PDA

View Full Version : $500 Pits.

SmittyJonz
12-14-2014, 09:57 AM
In New $500 Readily Available Store Bought Stick Burners you have 4 Choices:

1. "Ok Joe" at Lowes n Walmart - $429-$449.
2. Old Country Pecos - Academy $399.
3. Old Country Wrangler - Academy $499.
4. Old Country Over n Under - Academy $499.

I have cooked on 1,2 n 3 in the last year and half. They all cooked about the same. None had Mods. I used cookie sheets and foil water pans under the grate on FireBox Side. 1 and 2 are Basically the Same (Size, Gauge, Look) 3 is heavier Gauge on the Doors but Smaller. 4 I have not cooked on but I look at them every Academy Trip. I don't need it cuz I have a PatchWork Bandera. I wish someone local to me would get one so I can cook on it. I would Help them with the Tweaks too.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg~original (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg~original (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg.html)

So if you are in the MKT for a $500 Stick Burner go look at ALL and make up your Mind. I don't see Nuttin wrong with buying any of them.

You High End Pit Owners need to remember the Days of cooking on the cheaper pits because that's what you could afford or was willing to Spend and STOP comparing your $1000-$1500-$2000-$2500 Pits to $500 Pits. That's just Stupid, UnFair and you could be Discouraging a Guy that $500 is All his has to spend on a Pit and it IS a Big Purchase for him. All 4 of those Pits can put out some Good Q - I know cuz I done it. Yes they will burn some Wood but not near as Much as the $200-$250 COS Pits. If one took care of the above Pits Id say they are 10 yr Pits.

Once I get my BadAzz Muscrat Pit in future I will still Look at the Mid Grade Pits and recommend or review them for the Newbs and Average Joes ( like me) for Who $500 is a Big Purchase.

Many will say keep saving and get the so n so Small Backyard model for $850-$1000 but for some Folks the Difference tween $500 and $900 is 1 Yr., for some it's 2 yrs. Some guys can swing $900 but don't want to. MANY Kitchen Passes Cap at $500.

DUBBAGA
12-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Thank you for posting this information.

Now, how long until someone gives the recommendation to "Build a UDS"? http://www.throttlejockey.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/SmileySuicide.gif

SmittyJonz
12-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I LOVE my UDS but this is about Stickburners. :mrgreen:

deguerre
12-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Good Post Smitty. There are quite a few folks on this site who do some amazing cooking on inexpensive stick burners, even on a COS. :thumb:

smoke ninja
12-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I got my gently used ok joe from ButtBurner. He modded it with a few tuning plates and some insulation in the fire box. The price was a steal.

Great entry level cooker and worlds away from the under $200 models

It likes to run 275+ and works best with small splits

saseekutz
12-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Ive been cooking on the Pecos for just over a year and love it. I had to work with a reasonable budget and for 400 bucks it's worth every Penny plus some. Added a second shelf while I save for a different unit in the meantime. It holds temps like a champ for me.

pjtexas1
12-14-2014, 11:58 AM
This was my cycle
1st - $50 brinkmann vertical (wasted tons of fuel but I learned how to q)
2nd - $200 cheap/small offset (burned a lot of fuel and I learned how to manage a fire)
3rd - decent offset (wish I would have started with this one)

I believe what people are trying to say is start with a better quality cooker if you can because it will be a more enjoyable experience. I don't believe the intent of anyone here is to shame someone who cannot afford or justify an expensive cooker. My first offset drove me nuts but I made it work. I also think having all the information is critical in making a decision. We don't want the new guys buying a cooker thinking it is going to be as easy as cooking on a LSG or Shirley. That is where the new guys get frustrated. If you know you are buying a cooker that will be a little more work or need mods then you know what you are getting into and there will be no surprises. Just my .02. Good q can be made on anything if the cook works at it.:-D

peeps
12-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks for sharing Smitty...it is important to remember that the commitment is always different for different folks!

smoke ninja
12-14-2014, 05:53 PM
I will add that since i started using a stick burner food from my other cookers feels like imitation bbq. The difference is amazing

dwfisk
12-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Good info here, thanks. Not everybody has the stuff/skill to build custom pits, the $ to get a high end pit or even the need for a high end pit. Ain't nothing wrong with making what you can afford work; kettle, UDS, COS or whatever.

RolandJT
12-14-2014, 09:46 PM

I have cooked on 1,2 n 3 in the last year and half. They all cooked about the same. None had Mods. I used cookie sheets and foil water pans under the grate on FireBox Side. 1 and 2 are Basically the Same (Size, Gauge, Look) 3 is heavier Gauge on the Doors but Smaller. 4 I have not cooked on but I look at them every Academy Trip. I don't need it cuz I have a PatchWork Bandera. I wish someone local to me would get one so I can cook on it. I would Help them with the Tweaks too.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg.html)

So if you are in the MKT for a $500 Stick Burner go look at ALL and make up your Mind. I don't see Nuttin wrong with buying any of them.

You High End Pit Owners need to remember the Days of cooking on the cheaper pits because that's what you could afford or was willing to Spend and STOP comparing your $1000-$1500-$2000-$2500 Pits to $500 Pits. That's just Stupid, UnFair and you could be Discouraging a Guy that $500 is All his has to spend on a Pit and it IS a Big Purchase for him. All 4 of those Pits can put out some Good Q - I know cuz I done it. Yes they will burn some Wood but not near as Much as the $200-$250 COS Pits. If one took care of the above Pits Id say they are 10 yr Pits.

Once I get my BadAzz Muscrat Pit in future I will still Look at the Mid Grade Pits and recommend or review them for the Newbs and Average Joes ( like me) for Who $500 is a Big Purchase.

Many will say keep saving and get the so n so Small Backyard model for $850-$1000 but for some Folks the Difference tween $500 and $900 is 1 Yr., for some it's 2 yrs. Some guys can swing $900 but don't want to. MANY Kitchen Passes Cap at $500.

Thanks buddy :thumb::thumb:

$500 was my budget. I went with a WSM 22 and I haven't regretted it yet. Got great comments on my whole shoulders and spares.

To you average guys--$500 is enough to make BBQ better than all but the top 10% of 'BBQ' joints out there. Don't let the semi-pros scare you off.

BigBobBQ
12-14-2014, 10:49 PM
I agree, I would love a Shirley or a Lang but that type of investment is just not possible for me. I wanted a decent quality offset so I had to scour CL until I found a NB Oklahoma Joe that needed a new paint job for a price I could afford. That was the best $75 I have ever spent and with $30 worth of materials it now will last for many more years.

Metron
12-15-2014, 03:04 AM
The Over n' Under really has my attention for the future. I'd like a simple, straight forward stick burner that's not too much money and love the design. I had looked at The Good One line in the past and may still look to them in the future for when I make the next purchase, but the OnU fits nearly all the qualities I'm interested in. The only thing I wish it had was a manual open/close baffle between the firebox and cook chamber.

16Adams
12-15-2014, 08:09 AM
500 bucks??? A few weber grates or case pocket knife skinned coat hangers. Let's Cook!!! I'm 56. Thinking back on what my dad cooked in (guessing 18" cast aluminum from Sears). Five Benjis would have been hilarious in the 60's for a cooker/smoker. In NE Oklahoma I was surrounded by UDS's. Mostly marshmallows and Oscars though.

SmittyJonz
12-15-2014, 08:33 AM
500 bucks??? A few weber grates or case pocket knife skinned coat hangers. Let's Cook!!! I'm 56. Thinking back on what my dad cooked in (guessing 18" cast aluminum from Sears). Five Benjis would have been hilarious in the 60's for a cooker/smoker. In NE Oklahoma I was surrounded by UDS's. Mostly marshmallows and Oscars though.

Wasn't Brisket $.39/Lb then.......

16Adams
12-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Wasn't Brisket $.39/Lb then.......

Probably. Enjoyed your review and like you I find the O/U an interesting cooker. Academy near me had one for a while. I didn't see it yesterday but I did find five boxes of urban friendly 22short

SmittyJonz
12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Probably. Enjoyed your review and like you I find the O/U an interesting cooker. Academy near me had one for a while. I didn't see it yesterday but I did find five boxes of urban friendly 22short

Good Find. :eusa_clap

AlwaysSmokey
12-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Remember to watch craig's list fellas. I've already seen a few pop up in the last 2 months. (not the o/u obviously) .... but it will. :thumb:

WhitesideJC
12-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Given that this is my first post on the forum, I find it fitting to post about my "gateway smoker" into the smoking world.

I asked for and received an Orion Smoker a few years ago as a gift. Now, I know it strays from "traditional" smoking, it gave me the itch to learn more and more about barbecue. It's at a fairly decent price point, which makes in (IMO) a good option for anyone just starting out.

After a few years in and much research conducted (including trolling this forum!), I'm now ready to move on to a more "official" smoker. We shall see where I land...

DaveAlvarado
12-15-2014, 01:45 PM
I've got a 22" WSM and an Old Country Pecos in my backyard right now.

If your budget is $500 or less, I'd recommend either of those. WSM for set-and-forget style charcoal cooking, Pecos for stickburning. I've turned out some great Q on both of them. They're certainly good for family-size cooking, won't take up all the room in your back yard, and won't break the bank.

You really have to look at spending in the $2500 range to get a significant upgrade from either of those. For me, the next steps would be a LSG insulated cabinet for the ultimate in charcoal cooking, or a LSG or Shirley offset for stick burning (depending on if you want traditional or reverse flow). If you want to go beyond that, you're really looking at whatever manufacturer makes the best trailer for your particular needs, or stepping into a commercial unit like an Ole Hickory. Or buying my dream smoker, a Jambo. :)

seattlepitboss
12-16-2014, 06:07 AM
In New $500 Readily Available Store Bought Stick Burners you have 4 Choices

<snip>

Dear sIR. You haVe Big ProblEms with CapiTal LetterS.

seattlepitboss

SmittyJonz
12-16-2014, 07:29 AM
<snip>

Dear sIR. You haVe Big ProblEms with CapiTal LetterS.

seattlepitboss

Capitals Are My Favoritiest Letters.......

16Adams
12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Capitals Are My Favoritiest Letters.......

You are a true gentleman with that response, I had four typed and deleted due to practicing my 2015 New Years Resolution "not my monkey not my circus". Il probably fail, that's why I'm practicing. 😄⛳️

SmittyJonz
12-16-2014, 07:48 AM
You are a true gentleman with that response, I had four typed and deleted due to practicing my 2015 New Years Resolution "not my monkey not my circus". Il probably fail, that's why I'm practicing. 😄⛳️

:mrgreen:

Muscrat
12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
The thing I like about this sight is that somebody can come on and ask questions and there is countless people willing to help and add suggestions. No judging cause somebody has less to work with. If you have a passion for cooking Then your excepted. My first smoker was a sheet metal offset that a lady gave cause she couldn't affor to pay me for mowing her grass. this thing couldn't have been more than $200 new but it worked. Any pit on the market will work and all you have to do is control the air into the fire box. That's it. No commercial cooker is thinner than a UDS and how many of us have made killer food on one of those. My advise when looking at an academy cooker is "can I seal up the firebox so there is no Uncontrolled air coming into the box!" If you can go for it! These high end cooker that I have built don't yeild any better product than a well modified $500 cooker. These things are wants and not needs if ya know what I mean. The cooker I'm currently making for myself isn't gonna be sexy like some I've done but it'll be functional. I'll post some build pics in a new thread but I currently don't have a cooker to cook on so speed to completion is of the essence.

Blue Smoke BBQ
12-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Great comments guys, mo matter what you cook on, love it and enjoy the experience!

HarrynVegas
12-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I've had my Brinkmann Vertical stick burner for several months now. I did all of the mods to seal it up and built a damper similar to the one in the Bandera thread. If you live in a moderate climate (I'm in Las Vegas) it is a great smoker at a great price. (Less than $350 with mods) I use it exclusively as a stick burner and find it uses the typical split every 30-45 minutes to maintain temp. The smoke is thin blue and the meats taste amazing. The capacity probably exceeds anything that I will ever need. I know what Brinkmann's rep is with COS, but as Meathead said, this one is different because of the physics. Heat/smoke wants to go up, not sideways. I think the quality has improved since it was introduced. I've sealed it all around with Nomex, but I'm not sure that it was all needed. My door seemed to fit well when I got it. YMMV.

Cat797
12-16-2014, 01:51 PM
I like having options......Some of us are just at different spots on the BBQ journey. Here is my evolution:

1. Brinkman charcoal vertical - sucked immensely and I couldn't figure it out, but I was a younger lad and had many beers to drink. Used one time and thrown in the garbage because I couldn't keep fire lit.

Fast forward about 15 years....

2. Brinkman Smoke n Pit Professional - gave to me free if I cooked for the guy I got it from. No problem. :biggrin1: Learned how to manage a fire with this unit. Paid it forward and gave this cooker to a young guy who needed a smoker to cook for his sister's wedding.

3. Built my own RF Offset trailer smoker - took me about 2 years and a couple grand to complete, but it puts out awesome BBQ. My go to smoker today.

4. UDS - It sure is nice to have a little cooker and one that pretty much runs itself overnight so I can sleep. Still have this one...all I have to do is borrow the lid from my Weber kettle when using it.

5. Masterbuilt Electric Smoker - I bought this little guy last year as a dedicated sausage smoker. I'm still getting the hang of it, but so far so good.

6. ??? - Probably going to build myself an insulated cabinet one of these days.....

I can honestly say, I have enjoyed cooking on the cheaper units just as much as the more expensive one I built myself. To me, I learn something everytime.....and, IMHO, it boils down to patience. Take your time, and it's done when it's done.

Ed

SmittyJonz
12-17-2014, 08:37 AM
All true but this thread is about NEW Affordable Mid Grade Stickburners.

SmittyJonz
12-19-2014, 06:27 PM
If any stick burner Newbs on the Ft Worth side of the MetroMess wants or needs help with any of these I'd be happy to help you mod it -season it -first cook -whatever.

I don't help with High End stuff tho :loco:

pjtexas1
12-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't help with High End stuff tho :loco:

BBQ snob:laugh:

ummmmm....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200738&highlight=build&page=4

SmittyJonz
12-19-2014, 07:45 PM

ummmmm....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200738&highlight=build&page=4

That IS EXACTLY why I can't help on high end pits .... I don't like Jonesing

SmittyJonz
12-19-2014, 07:47 PM

That's Reverse BBQ Snob anyways....... :shock:

Throwchunks
12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
$500 pits? Never use them. Don't want them.

SmittyJonz
12-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Getcha One. :mrgreen:

SmittyJonz
01-15-2015, 02:38 PM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/null_zps1d771541.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/null_zps1d771541.jpg.html)

SmittyJonz
01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Getcha One

vraknari
01-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Any thoughts on the Brinkman TrailMaster Limited Edition? It's in the Home Depot near me, and I was thinking about picking it up to practice on while I save up for a sturdier/beefier offset.

Thanks.

diveyouth
01-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks for this post. I have begun my venture on the "Q" road as a beginner with a OK Joes Longhorn. To hear that some of the brethren began just as I have with a starter smoker. It gives us beginners inspiration to know that we can learn and create some of the foods that I see on this site.

SmittyJonz
01-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Any thoughts on the Brinkman TrailMaster Limited Edition? It's in the Home Depot near me, and I was thinking about picking it up to practice on while I save up for a sturdier/beefier offset.

Thanks.

It's lighter gauge and only spot welded but a it can put out decent Q. You will probally have to seal end caps and temp swings will be greater and more frequent.

SmittyJonz
01-30-2015, 03:57 PM
This one ?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Heavy-Gauge-Off-Set-Smoker-and-Grill-855-6306-S/205501535

I thought you meant this one but I'd still rather have the Ok Joe Longhorn from Walmarts.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Trailmaster-Vertical-Smoker-855-6303-SB/203703110/

bigchriss04
02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
Old country wrangler love it can't go wrong

SmittyJonz
05-21-2015, 07:04 PM

1buckie
05-21-2015, 08:12 PM
That does it....I'm building a Weber Kettle stickburner !!!!!

Beentown
05-21-2015, 08:49 PM

I would love to see Weber build a patio model stick burner.

1buckie
05-21-2015, 09:15 PM

I would love to see Weber build a patio model stick burner.

Mine's just going to be customized out of all the spare beat up kettles laying around, but they could probably do a decent job of it.....:clap:

redline bovine
05-21-2015, 11:16 PM
I like the oklahoma joes longhorn. But i'd be happy with a oklahoma joes highlander. As long as it had all the mods done. I hear that they cook well with all the mods done. Basically just get the things sealed up tight so you can truly control the air flow.

SmittyJonz
06-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Bump for the Summertime Cooks......

Joe Black
06-19-2015, 11:23 AM
In all of my research before I had my cooker built, the best one that I saw for the money was the Old Country Wrangler. Some say that it is smaller than a Pecos. Maybe a very little bit, but the Wrangler is 1/4" and that will give a new smoker better heat retention, better control and a better overall learning curve for a step up when it's wanted. Just my $0.02.

jjjonz
06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Smitty go ahead and get you a good one ...the PBC. I am 72 and cooked on about everything under the sun,but this little thing is just about set and forget.....Plus it will hold a lot of meat to.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

zanna5910
06-19-2015, 11:48 AM
These are some good pits for the money. I would like to point out that some of the best q i have ever eaten has been on less pits than these, some truly downright POS pits honestly. Its all about the indian not the arrow.

I believe A Franklin got his start learning on a cheap offset worse than these. I would imagine his brisket ended up turning out okay.

SmittyJonz
06-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Smitty go ahead and get you a good one ...the PBC. I am 72 and cooked on about everything under the sun,but this little thing is just about set and forget.....Plus it will hold a lot of meat to.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

Great lil cookers and I recommend them a lot but I have a UDS. This thread was for offsets.

cb25
06-19-2015, 01:19 PM
I've got an OK Joe's that I got on sale from Lowe's. It was a little scratched up since it was a floor model, so they knocked the price down a little further. Think it was $395 out the door.

It defnitely has it's limitations, and I've had some frustrating nights/days trying to keep temp stable and the smoke clean.

With a little bit of experience though, it turns out good Q time and time again. Plus, for me, I feel like I learned a TON about fire management and how to cook by using this "cheap" cooker.

I think it's a great first pit, though it helps to know the limitations before hand so you have an idea of what to expect, and whether or not it's the right cooker for you personally.

searnold56
06-19-2015, 01:20 PM
I really like that Old Country Over-Under... We'll have to see what the wife's Father's Day budget is....

SmittyJonz
06-19-2015, 01:23 PM
All the pits - well not over n under- will benefit and be easier to cook on with a convection plate or tuning plates - get end to end temps down to 20* difference instead of 75-100* Difference.

Also you cook in a Temp range of Target +\- 25* not a steady temp so temps will slowly raise and drop 50* as you add wood. On higher end pits its +\- 10/15*.

Fat Cap
06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Totally Agree! I have a UDS, a Treager Texas and a 30x90 trailer. Each has it's pros and cons. I didn't start with a trailer rig. I started with a crappy brinkman 2 in 1. After finding a way to make some pretty decent meat I decided to upgrade. I built my own trailer rig, used it for two years, sold it and bought a Shirley. This is NOT for everyone. I do a lot of charity cooks at church and local schools, so for me it made sense. Bigger is not always better...at least that's what they tell me! :oops: A $500 dollar smoker can put out some amazing Q, and will do the job 99.9%of the time.

SmittyJonz
06-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Bump for Newbs.......

qnbiker
06-28-2015, 09:18 AM
My first smoker was a Silver Smoker; did all the mods and learned about fire control with it. Turned out some great Q but used too much fuel. I've settled on Weber verticals and am quite happy with what I have, but I always wonder if I would have stayed with offsets if I had started with a mid-level rather than a COS. A friend has a Lang and I keep wondering what it would look like on my deck.

SmittyJonz
06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
My first smoker was a Silver Smoker; did all the mods and learned about fire control with it. Turned out some great Q but used too much fuel. I've settled on Weber verticals and am quite happy with what I have, but I always wonder if I would have stayed with offsets if I had started with a mid-level rather than a COS. A friend has a Lang and I keep wondering what it would look like on my deck.

Get ya One and keep the WSMs so you have Options........Every Man oughta have atleast 2 kinds of Cookers. :heh:

Richard1233
06-28-2015, 09:32 AM
500 is a big buy. I just spent $400 on a 22 WSM that arives on tuesday, i can't wait! But it took some convincing to my wife to get it. It wasn't easy to convince her either. Took 3 whole days off together of showing her YouTube videos and customer reviews from multiple websites, all of which got 5 stars. And she still reminds me every day that she can't believe I spent $400 on a smoker.

SmittyJonz
06-28-2015, 11:00 AM
500 is a big buy. I just spent $400 on a 22 WSM that arives on tuesday, i can't wait! But it took some convincing to my wife to get it. It wasn't easy to convince her either. Took 3 whole days off together of showing her YouTube videos and customer reviews from multiple websites, all of which got 5 stars. And she still reminds me every day that she can't believe I spent $400 on a smoker.

I just bought a Used Vertical from DWFisk and its was in this price range - my most expensive purchase yet. They are usually Junkers from Craigs List for $60-$180..........

pjtexas1
06-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Can definitely understand. 3 years ago I bought my first "expensive" cooker, wasn't much more than $500. Wife and I both thought it was way too much. I was like Smitty finding cheap stuff to cook on from CL. They come around after a few years.

SmittyJonz
07-07-2015, 07:10 PM
:shock:

Bludawg
07-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Ouch! :laugh:

dsp2
07-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Love this thread. Thanks for the info!

Clay-b-que
07-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Was just looking at the Old Country's today. I built a UDS and feel very comfortable and am ready for the next step which I think is a stick burner. But I think I might build one for myself after reading franklins book and working with the calculator. Don't know what would be better. Buy one or build one???

SmittyJonz
07-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Was just looking at the Old Country's today. I built a UDS and feel very comfortable and am ready for the next step which I think is a stick burner. But I think I might build one for myself after reading franklins book and working with the calculator. Don't know what would be better. Buy one or build one???

Depends on your skill set and finances. Some build to save $ and some build to have a better smoker or certain size. I don't weld worth a chit and don't own a welder so have to haul things to work(and they wouldn't want me doing a Big project like that at work) or a Buddies house so I'd buy one. I do little fixes n such at work and I patched up a rusted out Bandera over at a Buddies house.

Clay-b-que
07-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Skill set is no problem. Finances are in the $500 range. So don't know if is should get an Old Country delivered to Colorado or just build my own.

SmittyJonz
07-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Skill set is no problem. Finances are in the $500 range. So don't know if is should get an Old Country delivered to Colorado or just build my own.

If you can weld and can get a propane tank or pipe for a fair price I'd build one. I would go 24" but I wouldn't want smaller than 20" Diameter. I'd go 48" on cook chamber and what calculator says on firebox but atleast 20" length so splits will fit. then I'd stick the firebox under it in center.......:heh: and make a double reverse flow T Pit like a Johnson. :mrgreen:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=107

BoLiles
07-08-2015, 04:03 PM
If you can weld and can get a propane tank or pipe for a fair price I'd build one. I would go 24" but I wouldn't want smaller than 20" Diameter. I'd go 48" on cook chamber and what calculator says on firebox but atleast 20" length so splits will fit. then I'd stick the firebox under it in center.......:heh: and make a double reverse flow T Pit like a Johnson. :mrgreen:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=107

well I have a old pretty solid NB Silver Smoker in my backyard...trying to decide which mods to do to it in which order.

Lockon
07-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I get what the water pans are for, but how do you use the cookie sheets?

SmittyJonz
07-08-2015, 04:48 PM
I get what the water pans are for, but how do you use the cookie sheets?

Under water pans as a convection plate

SmittyJonz
08-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Academy - Arlington Tx July 28th 2015. I counted 12 Pecos, 8 Wranglers and 3 Over n Unders between what was in back and on front porch.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/541AAFA7-F543-4745-8C30-388B6BD6DD75_zpsjeq6agpq.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/541AAFA7-F543-4745-8C30-388B6BD6DD75_zpsjeq6agpq.jpg.html)

longhair75
08-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Of all the COS smokers mentioned, I think I am using the cheapest:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/longhair75/photo%202_1.jpg

It was about $100 out the door in a sale at Target. It is very light gauge steel and leaks smoke from every seam. The first two smokes did not work due to a silly assembly error.

I sorted that out, and last weekend I smoked an amazingly tasty pork butt.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/longhair75/photo%204.jpg

Next season, I will upgrade to a much better stick burner, but for now, I am learning to smoke meat......

Doog
08-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Smitty
Wished I lived near an Academy store. I would like to look at a few of them models up close and personal.

Longhair75
Nice cook!!

longhair75
08-01-2015, 08:44 PM
thanks!

SmittyJonz
08-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Of all the COS smokers mentioned, I think I am using the cheapest:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/longhair75/photo%202_1.jpg

It was about $100 out the door in a sale at Target. It is very light gauge steel and leaks smoke from every seam. The first two smokes did not work due to a silly assembly error.

I sorted that out, and last weekend I smoked an amazingly tasty pork butt.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/longhair75/photo%204.jpg

Next season, I will upgrade to a much better stick burner, but for now, I am learning to smoke meat......

:thumb:

Clay-b-que
08-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Academy - Arlington Tx July 28th 2015. I counted 12 Pecos, 8 Wranglers and 3 Over n Unders between what was in back and on front porch.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/541AAFA7-F543-4745-8C30-388B6BD6DD75_zpsjeq6agpq.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/541AAFA7-F543-4745-8C30-388B6BD6DD75_zpsjeq6agpq.jpg.html)

Which one ya buy?!?

SmittyJonz
08-18-2015, 04:52 PM
:crazy:

SmittyJonz
08-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Pick Ya One.

doubt3
09-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Great Info! Heading to academy after work.

robert-r
09-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Picked up this today:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1056_zpshhawtgag.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1054_zpszjv8ahks.jpg

Was in Lowes & it had my name on it. Except the reduced price wasn't there. Talked to the manager: it was a return because the original purchaser said he couldn't keep the coals lit. So after one cook, it was back to the store. Did a little haggling & you can see the price I agreed to pay.

I can see a few leaks & there are a few "bad fits" and scratches. I'm sure I can fix most of what's wrong with it.

I've been wanting a stick burner for a while & the price was right!

SteveKing
09-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Hell of a deal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

robert-r
09-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Hell of a deal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Thanks!

I'm going to start working with it over the next week or so. Will be doing a lot of research regards mods/fixes for this cooker. I think there is a lot of aftermarket information on the OK Joes.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me as I'm a WSM dude.

Doog
09-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Robert
That's one heck of a deal!!
I own a Longhorn also.
As far mods go...I made a fire grate out of angle iron & expanded metal. It sits about 3 1/2" off the firebox floor. Next I welded a convection plate up out of 1/4" steel. Then used 1/2" nomex self stick gasket to seal my cooking chamber door.
I fill a chimney full of charcoal/lump mix and when it's lite and all glowing. I dump it in my firebox and then add 2 splits. I then let the smoker stabilize. "20 - 30 mins"
Main thing is maintaining a clean fire

robert-r
09-24-2015, 01:22 AM
Robert
That's one heck of a deal!!
I own a Longhorn also.
As far mods go...I made a fire grate out of angle iron & expanded metal. It sits about 3 1/2" off the firebox floor. Next I welded a convection plate up out of 1/4" steel. Then used 1/2" nomex self stick gasket to seal my cooking chamber door.
I fill a chimney full of charcoal/lump mix and when it's lite and all glowing. I dump it in my firebox and then add 2 splits. I then let the smoker stabilize. "20 - 30 mins"
Main thing is maintaining a clean fire

Thanks. It's a Highlander as near as I can tell. Probably about the right size for wifey & me.

Do you have pix of your fabricated fire grate & convection plate? Got DIY info? I'd really appreciate your knowledge. Totally newb regards this cooker.

Doog
09-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Thanks. It's a Highlander as near as I can tell. Probably about the right size for wifey & me.

Do you have pix of your fabricated fire grate & convection plate? Got DIY info? I'd really appreciate your knowledge. Totally newb regards this cooker.

Below is a picture of my grate.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216296

Here is a link for horizon convection plates
http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/accessories-1/

SmittyJonz
09-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Score! It's the smaller Highlander.

SmittyJonz
09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks!

I'm going to start working with it over the next week or so. Will be doing a lot of research regards mods/fixes for this cooker. I think there is a lot of aftermarket information on the OK Joes.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me as I'm a WSM dude.

It doesn't need many mods. A grate in FB to let as fall ( if it doesn't already have it) and a convection plate. That's it.

SmittyJonz
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Still true but Wrangler may be going away?

Joe Black
10-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Longhair, that sliced butt looks great. What was the IT when you took it off? As far as leakage on your smoker, all I can see is TBS. Good job, Joe

Roguejim
10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
A few folks have said these $500 stick burners are okay if you're aware of their "limitations". If the OK Joe is modded with firebox grate, and convection plate, what other limitations would there be?

Doog
10-03-2015, 09:07 PM
A few folks have said these $500 stick burners are okay if you're aware of their "limitations". If the OK Joe is modded with firebox grate, and convection plate, what other limitations would there be?

The main one would be the thinner metal. Another would be air leaks. Both wiil cause fluctuation of temperatures.
I have a Longhorn it does put out good Q. You just you have to babysit it alot more.

Roguejim
10-03-2015, 09:53 PM
The main one would be the thinner metal. Another would be air leaks. Both wiil cause fluctuation of temperatures.
I have a Longhorn it does put out good Q. You just you have to babysit it alot more.

It looks like the leaks can be fixed with gasket material, no? Firebox and main chamber doors?

Deebo
10-03-2015, 10:54 PM
I think I see an Old Country Wrangler in my future next spring.

FireChief
10-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Old thread but glad to see it bumped up. Nothing wrong at all with any of these lower end pits. I cut my BBQ teeth on cheap pits, first stick burner was the Chargriller Duo with firebox before I moved way, way up on my Horizon. If you can learn fire control on a COS, running a heavy duty pit is a relative breeze. After I got my Horizon I got rid of everything else. Funny, after 4 years with just this pit I kinda went backwards 'cause I got a steal on a Chargiller Outlaw that I use just once in a while to quick grill stuff but it's actually a good size grill. Feels good to remember my "roots" and appreciate even more my big pit. Whatever you can afford, just get to cooking !!

Doog
10-04-2015, 08:37 AM
It looks like the leaks can be fixed with gasket material, no? Firebox and main chamber doors?
The main thing is to try and find one that has pretty good fit and go from there.
Yes it probably will need gasket on the doors. And the firebox sealed a little better. Also with the thin metal sometimes you get a little firebox sag.
The Longhorn makes some fine Q with just a little more effort.

SmittyJonz
12-16-2015, 02:53 PM

SmittyJonz
12-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Bump for Newbs.

SmittyJonz
01-08-2016, 01:29 PM
The Pecos and Wrangler are better choices because of large grate level exhaust and fully welded. The Pecos now has cook chamber door braces for better fit and to hold shape and a fully welded end cap design that strengthens the entire pit. The Wrangler being smaller and slightly heavier gauge did not require these upgrade. New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/2A1A85FD-8AA3-4B6B-AE5C-BA2B58603A7F_zps6squkyc1.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/2A1A85FD-8AA3-4B6B-AE5C-BA2B58603A7F_zps6squkyc1.jpg.html)

WhitesideJC
01-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Any idea if the new Pecos will hit nationwide around the same time, or mainly the Texas area?

SmittyJonz
01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Any idea if the new Pecos will hit nationwide around the same time, or mainly the Texas area?

It will all Academy(s) but I don't know how long. He ships them to Academy Dist Center.

cats49er
01-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Keep a check at Bass Pro Shop,Cabelas,and Gander Mountain around Raleigh and Cary.

SoCalWJS
01-08-2016, 06:45 PM
The Pecos and Wrangler are better choices because of large grate level exhaust and fully welded. The Pecos now has cook chamber door braces for better fit and to hold shape and a fully welded end cap design that strengthens the entire pit. The Wrangler being smaller and slightly heavier gauge did not require these upgrade. New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/2A1A85FD-8AA3-4B6B-AE5C-BA2B58603A7F_zps6squkyc1.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/2A1A85FD-8AA3-4B6B-AE5C-BA2B58603A7F_zps6squkyc1.jpg.html)

We have nothing even remotely like that around here that I know of. Wish there was a "Starter" off-set with an upright warming box of reasonable quality that I could take a look at (but I need another rig like I need the proverbial additional hole in the head. I think SWMBO would look at me sideways if I even brought it up)

(my OK Joe off set has just about given up the ghost and I have always wished for a slightly bigger main chamber as well as the upright section)

toad350
01-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Wrangler owners! Does anyone have a list of mods you have done? Dimensions, pictures and results. I have sealed mine with gasket tape and installed 3 tuning plates, 1/8 inch steel, cut 5x16. My problem is my hot spot is on the exhaust side even with the plates installed.

Any ideas? Thanks...

Joe Black
01-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Does Old Country still make the Brazos model? As I remember it was a full 1/4" and was about $1,000. If it is still offered at Academy or other big boxes, it would definitely fill the void between the cheap offsets and the low end customs.

This would be a great way to go for a newbie who wants a quality smoker at a reasonable price.

Twisted T's Q
01-10-2016, 07:38 PM
brazo model is still available ....

toad350
01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
They had them at academy for a grand when I got my wrangler last month.

SmittyJonz
01-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Yup.

Deebo
01-11-2016, 02:21 PM
New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

Does the new style Pecos still have the quality control issues? Since I'm in Wisconsin, there's a very slim chance that I'd be able to check one out in person before pulling the trigger so I'd be most likely ordering online.

SmittyJonz
01-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Does the new style Pecos still have the quality control issues? Since I'm in Wisconsin, there's a very slim chance that I'd be able to check one out in person before pulling the trigger so I'd be most likely ordering online.

QC should be better as he redesigned manufacturing process a bit with the upgrades. Owner also told me he got a QC guy instead of just shop supervisor. I saw over 100 Pecos at the warehouse last week and just glancing at them they all seemed to be pretty decent.

DaveAlvarado
01-11-2016, 03:00 PM
What's the difference between the old and new Pecos?

Deebo
01-11-2016, 03:14 PM
QC should be better as he redesigned manufacturing process a bit with the upgrades. Owner also told me he got a QC guy instead of just shop supervisor. I saw over 100 Pecos at the warehouse last week and just glancing at them they all seemed to be pretty decent.

Perfect!! Thanks for the inside scoop, Sir!!:clap2:

SmittyJonz
01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
What's the difference between the old and new Pecos?

Door bracing ( they had already started this) and new end caps on cook chamber. Before it was flat plate (fully) welded on and now it is a cap but goes inside the cook chamber 1" and spot welded then the outside is fully welded. It adds strength plus helps on production as pit won't get tweaked or twisted as easy. The whole smoker is more rigid and feels more solid.

So to tell if it's the new style you look at ends inside the cook chamber and if you see a 1" tab spot welded it's the new design. On the outside you can tell if they are side by side but otherwise would be hard to tell.

SmittyJonz
01-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Getcha One ( or two). :wink:

Thatgrimguy
01-18-2016, 09:57 PM
My first pit was an old country.

HeathBarkley
01-19-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm about a week away from buying an OC Wrangler. They just started carrying the Wrangler at my store last year. Of the ones left at the local store, only one was good enough to take home. Now you have me thinking I need to wait until the new ones come in. Were all the changes to just the Pecos or did they upgrade the Wrangler as well?

SmittyJonz
01-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Wrangler didn't need upgrades ( just QC and he has a new guy over that) as its smaller and heavier gauge. I like size of the Pecos better. I would make tuning plates for the Wrangler and either tuning plates or a convection plate for the Pecos.

MizzoQ
01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
using potatoes to hold the thermo probe...damn. I can't believe I never thought of that! hahaha I learn something new everyday here

HeathBarkley
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Wrangler didn't need upgrades ( just QC and he has a new guy over that) as its smaller and heavier gauge. I like size of the Pecos better. I would make tuning plates for the Wrangler and either tuning plates or a convection plate for the Pecos.

I guess I'll just have to ask when they expect the new ones to arrive. I just don't want to put it off too long or else the funds get diverted. Then again will they discount the old ones before the new ones arrive? Decisions, decisions. Thanks and congrats on your new baby.

SmittyJonz
01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
Go buy an Academy Gift Card to protect the $. :mrgreen:

marvda1
01-19-2016, 02:44 PM
using potatoes to hold the thermo probe...damn. I can't believe I never thought of that! hahaha I learn something new everyday here
or stick the probe through a ball of foil.

Baby Back Maniac
01-19-2016, 05:22 PM
SmittyJonz,
If you had to pick between the Pecos, Over/Under, or the new one you have, which would you recommend as far as the best bang for the buck? Thanks.

SmittyJonz
01-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Well Pecos is $399, O/U $499 and Smokehouse $699, so it's hard to say. I like all of them . I havnt cooked on the O/U but know several who have - esp BluDawg. I prefer Verticals so I'd say SmokeHouse but it's the most $. Pecos and O/U have about same capacity on the main grate but the O/U is gonna be more even on temps factory and has upper grate. The Pecos can get pretty even temps with convection plate and water pans. The O/U firebox can be used for grilling but not sure I'd ever do that. They will all 3 last about same time frame if treated equally, so it comes to your Budget really.

Bludawg
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna say something here that may ruffle a few feathers. I've cooked on a lot of offsets including the Cadillac of pits the Shirley Fab. My O/U cooks as good as the Shirley I cooked on at the Texas bash. It is the most even temped offset pit you can get for the $. The O/U is very easy to maintain temps the reason is the fire box size it's 2/3 the volume of the main so it breaths well. I have been preheating my splits in the box & not on it because there is plenty of room inside. It's a unique design in that the heat & smoke are channeled into the main up through a duct then turned down to the bottom of the main. The octagonal shape circulates it across the bottom up the front across the grates then out the stacks creating lots of convection. The smoke flavor produced is the cleanest I've tasted from an offset due to the draft that this pit has, it really moves the air. I'll never go back to a traditional offset again

SmittyJonz
01-19-2016, 09:10 PM
WOW.!. :shock: :mrgreen:

Edonis13
01-19-2016, 09:13 PM
That's some high praise right there.

Baby Back Maniac
01-20-2016, 11:03 AM
That's some high praise right there.

I agree. I'll be honest, it was the last one on my list but I'll take a second look at them.

SmittyJonz
01-26-2016, 02:02 PM

SmittyJonz
02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Well it seems Bludawgs endorsement has increased O/U Demand so much they added a $100 but still a great pit at $599. :mrgreen:

robert-r
02-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Well it seems Bludawgs endorsement has increased O/U Demand so much they added a $100 but still a great pit at $599. :mrgreen:

What's the quality control like on those O/Us?

Some of us don't have an Academy Sports close & would have to have the unit shipped. Wound not want to receive a defarkelty & have to deal with that.

Bludawg
02-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Mines as tight as a tick on a hawg

SmittyJonz
02-10-2016, 07:15 PM
What's the quality control like on those O/Us?

Some of us don't have an Academy Sports close & would have to have the unit shipped. Wound not want to receive a defarkelty & have to deal with that.

They have all looked pretty decent lately.

Twisted T's Q
02-11-2016, 10:50 PM
these pits charcoal only fuel type ? that's what it says on the academy web site....

Bludawg
02-11-2016, 11:20 PM
these pits charcoal only fuel type ? that's what it says on the academy web site....
The O/U is a RF stick burner

pjtexas1
02-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Mines as tight as a tick on a hawg

I can verify this. Saw it yesterday and didn't even realize blu had a fire in it until he opened it up.

SmittyJonz
02-27-2016, 02:44 PM
BooYa.

SmittyJonz
03-06-2016, 07:39 PM

SmittyJonz
03-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I did not put Ok Joe Highlander on this list because it's too small for my liking. The smaller ones don't draft as well and can be harder to use. The Wrangler is smaller than I like even, the Longhorn and Pecos are the smallest I like and they are perfect size for the backyard cook.

longhair75
03-06-2016, 08:12 PM
I did not put Ok Joe Highlander on this list because it's too small for my liking. The smaller ones don't draft as well and can be harder to use. The Wrangler is smaller than I like even, the Longhorn and Pecos are the smallest I like and they are perfect size for the backyard cook.

I agree, my friend. I am very happy with my Longhorn.

Roguejim
03-13-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna say something here that may ruffle a few feathers. I've cooked on a lot of offsets including the Cadillac of pits the Shirley Fab. My O/U cooks as good as the Shirley I cooked on at the Texas bash. It is the most even temped offset pit you can get for the $. The O/U is very easy to maintain temps the reason is the fire box size it's 2/3 the volume of the main so it breaths well. I have been preheating my splits in the box & not on it because there is plenty of room inside. It's a unique design in that the heat & smoke are channeled into the main up through a duct then turned down to the bottom of the main. The octagonal shape circulates it across the bottom up the front across the grates then out the stacks creating lots of convection. The smoke flavor produced is the cleanest I've tasted from an offset due to the draft that this pit has, it really moves the air. I'll never go back to a traditional offset again

I think I remember you saying you used to run your offsets with the exhaust wide open, and the fire box door, open. You would control temp by the size of the fire.

What's your method with the O/U? Door shut? Dampers wide open?

robert-r
03-13-2016, 04:09 PM

I REALLY LIKE my OK Joe Highlander. It works well, imho - however it's my first offset and can't compare it to anything else. It makes my best BBQ. I'm not planning to replace it.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1054_zpszjv8ahks.jpg

Richard_
03-13-2016, 06:56 PM
I REALLY LIKE my OK Joe Highlander. It works well, imho - however it's my first offset and can't compare it to anything else. It makes my best BBQ. I'm not planning to replace it.

Nice

SmittyJonz
03-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Bump

geoff7877
03-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Smitty, you're the man...

That is all.

SmittyJonz
10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Getcha One.......and Get to Smoking..........

Big Swole
10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I think I remember you saying you used to run your offsets with the exhaust wide open, and the fire box door, open. You would control temp by the size of the fire.

What's your method with the O/U? Door shut? Dampers wide open?

Bumping to see if this get's an answer.

The O/U seems legit. I had a chance to buy one when I got my Wrangler off CL.
Wondering if I should look for one and sell the wrangler.

Big Swole
10-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Smitty..... I think I've read on several occasions and other forums I think that the "Wrangler" was like a 20"-24" cook chamber pipe. I never thought that was right and I measured mine today. It's 26.5 Wide and a hair over 19" deep (pipe size).

Is the Pecos the same?? Just longer? (thinner metal obviously)

luke duke
10-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Here's my $500 pit.:-D

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155460

SmittyJonz
11-22-2016, 10:04 AM

rober
11-22-2016, 11:32 AM
i'm with bluedawg. the over & under smokers are THE ticket!! even heat, easy to regulate, & easy on fuel. I have an older heavy gauge OK Joe Longhorn, a Cajun bandit on a weber performer, & a good one open range over & under. the good one is now my go to smoker.

rwalters
11-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Love this thread... but now I am feeling guilty for my recent M1 Grill/Smoker purchase. Those Oklahoma Joe's sure do seem to be quite the bang-4-buck!! Don't take me wrong, I LOVE the way my M1 cooks... but you sure can buy a nice smoker for a whole lot less $$.

SmittyJonz
12-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Getcha One and Get to Smokin......

ChrisBarb
12-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Love this thread... but now I am feeling guilty for my recent M1 Grill/Smoker purchase. Those Oklahoma Joe's sure do seem to be quite the bang-4-buck!! Don't take me wrong, I LOVE the way my M1 cooks... but you sure can buy a nice smoker for a whole lot less $$.
Disagree. I have been tempted by the apparent bang for the buck with OKJ. But whenever I have seen one in the wild they are noticeably flimsily built out of thin materials. Keep in mind they are now owned/built by Charbroil.

rwalters
12-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Disagree. I have been tempted by the apparent bang for the buck with OKJ. But whenever I have seen one in the wild they are noticeably flimsily built out of thin materials. Keep in mind they are now owned/built by Charbroil.

Shouldn't have said I feel guilty...lol. I don't :-)

The M1 to me is worth the cost...built to last, and performs like a dream.

With that said, for someone wanting to get into smoking without breaking the bank... the OKJ do seem like a decent option...at least from a distance they do ;-)

Twisted T's Q
12-17-2016, 05:06 PM
I would take an OC over a OKJ any day of the week and twice on Sunday......

SmittyJonz
04-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Of course we must add the Costco Bayou Classic at $399-$499 (on sale).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244676

SmittyJonz
06-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Getcha One........,

robert-r
06-12-2017, 08:38 PM
... With that said, for someone wanting to get into smoking without breaking the bank... the OKJ do seem like a decent option...at least from a distance they do ;-)

Works for me! Ain't about to pony up six hundies or more.

SmittyJonz
06-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Jul 4, 2013 - YouTube

Neil
06-13-2017, 04:30 AM
Smoked 60#'s of pork butts this past Friday for my neighbor's graduation party on the OC O/U. Everyone raved over the pulled pork. Much easier to maintain even temps then with the O/U firebox.

SmittyJonz
08-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Ok Joe Bandera at $376........

SmittyJonz
04-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Wrangler went to Wrangler II - 14 guage But with a Price Drop to $299
Too Small for my liking tho.........

WHSmoke
04-25-2018, 02:55 PM
How will you compare the top three to the Old Country Smokehouse. Is it worth the additional $200.

SmittyJonz
04-25-2018, 03:32 PM
How will you compare the top three to the Old Country Smokehouse. Is it worth the additional $200.

I prefer the smokehouse but I prefer verticals . They are all 14 gauge but the smokehouse size shape and design it’s more stout/sturdy. My second choice would be the over and under because it has pretty even temps.
Pecos would be my third choice - I would run a convection plate in a Pecos.
Longhorn would be my fourth choice - it is pretty comparable to the Pecos size and cooking wise but it is bolt together.

SmittyJonz
04-25-2018, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ZJ9itaC-Y&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLY4fB9JERU&app=desktop

I’ve thought about making a video on the Smokehouse and putting on YouTube but mine is not the same as the store models - Mine is 3/16” 20”x20” while Store models are 14 gauge 24”x20”
and I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.

SmittyJonz
08-31-2018, 11:31 PM
GetChaOne.......

SmittyJonz
09-10-2018, 03:59 PM
GetChOne and Get to Smokin’.........

SmittyJonz
09-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Another Option.......

GetchaOne of These: I would take the grillin' grate in top of firebox and put it on top of the firegrate.......firebox is welded on, legs and exhaust bolt on. I would run a water pan where the Home Depot sack is in 2nd to last Pic. it has lower grates in the cook chamber to use for grilling- I'd take 2 out and leave one for the water pan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-36-in-Ranchers-XL-Charcoal-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-SC2263901-KF/301159840

https://i.imgur.com/6h70yhIl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h67qDjhl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mkQaAMBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1RgB9DSl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iQ0o1r8l.jpg

SmittyJonz
02-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Another Option.......

GetchaOne of These: I would take the grillin' grate in top of firebox and put it on top of the firegrate.......firebox is welded on, legs and exhaust bolt on. I would run a water pan where the Home Depot sack is in 2nd to last Pic. it has lower grates in the cook chamber to use for grilling- I'd take 2 out and leave one for the water pan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-36-in-Ranchers-XL-Charcoal-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-SC2263901-KF/301159840

https://i.imgur.com/6h70yhIl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h67qDjhl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mkQaAMBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1RgB9DSl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iQ0o1r8l.jpg

Looked at these a lil closer at HD today, fire box is Bolt On not Welded. They have a pretty decent fit n finish for a low mid grade pit.

Somebody get One and Report back to Us.......

Stingerhook
02-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Anybody in south Florida who wants one of these can pick it up for $75.00.
Paid $69.00 + tax at Wally World, time to get rid of it.
https://www.oklahomajoes.com/smokers/highland.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKbFPmYl50zBuvdSosRIqiSUJC16mHqfZ1d e3q8f7wMgZLQITR0_gLIaAhaDEALw_wcB

Ole Man Dan
02-15-2019, 12:55 AM

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg~original (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E3E6682E-F28C-4D43-A789-3AF496259259_zps0wdhj3ya.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg~original (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg.html)

A $500 rig will come close to cooking as well as you do.

2 years ago I built a stacked Open Pit, and smoked and grilled on it for a year.
That year taught me the importance of keeping an eye on the meat on the grill. It was generally about as good or as bad as you made it.
My impression from smoking in a pit for a year, is that I loved it.
I no longer have that pit, I tore it down. (Wife's request...) I would like to build another slightly larger, and under a shed like my last.

I have a buddy who is a very good BBQ man, and he makes some quality Q
on a Oklahoma Joe.
IT'S NOT THE PIT, IT'S THE PIT BOSS THAT PRODUCES GOOD 'Q'

SmittyJonz
03-09-2020, 10:06 PM
GetChaOne and get to Smokin'.......

SmittyJonz
03-09-2020, 10:16 PM

BluDawg lost his in a House fire a while back.......spends most his time over the road truck driving but says he'll get another someday........ :heh:

jdtTX
03-09-2020, 10:22 PM
5 years later and the Pecos is still the same price. Makes it an even better deal with inflation.

SmittyJonz
03-09-2020, 10:36 PM
5 years later and the Pecos is still the same price. Makes it an even better deal with inflation.

when steel prices jumped 1.5- 2 yrs Ago - tariffs n all - Everbody raised their Prices 15-20% - Alejandro refused to..... I told him 10-15% increase would be Easily Reasonable but he said " Nope - Average Working man ain't getting 10% raises." I've seen the some of the prices he gets from Academy - he Ain't getting Rich - he's Lives Comfortable but considers Himself an Average Working Man - He's a Good Dude......... :thumb:

Turkey Shack
03-10-2020, 06:12 AM
when steel prices jumped 1.5- 2 yrs Ago - tariffs n all - Everbody raised their Prices 15-20% - Alejandro refused to..... I told him 10-15% increase would be Easily Reasonable but he said " Nope - Average Working man ain't getting 10% raises." I've seen the some of the prices he gets from Academy - he Ain't getting Rich - he's Lives Comfortable but considers Himself an Average Working Man - He's a Good Dude......... :thumb:

Has there been any word on the gravity feed that Old Country was supposed to have at Academy? I've been keeping an eye out for them.

pjtexas1
03-10-2020, 06:31 AM
Has there been any word on the gravity feed that Old Country was supposed to have at Academy? I've been keeping an eye out for them.They are supposed to be in limited stores now. It looks like Academy will ship them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz
03-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Has there been any word on the gravity feed that Old Country was supposed to have at Academy? I've been keeping an eye out for them.

Academy did an initial order of 30 Units for a test Run - see if they Sell. 14 stores -

Update from Old Country : GetChaOne.!

This is the list of the Academy stores that will carry the first 30 GF smokers.

#009 UVALDE
#021 HUMBLE
#024 WACO
#031 TOMBALL
#032 WEBSTER
#039 N.W. MILITARY
#062 W. MONROE
#070 ABILENE
#114 KILLEEN
#115 ROSENBERG
#117 SPRINGFIELD
#141 N FT WORTH
#222 DENHAM SPRINGS
#239 CYPRESS

they Are on Academy's website Now........ https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-insulated-gravity-fed-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=8037502

I LOVE Mine...... :heh:

Turkey Shack
03-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Academy di an initial order of 30 Units for a test Run - see if they Sell. 14 stores -

Update from Old Country : GetChaOne.!

This is the list of the Academy stores that will carry the first 30 GF smokers.

#009 UVALDE
#021 HUMBLE
#024 WACO
#031 TOMBALL
#032 WEBSTER
#039 N.W. MILITARY
#062 W. MONROE
#070 ABILENE
#114 KILLEEN
#115 ROSENBERG
#117 SPRINGFIELD
#141 N FT WORTH
#222 DENHAM SPRINGS
#239 CYPRESS

they Are on Academy's website Now........ https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-insulated-gravity-fed-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=8037502

I LOVE Mine...... :heh:

Thanks for the link! It looks solid.

redchaserron
03-10-2020, 08:01 PM
I got 12-13 years of cooking out of an OK Joe Longhorn I had bought at Academy. I think they were slightly thicker then, than the current Longhorn or pecos, but still a moderate priced pit that made a hell of a lot of really good Barbecue. I got my upgrade second hand from FB Marketplace. If you're on a budget, don't be afraid to check the used market. I picked up a 210 gallon Franklin clone all 1/4 inch steel, except the inner of the double walled firebox. It's made out of pipe casing that's over an inch thick. Dude was asking $800 I offered $700 and he took it. Deals are out there if you watch and are patient.