PDA

View Full Version : "Remote" access to *any* temp gauge with iPhone

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 08:23 PM
In a nutshell, if you have an extra iPhone lying around like I do, you can set it up to broadcast like a security camera over the internet and access that live stream from anywhere including the iPhone in your pocket. If you're interested, read on.

First, setup the "extra" iPhone as a "security camera". I'm using a $4 App called "AirBeam" on the iPhone. Buy it once and you can install it on as many iPhones and iPads as you wish. When you have that running on the iPhone you just enable it for access from anywhere and then you can access it from the iPhone in your pocket while you're out shopping.

So what I do, after I have the iPhone setup as a security camera, it set it on a tripod, point it at my BBQ temperature gauge, and that's it. I can see my BBQ temp from anywhere, anytime.

I'm not affiliated with Air Beam, just a satisfied customer. They also have a free Mac App Store App.

My background is in software and I've been writing iPhone apps for a few years now and I'm quite familiar with the technology and capabilities. Whenever I get a new iPhone I save my old one as its needed for the work that I do. So I have a couple extras lying around. This summer I setup two iPhones as security cameras while we went on vacation and the app worked flawlessly, never quit, never crashed, and I could see what was going on at the house 24/7.

My "security camera" iPhone on the tripod streaming the BBQ temperature:

This is what it looks like on the iPhone in my pocket while I'm out walking the dog:

Just want to try and give back a little to the forum. Hope someone gets something out of this.

Cheers,
Michael

Brew-Bq
01-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Is the security Iphone video always on or do you activate it from the app? Just wondering about battery life unless you left it plugged in. Pretty cheap solution and I just got a new one through work and kept the old one.

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah you gotta plug in the security camera iPhone. I mean you could get a few hours out of a full charge but when I went on vacation for sure plugged in. However I was very impressed that the app actually stayed on and no issues for the entire week. So keep it plugged in, you're good.

The cool think is that instead of a $300+ "wifi" BBQ temp solution, you can do this for $4 if you have an extra iPhone. I was using a iPhone 4 over the summer and you can get those on the auction site for $100. Probably get a smoking iPhone 5 for $200 or less.

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Is the security Iphone video always on or do you activate it from the app?

Yes, always on. The app has an option to dim the screen after a few seconds to conserve battery. Lots of options in the app = mute sound, B&W or color video, wake on motion detect, etc. Really a lot of features.

Brew-Bq
01-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks. I have an old Iphone 4. For 4$ thats a deal and I can spy on the kids while Im out shopping!

HOG FAN
01-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Can an iPad be used as well on one end or the other?

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Can an iPad be used as well on one end or the other?

Yes, either end. And a Mac as well.

ClintHTX
01-01-2015, 09:21 PM
This is awesome. I have a old iPhone and also 2 iPads. Thanks!

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Oh and you can run as many cameras as you want. I was running two cameras at my house while on vacation.

woodpelletsmoker
01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah you gotta plug in the security camera iPhone. I mean you could get a few hours out of a full charge but when I went on vacation for sure plugged in. However I was very impressed that the app actually stayed on and no issues for the entire week. So keep it plugged in, you're good.

The cool think is that instead of a $300+ "wifi" BBQ temp solution, you can do this for $4 if you have an extra iPhone. I was using a iPhone 4 over the summer and you can get those on the auction site for $100. Probably get a smoking iPhone 5 for $200 or less.
I am selling "$300+ "wifi" BBQ temp solution",
the wGrill, dual probes, with WIFI, $99
I am chinese in China.
I pay monthly cost for WIFI whatever I use it or not.
So I can say no extra cost on WIFI.
That is why I develop WIFI instead of 3G.
Do you pay for any monthly fee to telephone company by using iPhone.
If not, or if acceptable I will add 3G/4G on my wGrill in addition to WIFI

mjgillen
01-01-2015, 10:09 PM
It's just wifi, not cellular

K-Barbecue
01-02-2015, 10:00 AM
It's just wifi, not cellular

Does this work with a deactivated phone or do you still have to maintain cell service on that phone to work? Thanks for the great tip.

Shagdog
01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
How do you interact with the security camera? I mean, how do you access it? Does the app company host it? So you go to a specific IP and log in?

Q Junkie
01-02-2015, 10:12 AM
This can be done with Android phones as well. A deactivated phone will still work with WiFi.

mjgillen
01-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Yes a deactivated iPhone still has wifi capabilities.

When you setup the App to stream over the Internet the App tells you the IP address (your router IP) and which port to use. Then you use that info when you launch the App on the iPhone in your pocket. It's not super secure so someone might spy on your BBQ temps so be careful!