PDA

View Full Version : Habaneros

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2006, 10:13 AM
A lady at work brought in 8 habs for me from her garden on Friday and said her husband said they were the hottest he's grown!

So my wife is getting tired of looking at them. Any suggestions on what I might use them for? I'm thinking of experimenting with cooking some sauces this weekend.

we'll smoke u
09-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey Jeff
Make Some Hab Jelly Man That Stuff Is Good On Crackers Or A Glaze For Ribs.

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Jeff
Make Some Hab Jelly Man That Stuff Is Good On Crackers Or A Glaze For Ribs.

Good idea... do you have a good recipe for it?

cmcadams
09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Mango and habs go well together, too. That might also make a nice rib glaze. It's also good on oysters (mango/hab salsa)

Q_Egg
09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
........ maybe a 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of good salsa ? The last time I ate a taco with a healthy shot of almst pure hab salsa, I couldn't breathe for a bit and was still burning when I walked out the door. Hey, I love hot salsa and eat it all the time, but .. Hab's .... only great respect.

Good luck!

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2006, 10:35 AM
I did a Google search and found this one. Looks good. My wife loves raspberries. What do y'all think?

Raspberry-Habanero Jelly
3 habañero peppers
2 sweet red peppers
1 sweet green pepper
6 ounces fresh red raspberries
2 1/4 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1 package Sure Jel Pectin
4 cups granulated sugar

Chop up the peppers in a processor until they are chopped up fine. Put all but 1/4 cup peppers in a saucepan with raspberries and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.

Press through a sieve or jelly bag. You should have 2 cups prepared juice. Return the juice to a cleaned pot. Add vinegar and reserved chopped peppers. Let cool 15 minutes.

Add pectin. Bring to a boil. Add sugar. Bring back to boil and boil hard for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, skim foam. Ladle into hot 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/8" headspace. Seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes*.

*recommended by the USDA

bbqjoe
09-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Just Make Sure You Don't "Jay Williams" Yourself!!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Jay Williams (politician) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Williams_%28politician%29) (born 1971), mayor of Youngstown, Ohio???

River City Smokehouse
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Jeff,
I made three batches just a couple of weeks ago. I only used 6 habs per batch and the heat was really comfortable. Most recipes call for Orange bells but I used red in place because someone told me the color would be nicer. They were right. It may saound wierd but this stuff is excellent on Peanut Butter. ~Jim

Habanero Jelly

3 Red bell peppers, large, fleshy (red peppers gives you better color in the end
5-10 chiles habaneros, ripe (original comment: "10 makes this stuff DEADLY")
1.5 C. vinegar, white, distilled
7 C. sugar
2 pkg liquid fruit pectin (Certo or equivalent)
***Process in sterile jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.

1. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes from bell peppers. Remove stems from habaneros (and seeds too, if you want to take the trouble, but if you do you run the risk of removing membranes, too, which will reduce hotness of the end product).
2. Put bell peppers, habaneros, and the vinegar in a blender and process until smooth.
3. Combine pepper-vinegar puree and all the sugar in a non-corrosive pan.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth into another pan. Add pectin and bring to a full rolling boil while stirring. Boil about one minute, remove from heat and ladle into sterile jars.
Yield: about 7 half-pint jars.

bbqjoe
09-03-2006, 10:50 AM
No, see thread " Burning member"

jpw23
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=2415)

Ron_L
09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
OK... You guys have inspired me! My wife just told me that we're going raspberry picking today since the rain is supposed to hold off until evening, so I'm going to make some raspberry-hab jelly tomorrow!

Thanks for the recipe, Jeff. If anyone has any others, you have until tomorrow morning to post them, or I'm going to try the one that Jeff found. :-D

Q_Egg
09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
.... My wife loves raspberries. What do y'all think?

Raspberry-Habanero Jelly
3 habaņero peppers
2 sweet red peppers
1 sweet green .................................

*recommended by the USDA -------------------------------------------------

I copied and stored this good-sounding recipe (w/lots of Ice Cream mod). When you've made it and had a big batch one evening, please post a note the next morning ... around 10:00 a.m. ... and add your latest thoughts? Would be much appreciated!

jpw23
09-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Just Make Sure You Don't "Jay Williams" Yourself!!!!!

And now it starts.......forever branded! Just glad I ain't told some of my more stupid antics!!:biggrin:

Kevin
09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the recipes guys. Just got back from the store with all of the ingredients to try a batch of both. Had to get my bride a bag of twizzlers for a bribe so she'll help me. She's the canning expert around here.

I will wear gloves. Don't want to JPW myself.

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Ahhh JPW... never mind! I remember now. Bet JPW does too! LOL!

we'll smoke u
09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Good idea... do you have a good recipe for it?

3- GREEN BELL PEPPER'S
10-12- HOT PEPPER'S OF YOUR CHOICE
2 PAKS- PECTIN LIQUID
7 CUPS- SUGAR
11/2 CUPS- CIDERVINEGAR

1. DESEED AND STEM THE BELL PEPPER'S AND HOT PEPPER'S.

2. CUT INTO CHUNKS.

3. PUT INTO BLENDER WITH 11/2 CUPS OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND
PUREE SMOOTH.

4. TAKE PUREED PEPPER'S AND ALL OF THE SUGAR, PUT INTO A SUACE
PAN AND BRING TO A BOIL WHILE STIRRING THE WHOLE TIME. ONCE
YOU BRING TO A BOIL REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER FOR FIVE MINUTES.

5. ADD TWO PACKETS OF PECTIN LIQUID AND BRING BACK UP TO A BOIL
FOR ONE MINUTE THEN PULL PAN OFF OF THE HEAT.

6. WHILE IT IS STILL HOT POUR INTO SMALLER CANNING JAR'S, PUT
THE LID'S ON TIGHT AND TURN UP SIDE DOWN SO THE JAR'S WILL
SEAL AND LET COOL ON COUNTER.

PS. THE PECTIN COMES IN A BOX OF TWO PACKAGES YOU ONLY
NEED ONE BOX FOR THIS RECIPE.

HOPE I EXPLAINED THIS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND IT I'AM BAD AT THIS KINDA THING.

LET ME KNOW IF IT TURNS OUT FOR YA.

Mark
09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I just used habs when I made it. No more. Diabetes mod.

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
I just finished canning the stuff. No accidental boil overs or anything. It looks really good and the flavor was a great blend of heat and sweet. The sealed jars are sucking in the lids as I type. Looking forward to opening the first jar and pouring over cream cheese. I'll plan on bringing a jar to the bash! :-D

Arlin_MacRae
09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Jeff, if you have any left I'd recommend slivering one and putting it inside some big farking olives stuffed with cream cheese. Quite tasty!

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Jeff, if you have any left I'd recommend slivering one and putting it inside some big farking olives stuffed with cream cheese. Quite tasty!

If it hides the taste of olives, I'm all for it.

Arlin_MacRae
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Lol!

Ron_L
09-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I just finished canning the stuff. No accidental boil overs or anything. It looks really good and the flavor was a great blend of heat and sweet. The sealed jars are sucking in the lids as I type. Looking forward to opening the first jar and pouring over cream cheese. I'll plan on bringing a jar to the bash! :-D

Which recipe did you use, Jeff? I just finished canning the Raspberry-Hab jelly. 6 half-pint jars, all looking good! I'll bring some to the bash, too.

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Which recipe did you use, Jeff? I just finished canning the Raspberry-Hab jelly. 6 half-pint jars, all looking good! I'll bring some to the bash, too.

Ron, I ended up using the one I posted. Can't wait to compare and see if they turned out similar. I doubled the recipe and got ten 1/2 pint jars. Gave one to HoDeDo and will probably give one to the lady at work who brought the habs in to me.

HoDeDo
09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Ron, I ended up using the one I posted. Can't wait to compare and see if they turned out similar. I doubled the recipe and got ten 1/2 pint jars. Gave one to HoDeDo and will probably give one to the lady at work who brought the habs in to me.

I'm looking forward to breaking it out the next time we entertain. Give all those Jap-mint lovers some REAL jelly :mrgreen:. Jalepeno Mint, meet Rasberry-Habby!!!! IT looks GREAT.

chad
09-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't inhale while puree'ing or juicing the habs!!! My wife has to leave the house when I'm making hab jelly and sometimes when I'm working on the jalapeno jelly, too.

Qczar
09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
A lady at work brought in 8 habs for me from her garden on Friday and said her husband said they were the hottest he's grown!

So my wife is getting tired of looking at them. Any suggestions on what I might use them for? I'm thinking of experimenting with cooking some sauces this weekend.

I always keep a couple of plastic bags of smoked japs and habs in my freezer. Especially this time of year when hot peppers are all maturing and in abundance. I use them throughout the year in anything from salsa, burgers, sauces. Can add nice hot/smoked flavor to anything.

Ron_L
09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I couldn't resist those jars of raspberry-hab jelly sitting on the kitchen counter so I popped one open this morning. There was some liquid that hadn't jelled, but under than was a clear red jelly that smelled great! I heated up a couple of fatty slices, put them on a warm biscuit, and plopped on a generous teaspoon of the jelly. It's very good stuff! It's sweet, you can taste the raspberries, and has a nice heat level. Not too hot and not too mild.

chad
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Here's a link to a pepper jelly recipe I use...I got it from my aunt and it turns out very consistently.

I now use a small juicer to get the pepper juice rather than blending. I think I get more flavor juicing. However, the fumes from the hot peppers can really affect some folks. My wife leaves the house when I'm doing the hot peppers.

Here's the link from our forum's recipe pages - it's pretty close to Scott's (we'll smoke u) recipe.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=154&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20SAUCES,%20RUBS,%20MARIN ADES*

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
I couldn't resist those jars of raspberry-hab jelly sitting on the kitchen counter so I popped one open this morning. There was some liquid that hadn't jelled, but under than was a clear red jelly that smelled great! I heated up a couple of fatty slices, put them on a warm biscuit, and plopped on a generous teaspoon of the jelly. It's very good stuff! It's sweet, you can taste the raspberries, and has a nice heat level. Not too hot and not too mild.

Dang it, Ron, now I'm going to have a difficult time waiting until Friday at the contest to open a jar! Spread on a fatty sounds fantastic!

Gonna have to ask for more habs! LOL!

ique
09-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Jelly is good, I like to make a Hab Mash. Whenever I need bit of heat in a pot of beans or whatever just whack it with a tablespoon or so of this....

Hab Mash

* 12 habanero peppers, stems removed, finley chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup chopped carrots
* 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
* 1/4 cup lime juice

Saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft. Place the mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for 5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

Jorge
09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking a little of this could make my guacamole pretty unique:lol: Thanks for sharing.

Jelly is good, I like to make a Hab Mash. Whenever I need bit of heat in a pot of beans or whatever just whack it with a tablespoon or so of this....

Hab Mash

* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup lime juice

Saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft. Place the mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for 5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

Kevin
09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Here's a link to a pepper jelly recipe I use...I got it from my aunt and it turns out very consistently.

I now use a small juicer to get the pepper juice rather than blending. I think I get more flavor juicing. However, the fumes from the hot peppers can really affect some folks. My wife leaves the house when I'm doing the hot peppers.

Here's the link from our forum's recipe pages - it's pretty close to Scott's (we'll smoke u) recipe.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=154&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20SAUCES,%20RUBS,%20MARIN ADES*

Dave, I looked long and hard. I could not find an amount for the vinegar. I've got a batch going (4th batch of pepper jelly this week) and your's was very similar to one I had. That one listed 1 cup of cider vinegar. If you have a better plan, please post it.

And the juicer plan is cool. You are my hero!

chad
09-06-2006, 06:29 PM
sorry...somewhere along the line a type (dropped line) found it's way into the recipe.

The original recipe:

3/4 cups bell pepper juice

1/4 cup hot pepper juice (I used jalapeno for a long time - still do come to think of it but habanero works...it's just a LOT more intense)

6 cups sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

6 oz. of Certo pectin (one 6 oz. bottle or 2 - 3oz foil packs)

1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar

food coloring (really very optional)

Put the juice, vinegar, sugar, and salt into a pan and bring to a hard boil, stirring constantly, for one minute. Take off the heat for 10 minutes. Stir in Certo and food coloring and let stand for 10 more minutes. Skim off the foam. Pour into sterilized canning jars (I use 1/2 pint jars with seals and lids).

That's it - tastes real good with cheddar cheese and crackers!!

I've got a couple of juicers I picked up at thrift shops - one is about 1 cup capacity and has the spinning cone-shaped shredder screen - I think I paid about $3 for it.

Dave, I looked long and hard. I could not find an amount for the vinegar. I've got a batch going (4th batch of pepper jelly this week) and your's was very similar to one I had. That one listed 1 cup of cider vinegar. If you have a better plan, please post it.

And the juicer plan is cool. You are my hero!

Kevin
09-10-2006, 05:45 AM

Hab Mash

* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup lime juice

This looks great. Cold and rainy here today so I'll be doing this. I think I'll go get some 4 oz. canning jars for it though. Looks kind of intense.

Cooked up and canned hab/rhubarb jam yesterday. Opened a jar and spread some on crackers to go with beer last night. Manama! Good stuff, sweet and HOT!

Edit; I put the hab/rhubarb jam in the cookbook. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=1157887646&category=Jams%20and%20Jellies

motley que
09-10-2006, 08:29 AM
i am making pinapple hab jelly today, will post pics later.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
My jelly was a huge hit on Friday night at the contest! Turned out great! And I imagine it really would be good on a fatty/biscuit!

rbinms33
09-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Jeff.....next time you make a couple of slabs of ribs for dinner, try brushing some of the jelly on a couple of hours before you take the ribs off. The heat will cook out of it and it leaves the habanero flavor on the meat. Good stuff.

I used to follow the recipe exactly to make my jelly but it was real thick and hard to spread on cream cheese and the ribs. I now use a little bit more bell pepper liquid to make it a more liquidy.

fivelombardis
09-12-2006, 08:08 PM

strip the paint off the walls of your house!! that stuff is wicked!

Mark
09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
strip the paint off the walls of your house!! that stuff is wicked!

see how many plants her husband is growing and if there's enough, propose a deal to smoke-dry a batch and split the result.

fivelombardis
09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
see how many plants her husband is growing and if there's enough, propose a deal to smoke-dry a batch and split the result.

chit mark...i learned my lesson with habs...not me, uh-uh.

motley que
09-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Here is what i used, it came from Certo's website. I added 6 habs to it, perfect blend of sweet and heat

3 cups prepared juice (buy 2 medium fully ripe pineapples)

6-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

2 pouches CERTO Fruit Pectin

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.

PARE and finely chop or grind pineapples. Place three layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 3 cups juice into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot.

STIR sugar into juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 min. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Mark
09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Here is what i used, it came from Certo's website. I added 6 habs to it, perfect blend of sweet and heat

3 cups prepared juice (buy 2 medium fully ripe pineapples)

6-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

2 pouches CERTO Fruit Pectin

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.

PARE and finely chop or grind pineapples. Place three layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 3 cups juice into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot.

STIR sugar into juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 min. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Sounds good. Now Fedex overnight a few jars to Greg's.

Jorge
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks again. I'm about to pull a pot of Red off the stove to take with me this weekend. That Hab Mash is just what it needed to put it over the top. Just hope the deer don't hear/smell me coming:shock:

Hab Mash

* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup lime juice

Bill-Chicago
11-03-2006, 12:56 PM
The stems are removed, but is it seeded and deveined?

Kevin
09-21-2007, 03:23 PM
And now it starts.......forever branded! Just glad I ain't told some of my more stupid antics!!:biggrin:

Man, what could possibly happen in a year?

iceboxbbq
09-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Abt's

Beerwolf
09-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I hate to mention the obvious... but ya never know... if you are man enough to slice these things bare handed... there are certain parts of the male anatomy you dont want to touch without washing your hands 4 or 5 times..... Dont ask me how I know... just trust me on this one....

On another note, a buddy's wife handled her contacts without washing her hands ... 6 months of visits to the opthamologist... funny thing is this gal can eat a bowl of them like prunes

Jeff_in_KC
09-22-2007, 10:01 PM
This thread being ressurected reminded me that I still had a jar of this raspberry-hab jelly up in the cabinet. The lid is still sealed and so after a year, I'm assuming it's still good?

River City Smokehouse
09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Yep!

rbinms33
09-23-2007, 12:29 AM
This thread being ressurected reminded me that I still had a jar of this raspberry-hab jelly up in the cabinet. The lid is still sealed and so after a year, I'm assuming it's still good?

I'd think it is as long as the lid hasn't popped up on it. Man, I'm still eating pickled jalapeno's from '04. And those jars of jelly I posted earlier in this post?.....Still got one of them left too.

rbinms33
09-23-2007, 12:34 AM
I hate to mention the obvious... but ya never know... if you are man enough to slice these things bare handed... there are certain parts of the male anatomy you dont want to touch without washing your hands 4 or 5 times..... Dont ask me how I know... just trust me on this one....

On another note, a buddy's wife handled her contacts without washing her hands ... 6 months of visits to the opthamologist... funny thing is this gal can eat a bowl of them like prunes

The habanero's I have this year, just slicing and deseeding them is burning my throat. I actually have to give my wife and little girl advance notice of when I'm making jelly so they can leave the house. It messes them up bad almost to the point where they can't breathe.

As far as handling them (or Jalapenos), I wear contacts and know to wear gloves when handling them or suffer the consequences. Consequences = eyelid snapping shut and ruining a perfectly good pair of contacts. My wife won't let me anywhere near her after I've been messing with them either. Habaneros can wreak havoc on sensitive areas.

River City Smokehouse
09-23-2007, 09:37 AM
I made up a batch of salsa a few weeks ago that has habaneros in it. I also cut some in half and let the heat cook out of them to get into the salsa. I forgot to take out the half habs and later dipped a spoon into the salsa to taste it. Well in the spoon of salsa was also a half of a hab. Yep....I ate it along with the bite of salsa.

All I can say is I have been cartarized from my lips to my butthole.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_4.gif