro
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
It was a privelage for me to be able to do the moment of silence and short tribute.

We asked the band if they new the song on the memorial page and they did not and he said hey what about Simple Man by Lynard I said I think that would be perfect actually.

Smoke on Scott!!!!

Jorge
09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I think I finally resemble a human today, after getting a full night of sleep.

Thursday afternoon I left San Antonio where I had to take my Mom to one of her Docs. Unlike Phil I would not have gotten a warning ticket, since it took about 3 hrs. to drive 280 miles to make my 8:30 flight. I think KC was giving me some help since I seemed to slow down or change lanes at just the right times:biggrin:

I make it to Kansas City, and I'm somewhat screwed. I go to pick up the rental and all they have left are.....mini vans:oops: :lol: No offense to anyone that drives one....I just knew what I'd be in for. I take the scenic route down to Olathe, because it was virtually impossible to get lost going that way. I made it all the way to the motel, and took a turn where I thought there should be an entrance to the parking lot....it was an access road back onto I-35:eek: I finally pull into the parking lot and right up by the lobby are a bunch of farkers sucking down Corona. I have got to be in the right place! Meeting Doorbuster and Bigdog for the first time made the abuse worthwhile. After one beer and being called a soccer mom a couple dozen times I called it a day.

The service for KC was great. I knew how important this group was to him, but seeing how important others knew it was to him was amazing. There were a few tough moments. It was good to get to know KC a little bit better. During the visitation we looked at a photo album of is work with cabinets. Absolute perfection and attention to detail, as expected!

For you LawnGuyLanders...when you are in the midwest, and a car with flashing lights is behind you, you are supposed to pull over on the side of the road and stop. If the officer pulls over and stops behind you, then you should roll your window down and turn off the engine:wink: :lol: You should not keep asking the passengers in your vehicle if you are being pulled over:razz:

The ultimate roadtrip. We stop at Costco because Phil, being Phil WILL DO A PRIME RIB in Columbia. First stop is to visit Jeff and Wayne in Blue Springs. It was a pleasure to meet them as well. I have no doubt those guys have a good time cooking next to each other. Jeff had some Shiner in the cooler and saved my life with his hospitality. I owe you Jeff! Doorbusters was there and I have now come to this conclusion. The next time I'm around him I need a double shot of espresso to keep up:lol: The man has a motor that runs at very high RPMs:grin: Wayne had THE margarita machine that started the craze here, and I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting a picture of him with it. We strolled over to say hello to Rod Gray (kcpellethead) and he was as nice and friendly as always. It was great to see all of them, and I wish we'd had a little more time to spend.

On the road to Columbia.... Ever seen a grown man go crazy in a Stuckey's?:lol: Nuff said.

I don't know what to say about my experience in Columbia. We pulled in and there was a parking space right there between a couple of the Belly Bros. JT had just pulled in after leaving the service and heading home to do what he needed to do. It seemed to me like we were always running late, but we must have had some help with that timing. Belly Bros, and Team Q! I can't thank them enough for the hospitality and generosity. I'd never met one of them before, and it was better than a family reunion even under the circumstances. What can I say about the Belly Bros? They fed a small army for dinner and then turned around and did a comp and walked. Before leaving I asked Kick if there would be some of Sweet T's famous hash brown casserole and he promised that there would be. I'm holding both of them responsible for the coming weight gain now that they told me the recipe is on the site and I got some pointers from the master herself. The food was first class and the fellowship was better.

Team Q! A great bunch of guys. Just as the Belly Bros rolled out the welcome mat Team Q went out of their way to make everyone comfortable! I can't tell you how many times I heard Jay say "Whatever you need!". Fredbird prepped a kettle for Phil's prime rib, AND handled the half of Jay's cooker that he had turned over to Phil! Steve was the same way, making sure everyone had everything they needed or wanted and a pleasure to meet. Keep in mind this is at a comp, and Team Q nabbed GC:eek: Bags is a piece of work. It took me an hour or so to figure the guy out:grin: I don't think you could get a rise out of him with a cattle prod:grin: When he talks, it's worth listening to.

I submitted my post before adding something very important. Before the moment of silence in Columbia there was some conversation about what should be said. It was tough to come up with the right words. John stepped up to the plate, ended the struggle to come up with those words. Afterwards I told him that nobody could have done a better job. Looking back at it today he was the perfect person for the job. KC did his first competition with the Belly Bros, and it was home for them. Jay....the man stood there with a burning chimney of Cherry wood, and the symbolism closed the deal. I can't thank you both for the special memory that you gave all of us.

As much as KC loved to cook, it was people that he cared about the most. I made the trip to pay my respects to a good friend. I came home having spent time with new friends. I think he would approve.

jt
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I think most everything has been covered by others but just a few notes:

I pulled into Drexel on Friday morning and knew I had the right place when I saw Parrothead and Jorge standing outside. Phil was down at the hardware store looking for turtles and Bigdog was finding the bathroom. Having been to a bash with Dog I wasn't looking forward to going second but I digress... :twisted:

Yes, we all leaned on each other at the service to get through it but when they played Green Day there were 5 very large sighs from our row. I think we all studied the floor for the length of the song...

The poor man doing the service was either A) not a public speaker; B) very nervous; or C) both. I know KC would have laughed with us at the pronunciation of a few words and lines such as a "fat-ay" (somehow I don't think the French know about fatties - aren't they vegans?), "the bash at parrothouse's head" and the ultimate - "caboowaboo".

Afterward we saluted KC at the local watering hole with a pitcher of something brewed in St Louis with a Eagle on its label and then headed out.

Greg said Phil was in culture shock on the way to Drexel so I didn't mention to him I was stopping on the way home at the Steam Engine Show to switch vehicles with my wife. She had taken our boy to see Granddad run his steam-powered thresher and drive the mule team around during the parade. I think the idea of tractors powered by wood and water would've sent him over the edge. :-P

I parked the truck at the Bass Pro contest and got out just in time to get called a farker by the guys as they arrived. As said above, the Bellys and Team Q were awesome hosts and gave us everything we wanted to eat and drink. The memorial was very moving - John's words and Jay holding the chimney of flaming cherry really brought home the meaning of the Brethren. We're all brothers, no matter where we are, and each of us can always count on someone being available to listen, lean on, or joke with. We had a bash for KC and he was there with us the entire time.

I posted my pictures in with Phil's in the KC Bash gallery. They're a little out of order but I'm sure you'll get over it. :-D

frognot
09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
My brothers, sounds like y'all all did Scott proud.

Hiloboy
09-13-2006, 02:04 AM
after reading all the posts. the only thing i can say is i'm so proud that i'm part of a group like this..this group is what they say they are BROTHERS.. that shows alot of class. and not just talk it. but really does the walk..
Aloha KC

bcis93
09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Scott "e" sounds like a guy I would have liked to hang out with. I am sorry I won't get that chance.

Wayne
09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks to all the brothers that made it to KC for KC and family. I already had a wedding booked for that day and was not able to get away. The groom sobbed all the way through the vows, and the bride was as controlled as you can get. However, several times I paused and said a little prayer for KC and family.

Bill-Chicago
01-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Let me start this post by saying my true colors are Black and Silver.

I have been part of the Raider Nation since the 70's

Anyone who knows anything about AFC football knows that Raiders and Chiefs just don't mix. They're like oil and water.

Scott and I loved to talk football, for we had a natural rivalry.

We talked of going to a game or two, especially after he learned I flew into KC one Christmas Eve to watch the Raiders/Chiefs game on the TV in the bar of the KC airport terminal, then turned around and flew home all in the same day, because it was going to be blacked out here in Chicago.

So I guess my point is, as a Raider, the Chiefs are my ultimate enemy.

That was up until September.

When e passed away, I found myself drawn to the TV whenever the Chiefs were on.

I watched each and every game that was televised.

I was rooting for them, right up until the end when they lost a wild card playoff to the Colts this past Saturday. Now I was glad the Colts won (for a different reason that involves my daughter) but was saddened by the Chiefs being knocked out.

I was holding on to e through the Chiefs, but now it is just one more leaf in e's tree of life I need to let go.

Miss you e

hcarter
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't know him at all, but I believe he's the kind of man I aspire to be.