PDA

View Full Version : Dry rub application

Somedayrockstar
12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Does it do anything to the meat the let the rub sit on it for a while when it's in the fridge before the smoke? Like the day or two before the actual smoke. Basically I'm asking does it change the flavor or add to it by applying the rub sooner than later.

Cayman1
12-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Dry brining will penetrate some, not as much as wet brining. The salt in the rub will pull some moisture to the surface and then pull in some of the rub. Careful on ribs, rub too far in advance and they get hammy. I think an hour is plenty for ribs. Big meats can be rubbed more in advance of cooking. 12 hours is fine for pork butts and brisket.

This is a good source on brining.
stellaculinary.com/blog/science-behind-brining

cb25
12-22-2014, 05:48 PM
My best cooks (of all types) seem to happen when I season things the night before. Usually means less than 12 hours.

The couple times I've seasoned and let it rest less than an hour, I've felt like the flavor wasn't as great.

Could be completely in my head, but that's been my experience.

Somedayrockstar
12-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I was wondering about pulling the moister out. I'll wait till it gets closer to the time of the cook then.

Cayman1
12-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Another brining article I find very informative, you might just find it boring.
stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page

Somedayrockstar
12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks for info Cayman1. I'll read through them all. I doubt I'll find it boring, I'm becoming super nerd about smoking and the art of it all. Almost to the point of moving somewhere where there is more of it.

IamMadMan
12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
I get best flavor results letting the rub sit on the meat for 8 hours or more, with the exception of ribs, I rub them 2 hours before cooking.