PDA

View Full Version : Baby backs

BigTSmoker
12-14-2014, 05:46 PM
I cooked a rack of baby backs on my stump today and they were dry. I cooked 3-2-1 and put some apple juice, butter, honey in my wrap. The bite was good so they were not over cooked. Whet can I do to improve?

DetTigersFan
12-14-2014, 11:06 PM
I cooked a rack of baby backs on my stump today and they were dry. I cooked 3-2-1 and put some apple juice, butter, honey in my wrap. The bite was good so they were not over cooked. Whet can I do to improve?

How did you determine it was time to take them off?
What temp did you cook at?

pjtexas1
12-15-2014, 12:18 AM
3-2-1 was developed for full spares. BBs are much smaller. Depending on temp they might have dried out during the first 3 hours. I do them 2-.25-.5 at 300-325. I might go 3 hours at the most. Bend test will tell you when they are done.

BigTSmoker
12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
I cooked at 225* and check them with the bend test. I always thought that if they were over cooked they would be falling off the bone. Is it possible to over cook and not be falling off the bone?

legendaryhog
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I agree with PJ. 6 hours on a rack of baby backs is pretty long. Baby backs come off the ribs next to the loin. So the meat is more like a pork chop than the fattier spare ribs which come off the belly. I think you were on the right track, but you cooked all of the (and there is not really that much) fat out of them, hence the lack of moisture.

Sammy_Shuford
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I have had Baby backs go 6 hours, but these were thick and very meaty. I also SHUT DOOR and leave it shut. Open and close will loose heat and moisture.

grantw
12-15-2014, 01:41 PM
They were nakid too long, kinda had a jerky like texture?

BigTSmoker
12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Not jerky but dry. The bite was not bad but I'm use to them being moist. When I foiled them I put them meat side up not sure if that would be a problem.

pjtexas1
12-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Not jerky but dry. The bite was not bad but I'm use to them being moist. When I foiled them I put them meat side up not sure if that would be a problem.

I put them meat side down in the foil so the meat sits in the liquid. I don't know how much of the bones would touch the liquid since they are curved.