PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning for steaks?

tbag
01-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Got some good seasonings/wet rub/herbs/paste+++ for steaks?
Have tried a few dry rubs and the normal salt and pepper and it's good but I would like to try something else that's really good.

Any recipes you want to share?

Ron_L
01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Montreal steak seasoning
Plowboy Bovine Bold
Tatonka Dust from owens BBQ
and salt, pepper, onion powder and granulated garlic.

jmck999
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Base of garlic powder,followed my light dusting of montreal steak seasoning and finished of with some course black pepper

morgan-que
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I like s&p with a sprinkle of dark roast coffee grinds

Big George's BBQ
01-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Ron_L has a post on salting steaks I put 1/4 tsp of kosher salt per side and let it sit for 1 hr if 1 inch thick Add 15 min per 1/4 in. Rinse well and pat dry Brush with olive oil and add fresh black pepper Thats all you need Turns out awesome

qman
01-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Montreal steak seasoning
Plowboy Bovine Bold
Tatonka Dust from owens BBQ
and salt, pepper, onion powder and granulated garlic.
I will second all of these except the Bovine Bold-only cause I have never tried it.
But I normally pre season only with kosher salt, then add black pepper at the table.

Danny B
01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Equal parts kosher salt, coarse black pepper, onion salt, granulated garlic and Lawry's season salt.

Mason Dixon Bowhunta
01-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Mix 2 Tbsp worchestershire sauce, 2 Tbsp molasses and 2 Tbsp soy sauce. Flip the steaks several times and paint them each time you flip (being careful not to burn them). It will give them a nice sweet/salty crust.

Mr.OiSat
01-04-2015, 04:04 PM
I usually go with coarse salt, black pepper and some garlic powder but I will try the weber steak seasoning on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I liked it.

thirtydaZe
01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I understand looking to change things up, but at the end of the day, it a disservice to apply more than salt pepper and garlic to a good hunk of beef.

Blanton
01-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Not far from everyone else. Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ancho chile powder

IamMadMan
01-04-2015, 05:47 PM
I like OakRidge Santa Maria Steak Seasoning on my steaks and my rib roasts...

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/santa-maria-steak-seasoning/#axzz3NtpmbC36

jakel
01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
I understand looking to change things up, but at the end of the day, it a disservice to apply more than salt pepper and garlic to a good hunk of beef.

Yep only bad steaks need doctoring ........

Longhorn01
01-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Usually do the salt, pepper, garlic rub with olive oil. The only other I use is this:

http://www.fiestaspices.com/texas-bbq/uncle-chris-gourmet-steak-seasoning

Usually when doing skirt steaks or flat iron to use in Mexican dishes. Comes out great for a commercial rub.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
01-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Soak in Dale's Seasoning til room temp. Sprinkle fresh coffee grounds both sides, and let set for 5mins, the sprinkle garlic powder go very generous on the garlic powder. Lots of crushed black pepper, and lightly sprinkle kosher salt. Sear at high heat.

volfan411
01-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Oak Ridge Santa Maria seasoning is the bomb. I also us 4 parts kosher salt, 2 parts each onion and garlic powder and one part black pepper as a rub for beef.

jeffreywp1
01-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, instant coffee that dissolves in cold water, ancho chili powder and a little brown sugar.

Cajun Ty
01-04-2015, 08:37 PM
S&P for me :becky:

sscpaintman
01-04-2015, 10:36 PM
I use Texas Rib Rangers Gourmet steak seasoning.

retired trucker
01-04-2015, 10:54 PM

This, unless it is a less than stellar piece of meat. If it needs more to make it a good tasting piece of meat, then you have picked out the wrong type of steak. Of course to each his own, but if I am going to have a good steak, then I will only choose a good marbled rib-eye, or a t-bone type steak.

The exception to this is if I am going to fry the steak like a chicken fried/country fried type meal. Then, it is "Katy bar the door" and I will break out the tenderizer mallet and start to have a short prayer meeting with it until it submits. :boxing:
It is your steak, so do what you want to, to enjoy it. We all have our own special way we like our steaks.

Blessings,

Omar

LYU370
01-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Depends on the mood, I'll use any of the following:

Salt & Pepper
SM Peppered Cow
Tatonka Dust
BPS Double Secret Steak rub
Oakridge Santa Maria rub
Porkmafia Texas Gold

zach1234
01-05-2015, 12:00 AM
I love grilling up a nice steak and trying different seasonings... from what I learned from my personal experience, I season completely differently depending on two factors 1) quality/cut of steak 2)method of cooking. Essentially if I am trying to sear and super high heat (with usda prime steak, for example), I would just do a very light oil on both sides and sprinkle with kosher salt. As my favorite steaks are pretty thick, I either finish them indirect or reverse-sear. Regardless, after the sear is when I add other spices. I ruined a dry-aged steak by burning the seasoning - will never do that again. If temps are a bit lower, I love a good montreal steak spice on the steak but watch out for burning. You can always add some pepper after if you want. But my personal thought is that a great cut will give you the best flavor, and I'll gladly spend more on a steak and have it less-often. I'm hooked!

emtnate
01-05-2015, 01:08 AM
I like to sprinkle each side with kosher salt and bring to room temperature. Brush lightly with olive oil and grill. Once cooked to your liking,just a squeeze from a lemon wedge and a turn or two of black pepper.

SmokyWoodturner
01-05-2015, 05:57 AM
My vote is as several said---Salt, Pepper and Garlic

SmokinM
01-05-2015, 06:19 AM
I mainly use salt and pepper with a little dash of garlic at times. I can't wait to get my hands on some Oakridge Santa Maria rub.

MountainMan
01-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Bring a great steak to room temp.
Add Pepper.
Grill.
Finish with Sel gris.............