PDA

View Full Version : Rocking weber kettle????

zakdk
12-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Hi ALL ,last week i had a chance to buy at a good Price 2- 22inch weber kettles.
What i noticed ,was on one of them ,that the lid hasnt got a tight seal and
it rocks and moves forward/back right and left pretty easy, contrary the other just fits perfect and no movemnt at all.
What are the disadvantages when the lid rocks ?Should i throw it away?:rolleyes:

smoke ninja
12-21-2014, 04:55 AM
Lid may be out of round. A little careful squeezing may shore it up.

zakdk
12-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Lid may be out of round. A little careful squeezing may shore it up.
.....is there a easy way of measuring the out of round of the lid?

Wolverine
12-21-2014, 05:31 AM
yep out of round, may have been dropped, like ninja says give it a squeeze in the right spot.

smoke ninja
12-21-2014, 05:44 AM

I've just squoze(?) Mine where It needed, sorta guess and check method. I guess you could use a tape measure and see where it's wider. Just be gentle as I've heard of a chance of chipping/cracking enamel.

Harbormaster
12-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Either the lid or the bowl may be out of round.

Easiest way to check is with a measuring tape. Hook your tape on one side, swing an arc to the other side looking for the biggest measurment. Do this in multiple spots checking the diameter of the grill or lid. If it's 'round', all of your measurements will be fairly close (within 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch). If there's a bigger disparity it's out of round. Find the location with the largest measurement, hold one side against your chest and 'bear hug' the other side a little. Check all of your measurements again. Continue until you have nearly the same measurements everywhere.

Sounds like these were CL scores, and this condition is pretty common.

jmck999
12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Either the lid or the bowl may be out of round.

Easiest way to check is with a measuring tape. Hook your tape on one side, swing an arc to the other side looking for the biggest measurment. Do this in multiple spots checking the diameter of the grill or lid. If it's 'round', all of your measurements will be fairly close (within 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch). If there's a bigger disparity it's out of round. Find the location with the largest measurement, hold one side against your chest and 'bear hug' the other side a little. Check all of your measurements again. Continue until you have nearly the same measurements everywhere.

Sounds like these were CL scores, and this condition is pretty common.
I may have missed something here but wouldn't it be easier to take the good fitting lid and try it on the other grill? If so then it would be a lid problem right?

Cayman1
12-21-2014, 10:39 AM
That would work unless it is the kettle itself that is out of round which is also possible, but more likely the lid has been dropped.

dadsr4
12-21-2014, 11:36 AM
once you have determined which way it is distorted, place it on the ground like this, 0, and press gently down on the top till it looks like O.

zakdk
12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
...tried the good kettle lid on the bad kettle and it rocked,so i tried the bad lid on the the good kettle and that rocked ,put the good lid back too the good bowl and no rocking !!!!!
........does that mean that bowl and lid are out of round??

dadsr4
12-21-2014, 11:52 AM
...tried the good kettle lid on the bad kettle and it rocked,so i tried the bad lid on the the good kettle and that rocked ,put the good lid back too the good bowl and no rocking !!!!!
........does that mean that bowl and lid are out of round??
It could. The same method that works on a lid works on the base. On the kettle bottom, you can lay a flat piece of plywood on top of it to determine which way it needs to be pushed. Another thing that can cause wobbling of a lid is if the edge of the lid is bent, like from a drop. A padded pair of pliers can be used to gently bend it out. Work from the edges of the bend towards the center, bending just a little at a time. If you have a padded hammer, you can place the lid on a good bottom and gently tap around the cicumferance to reshape the lip of the lid.

smoke ninja
12-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Could be. If thats the case work the lid intil it fits as good as you can get it. It may only fit well in one orientation. Once your satisfied make a line from the lid to bowl. When you put the lid on just be sure to line up your marks. Ive used a badly mangled kettle before and while not idea it is still functional.

Smoke & Beers
12-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Call Weber Customer service and they will send you a new lid.

Grain Belt
12-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Call Weber Customer service and they will send you a new lid.

Not necessary or ethical. The OP just needs to tweek the lid and or bowl a little and life will be good. If we take advantage of Weber's generosity too much, eventually it will bite us and they won't offer services when they are truly needed in my opinion.

zakdk
12-25-2014, 02:37 PM
...anyway i gave it the bear hug and was able to get it at a tight fitting Again ,i also used a ruler to see where the of set was and i am going to get some binding clips just in case as per described in this forum:
http://smokenatorforum.proboards.com/thread/9/stop-leaky-kettle
hope this helps other in similiar situation :)

dadsr4
12-25-2014, 05:48 PM
...anyway i gave it the bear hug and was able to get it at a tight fitting Again ,i also used a ruler to see where the of set was and i am going to get some binding clips just in case as per described in this forum:
http://smokenatorforum.proboards.com/thread/9/stop-leaky-kettle
hope this helps other in similiar situation :)
I use binder clips if I am cooking at a low temp. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.