PDA

View Full Version : 22 OTG grate tab broken?

Instagator
12-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Hey

Don't know how to properly describe it but the tab that holds the top grate appears to have losened on top so when a grate sits on top, It'll go behind the tab and slide down. Anybody have this issue before? (I already have a replacement bottom that I recieved from weber due to production issue (chips everywhere).

Doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, but was wondering what I can do to reattach it. I could possible drill a hole through it with a small ss bolt or something.

Thanks

peeps
12-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Contact Weber and get another replacement bowl, use broken one as fire pit.

Ol'Joe
12-11-2014, 07:52 AM
If the tab is just pulled away from the bowl, drill it and install small nut/bolt to pull it back, should work fine.

Friedturkeyspam
12-11-2014, 10:08 AM
If I get this right, the bottom you are having to problem with was a replacement one.

I've had those little spot welded tabs start to lean forward and have to do what the fellas above are suggesting, but that was on a ten year old grill. If the nearly new one is doing that already, I'd be tempted to ask for another replacement. Anytime you drill a hole through the porcelin coating of that kettle, it will rust though at the spot you put the small bolt through. The last 22.5" Weber I bought 15 years ago, had a dent in the lid, I didn't worry about it and went on with cooking on it for years. My youngest son has that grill now at his apartment, sitting outside in the parking lot, he thinks part of the reason it's not been stolen is the nice dent/rust design on the lid.

Your choice I guess,

Mike

Instagator
12-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Yeah thanks guys. I have replacement sitting in the basement when i first bought the unit so I'm all good with that. But I want to keep using this one untill its no longer usable =D. Why waste a good thing right hahaha.

Anyway, All Good, I'll see where the part failed - Maybe snap a picture of it.

1buckie
12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah, SS bolt & a small lock washer.....use blue painter's tape so the porcelain doesn't chip as much, spray the drilled area w/ hi-heat clear...........oil the bit & go slow to start, your kettle will last another 15 years.......

I currently have 33 of them & only one or two have even a bit of that problem........it's actually fairly rare............:grin: