PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers Good Luck New Years Pics

Shiz-Nit
12-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Well I need a bit of luck this coming year so I asked my granny, what do I need to do? She replied... "Son you need to eat ham and black eyed peas on New Years Eve".....
So I made a big ole smoked ham, hoppen johns black eyed peas and a mess of broccoli casorole.

SmittyJonz
12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Mmmmm Yummy. BUT my Mom always said and made Corned Beef, Cabbage and Black Eyed Peas on New Years Day. She's half Irish and learned from a Lepricon so it has to be true.........

So to be Safe do another cook tomorrow...........:wink:

jamaicamon
12-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow.. I would love the recipe for the casserole and the beans. That looks so good!

rookiedad
12-31-2014, 08:49 PM
i feel lucky to have seen that picture!!! looks great!!! happy new year!!!

lantern
12-31-2014, 08:51 PM
That looks great.....except one tiny little thing.

Black eyed peas are one of my dreaded three. And it would take a gun to my head to get me to eat one bite. LOL!! But, I'll eat the heck out of the rest of that stuff!!

Happy Hapgood
12-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Looks like you've covered all the bases Young Man. Happy New Year!

ShadowDriver
12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Whenever you decide to serve that, you bring a whole bunch of luck to those around the table with you!

Looks outstanding!

BBQ_MAFIA
01-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Looks great. I'm sure your 2015 will be filled with great luck.

Bludawg
01-01-2015, 09:21 AM
I feel lucky to have seen a pic before it got scarfed, fine plate of eats Shiz. Since I'm officially an orphan now will you adopt me, I'll mow the yard ( as long as you have a rider):tongue:

juslearning
01-01-2015, 09:03 PM
The only thing you missed is the greens!!! You are supposed to eat greens for money. Peas are for pennies or luck, depending on who you are talking to. But, it all looks great.

bo_b_q
01-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Wow.. I would love the recipe for the casserole and the beans. That looks so good!

I'm going to second the recipe for the casserole. It all looks great, nicely done!

captndan
01-02-2015, 07:06 AM
The only thing you missed is the greens!!! You are supposed to eat greens for money. Peas are for pennies or luck, depending on who you are talking to. But, it all looks great.

And the cornbread. Where is the cornbread? It's going to be a good year for you.

Mo-Dave
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
It all looks good from here. I fixed some Hoppen Johns with red bean, and rice, ham and smoked sausage in it, with cornbread on the side. We always have blackeyed peas for New Years so I just tossed in a can of them to the Hoppen Johns. My wife's has some pickled herring on saltines, I am not a fan of that, but have forced myself to partake. After all I need all the luck I can get these days. I did not have the greens, but would have, if I would have remembered to pick some up.
Dave

diveyouth
01-02-2015, 08:50 PM
we always had the black-eyed peas and collar greens for prosperity. Years ago, when one of my sons was like 5, my dad told him that if he ate plenty of collards and peas he would get lots of money. My son was a very picky eater and never touched either food but that day he almost gorged himself with it. Afterwards my son went to my father asking for his money. My father tried to re-explain what he meant but my son was not going to have it. It cost my dad $10 that day and it was a prosperous start to my sons year!

bbqwilly
01-02-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm a sucker for some good broccoli casserole

Nice plate