PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Pizzas - KCQuer style

Brauma
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
In honor/memory of Scott, I intend to make pizzas on the grill this wknd. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time and had several discussions with Scott about it. Well, its time to stop putting it off and do it.

One question: Do I need a Kitchen Aid Mixer? I dont have one but me and the wife have been wanting one forever. Maybe its time to cruise Sams and make the purchase.

If I dont have the KA mixer, can I still make the dough?

I sure did enjoy reading Scott's posts about bread and pizza dough. He was a wealth of info on this subject. Ive gone back and found his pizza dough recipe and saved it to My Recipes folder. Rest in Peace Brother.

Jorge
09-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Which recipe are you using? We'd been talking about pizza for a while.

Brauma
09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I copied this one from his post just a week or so ago:

Flour – “bread flour” Gold Medal “Better for Bread” 25.5 oz (5 3/4 cups)
Water (bottled or filtered if handy) 15.9 oz by weight or 1 3/4+ cups volume
Salt (kosher) 1 3/4 tsp
Oil (light olive oil or canola) 1 1/2 tsp
yeast (instant or active dry yeast) 1 tsp
sugar 1 tsp (I used honey instead and really liked the results)

chad
09-06-2006, 09:46 AM
You don't need a Kitchen Aid mixer...you can made really good bread dough entirely by hand...it just takes a bit longer.

Knowing KC he'd probably appreciate you breaking a sweat while kneading the dough!!

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
i buy it at the pizzaria. :) and yes, KC told me I cheated, and then asked me to send him some as well as try to get the recipes from the local places.

jt
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I've made bread & dough for over 30 years and didn't start using the mixer until a couple years ago.

Then again, that 6 quart KA is looking really good!

Jorge
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Chad is right. On the other hand KC flat out loved that KA mixer!!! The one one bonus I get from using the KA is being able to reproduce my results easier. If anything there is more cleanup than doing it by hand.

Smoker
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.think2020.com/jv/recipe.htm

Sledneck
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM

I love that place and stop there whenever im uptown. I think the key behind that pizza is that old coal burning stove

Q_Egg
09-06-2006, 09:57 AM
..... you can always knead it by hand. I bake large loaves on my cooker about every two weeks and have tried many different mixing and kneading approaches. My 'guru' has been Craig Ponsford who headed the U.S, baking team in France for their Coupe de Monde competition. Craig is a great advocate of flattening the dough out, folding it ( in thirds (left, right, top, bottom) rather than lots of kneading. I mix the bread flour or high protein flour, water, salt, and some of my starter, into a fairly firm dough, shape it, and place it in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap (~80*F) for 30 minutes .... take it out and fold again .... back in the bowl for 30 minutes .... then AGAIN ..... then leave in the bowl for the final time left for 3 hours total.

You can then either let it stand at room temp (>70*F) for another 3 hours and make the pizza, or place it in the refrigerator overnight. Take it out and let it stand for ~6 hours prior to making the pizza .

The critical issues are dough temp, flour/water ratio, enough salt to make the dough flavorful, folding enough to develop the gluten. Getting it the way you want it takes a bit of time an effort, but ... BIG DEAL ... all you ever risk is some flour and water (and your learning time).

For me, the neat thing about pizza dough is that it is fairly forgiving. I have had darn good results from fresh dough, old dough, wet dough, dry dough. The main thing is .... don't forget the salt, and remember our Brother KCquer while you're having fun.

CharlieBeasley
09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Brama By hand will work and like you I have wanted a KA mixer for a long time I found my 6qt refurbished on ebay. Having said that I won the bid and it was a direct ship from Amazon.com They are a good source I would watch for a sale and make the bread by hand this weekend. Thanks way you have the pizza and can save several hundred dollars if you watch (I Love My 6qt sausage, bread, and pasta so far!.

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
OK dang it, now I might need pizza for lunch if I have time! You people are destroying any chance I have to look buff by the time we go to Hawaii in March! :lol:

Sledneck
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM

I gotta say smoker, thanks for ruining my day. Im not in the city today and and have a huge craving for good pizza. Lawng Guyland pizza sucks!!!! Roadtrip anybody?

Ron_L
09-06-2006, 10:53 AM
One question: Do I need a Kitchen Aid Mixer? I dont have one but me and the wife have been wanting one forever. Maybe its time to cruise Sams and make the purchase.

Going by this statement alone, yes, you absolutely need a KitchenAid mixer. You will not be able to make pizza dough without one. Run, don't walk, to Sam's!

:rolleyes: :roll: :-D :cool:

cmcadams
09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
For a better price on a kitchenaid, go to their website and look for refurbished models. They have a 6 month guarantee, and you save a bundle, plus, they ship for free. I just got a professional 600 series 6 qt. model for $239 (regular is something like $470). According to Consumer's Report, it's the only one that will do dough really well. Of course, you could go with Viking, which is even better. (and more $$$).

timzcardz
09-06-2006, 11:33 AM
FWIW, for more immediate gratification, I was in Costco this weekend and they had the KA pro model for $249.

Q_Egg
09-06-2006, 11:34 AM
............ OR Bosch Universal Mixer.... way high prices many places, but a Utah site has it for $299. free shipping. Check the power and mixer arms But then, mine is only about 15 years old ! Also, compare the power ... since there are so many different KA models around at a wide range of prices.

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
You people are destroying any chance I have to look buff by the time we go to Hawaii in March! :lol:

uhh..

jeff..

Forget it.. I've seen pictures.. somethings just aint in the cards.... :wink: :mrgreen:

HoDeDo
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
uhh..jeff..Forget it.. I've seen pictures.. somethings just aint in the cards.... :wink: :mrgreen:

I second that....:shock: Besides, Jeff, its hard to maintain the waif-ish figure I have. It's just not for everyone :rolleyes:

cmcadams
09-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I'll stand up for Jeff somewhat... In Grand Rapids, with 4 or so brethren around, he was the thinnest... Sad for the rest of us!

MilitantSquatter
09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
For a change... try a grilled dessert pizza....

Sean and I made this in late June during one of our practice runs on a Weber Kettle. We used pizza dough from the pizza store... topped with homemade lemon cannoli cream, grilled peaches, toasted almond slivers and mint leaves along with apricot preserves..

I think KC would have liked this one....

Brauma
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the posts guys. The wife has one Pampered Chef 15" round stone and one square one about the same size. It might piss her off but the round one will be on the Weber this wknd. I guess I'll have to host a Pampered Chef party if I fark it up.

Solidkick
09-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
You people are destroying any chance I have to look buff by the time we go to Hawaii in March! :lol:

uhh..

jeff..

Forget it.. I've seen pictures.. somethings just aint in the cards.... :wink: :mrgreen:

Damn...Poopie beat me to it! LOL That's OK, there's just more to love, or at least that's what I tell my wife...

CarbonToe
09-07-2006, 04:57 AM
You don't need a Kitchen Aid mixer...

Chad, I think you're missing Brauma's point. :wink:

Yes, you NEED a kitchen aid mixer.

You can now go out and buy one without guilt!! :twisted:

Jeff, as you have realised by now, BBQ & Buff don't go together!!! :lol:

Brauma
09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Ok, tonight was my first ever attempt fooling with dough. I'm serious. Ive done bread machine pre-made packets but never done bread from scratch.

So, my inaugural KCQuer style pizza was anything but thin crust, but it was still damn good. (If I say so myself)

What made this pizza so good was the smoke. I added 2 small red oak splits on top of a chimney of Kingsford and the smoke taste was very noticable and incredible!!

I placed 2 firebricks on edge and laid my small pizza stone on top. I did this to get the pie up closer to the top of the dome where I knew the heat was higher.

I started with the pies on nonstick Reynolds foil and after they cooked for 5 minutes I was able to easily slide them off onto the stone. My temp was about 500* and each pie took about 15 minutes to cook.

Since this was my debut I went cheap and easy on the ingredients. I used a Pregu Organic Italian Sauce for the sauce (I had a .75 coupon), pepperoni, minced garlic, mushrooms, and shredded mozzarella. I added diced yellow bell pepper to one. Again, they tasted awesome!!

I'm hooked. I'll be doing this again real soon.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/KCQuerpizza3.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/KCQuerpizza2.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/KCQuerpizza1.jpg

bbqjoe
09-10-2006, 07:53 PM
You also have my permission to go buy a KA mixer.
Go with the pro series 6qt.
Do NOT go for the "Tilt" head model. Lots of problems!!!!!!

beerguy
09-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Looks good bro

Qczar
09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
For a change... try a grilled dessert pizza....

Sean and I made this in late June during one of our practice runs on a Weber Kettle. We used pizza dough from the pizza store... topped with homemade lemon cannoli cream, grilled peaches, toasted almond slivers and mint leaves along with apricot preserves..

I think KC would have liked this one....

MS, that is a nice idea. I`m usually not a desert maker, but I`m going to try it.

I once made a breakfast pizza with hash browns and cheese formed with round emty pockets formed at each slice location. What were the pockets for? I cracked an egg into each so each slice had a soft cooked egg. Bandeara smoked bacon sprinkled on top. I pre cooked the pizza a couple minutes before I put the egg in. A lot of work but different.

I also once made another breakfast pizza with a cream cheese and chive mixture with some mozzerella, capers, onions. When it came out of the oven I put some thinnly sliced cold smoked salmon on top my father makes.

Good stuff.

chad
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Chad, I think you're missing Brauma's point. :wink:

Yes, you NEED a kitchen aid mixer.

You can now go out and buy one without guilt!! :twisted:

Jeff, as you have realised by now, BBQ & Buff don't go together!!! :lol:

:-D . Nope, I "got" it!! My point was that for pizza crust you don't have to have any mixer.

However, I will admit that I've had my KitchenAid 5 quart for a good many years and have most of the toys that go with it. It's a great buy, even at "normal" prices and makes a great addition to the arsenal.

jt
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
That pizza looks good! We make some good pies at home but all these threads are making me want to go get a stone and do one in the smoker!

Brauma
09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, I just hope Scott is proud that I gave it a shot. What I made is a far cry from a NY thin crust style pie. But it was fun making it and to be honest I prefer thick crust pies. And the dough was so tasty! I used some local honey instead of sugar.

Here's another thing I did. (And I have no idea if this was right or wrong. But it doesnt matter because it seems to have worked.) I heated 1/4 cup of water to 120*, then disolved 1 tsp of honey in it and then dumped the yeast packet in that. And man did it take off and form a head.

Once I got the flour worked up into a ball I added the yeast slurry. Stirred into another big ball and covered with a towel.

After thinking about it, this really wasnt all that much trouble. I'll be doing it again - soon.

Thanks KC. I hope I done you proud.

brian j
09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, I just hope Scott is proud that I gave it a shot. What I made is a far cry from a NY thin crust style pie. But it was fun making it and to be honest I prefer thick crust pies. And the dough was so tasty! I used some local honey instead of sugar.

Here's another thing I did. (And I have no idea if this was right or wrong. But it doesnt matter because it seems to have worked.) I heated 1/4 cup of water to 120*, then disolved 1 tsp of honey in it and then dumped the yeast packet in that. And man did it take off and form a head.

Once I got the flour worked up into a ball I added the yeast slurry. Stirred into another big ball and covered with a towel.

After thinking about it, this really wasnt all that much trouble. I'll be doing it again - soon.

Thanks KC. I hope I done you proud.
nice work. i've always been nervous about playing with dough. i tried making dinner rolls once and lets just say the resembled stones more than rolls, but i may give this a whirl some time.