PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on a good Electric Knife Sharpner

Happy Hapgood
12-07-2014, 04:23 PM
I have some nice J. A. Henckles knifes. They are to the point after 3 years that they need sharpening. I know electric sharpeners are not the best option but I just want to be able to pull a knife through afew times to get it sharp.

Does anyone know of a good brand that will do a good job on the blade without pitting the metal etc?

Thanks!

Ol'Joe
12-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Amazon, Chef's Choice 130 professional works for me

jakel
12-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Wish I could help, but I don't have one However I know the Chefs Choice Pro series are highly regarded..... Been thinking of one myself.

landarc
12-07-2014, 04:38 PM
:sad:

From Cabela's, the Worksharp, actually works very well, and is a powertool and not a knife destroyer

mchar69
12-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I gave away my last elec sharpener, went back to the Arkansas stone.
The only decent elec one I've seen is a clients' dads' from long ago -
it's a V shaped wheel that sharpens real good -
Got the Lansky system but have yet to use it..

Whitewookie
12-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm no expert by any stretch, but my advice is don't bother with an electric. I blew a wad on a shun electric after running the gamut on various sharpening systems. I was disappointed with the electric... Way to easy to ruin a good blade.

I too have a set of Henckels four star. What I came back to after trying everything else is my 30 year old Remington Tri-Hone. Three stones (course, medium, fine Arkansas stone) mounted to a triangular block of wood on a wooden stand. About twice a year I spend an afternoon sippin' beers, watching TV, and sharpening my good cookin' knives.

In between I have a diamond steel in my knife block and I just hit it a few strokes each time I use a knife.

For my EDC pocket knives and other small knives, I use a Lansky system.

Seriously, after spending a bunch of money and time on gadgets and gee-gaws, I ended up back with the basics.

There really are no quick and easy shortcuts when it comes to sharpening knives.

VR,
Harold

Happy Hapgood
12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input Guys. My Wife just ordered the 130 for Christmas. I too have many Arkansas stones and hand sharpened knifes for years. Now I'm too lazy to mess with it.

Smoke Dawg
12-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Love that ornament Toast!

Happy Hapgood
12-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Love that ornament Toast!

Yours is looking good too! :becky:

ButtBurner
12-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I have Chefs Choice and its just fine for everyday sharpening

I also have a Lansky

retired trucker
12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
If you are going to use an electric sharpener that will do an excellent job without destroying your expensive knives, then get the Worksharp Ken Onion. You can get them from Amazon, and Cabela's. It is a miniature belt sander with angle guides and attachments. It will do an excellent job on kitchen knives and hunting knives. It does have a learning curve to get really good results from it, but you can get some cheap knives from a thrift store for around $1 each to use to learn it. I recommend doing this before sharpening your good knives on it. Once you grind away metal, it ain't going back on no matter how much you want it to. :becky: I have one of the original ones, but the Ken Onion model is much improved, though more expensive.

Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zHVsFiTSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41zHVsFiTSL

Blessings,

Omar

mikemci
12-07-2014, 08:55 PM
What oldbill said. If you just have to have an electric and have decided to get a worksharp, get the Ken Onion edition. You can set different angles on it, not the standard worksharp. It is also available at Northern Tools.

Wickedcajun
12-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I also vote Ken onion worksharp

Pitbull
12-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Yep, I agree with the Chefs Choice, if you don't do it by hand. I have one and works well for everyday sharpening. Use it on my Henckels. It did put a scratch on the side of one of my blades. Don't know how it did it, but it's never done it again.

Oak-n-hickory
12-08-2014, 12:37 PM
I do almost all of my sharpening by hand on Norton water stones, but when some power is needed, it's hard to beat a Tormek with the full kit of jigs.

dadsr4
12-08-2014, 12:44 PM
If a knife is in bad enough shape that stones don't work for me, and the knife is not worth sending out to be sharpened professionally, I use light passes on my belt sander using worn-out belts and clamped upside down. It's worked on our cheap knives for 35 years. Frequently, a quick steeling is all that is needed afterwards.

Cibelo
12-08-2014, 12:50 PM
I use a Chefs Choice 130 Pro on my J. A. Henckles Twin 5 Star knives and it works very well.

PaSmoker
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Amazon, Chef's Choice 130 professional works for me

I use a Chefs Choice 130 Pro on my J. A. Henckles Twin 5 Star knives and it works very well.

have had mine for years with great results on Wushtoff classics...just had it out for the "annual pre-thanksgiving" sharpening! :thumb:

jaestar
12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
The Chefs Choice 1520 is great if you have both standard and Asian style knives.

SmokinAussie
12-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Let us know when you go back to sharpening by hand...

Whitewookie
12-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Let us know when you go back to sharpening by hand...

Just sayin'....

Happy Hapgood
12-08-2014, 06:42 PM
<sniff> Now I feel terrible <sniff>

mchar69
12-08-2014, 06:55 PM
My question is:
why are Factory knives so sharp, and I cannot replicate that?

Thermal Mass
12-08-2014, 09:29 PM
No sweat Toast, you'll love the 130!

BBQchef33
12-08-2014, 10:33 PM
i use the 130 also.. does good work, but at least once a year, they go to a pro to be done by hand.

kvnwhite
12-08-2014, 11:01 PM
I use manual sharpening system by EdgePro on all my knives and I can get them as sharp as factory. Have never found an electric sharpener that works for any length of time

dadsr4
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
I use manual sharpening system by EdgePro on all my knives and I can get them as sharp as factory. Have never found an electric sharpener that works for any length of time
My belt sander is over 30 years old.

retired trucker
12-09-2014, 12:24 AM
For the price of the Edge Pro, you can buy new knives every 6 months and save money. Not blasting it as a sharpening system, but a little pricey for sharpening the average kitchen knife. If you are a knife nut and collect expensive knives, then you might justify it.

Blessings,

Omar

SmokinAussie
12-09-2014, 04:36 AM
My question is:
why are Factory knives so sharp, and I cannot replicate that?

Because serious sharpeners are several thousand dollars just to start with. They are not a "home" option. Coming out of the print industry, I had my guillotine knives sharpened by the only company in Melbourne that does it.

Only one time, did I take my knifes to another sharpening service and it was a disaster. I had to replace the knives because this commercial service ruined them completely. Taking them back to the "proper" service, they showed me their equipment and showed me why the other service ruined my knives.

Now, we are not dealing with guillotines here, but the same rules apply. A home unit, or even a mobile sharpening service can't ever give you an out of the factory sharpness. More often than not, such units or services will damage your knives if extreme care is not taken.

That's why you are better off with a whetstone and a steel. In that respect, you can do no harm, especially if you have some serious knives.

Cheers!

Bill

Untraceable
12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
You can say the edge pro is pricey, but once you get used to sharp, good luck going back.

retired trucker
12-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I sharpen knives as a retirement/part time job, and If I couldn't get a knife as sharp as it was when new, then I wouldn't even try. Most new, just out of the box knives are far from sharp. ( With the exception of some high end Japanese knives ) My knife sharpening equipment ( other than my experience and practice over 40 plus years ) cost me less than $100. With this equipment I can get a knife with some good steel make up, much sharper than it was when new.

Most factory made knives are sharpened on an assembly line, and they are not sharpened to their potential or at an optimum blade angle. They are normally sharpened at an average user angle, which is usually too obtuse for a serious user. They will cut, but not as well as they can with proper sharpening.

All this said to explain why you don't need to spend $600 on a knife sharpener for your kitchen knives. YMMV of course.

Blessings,

Omar

meinbmw
12-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Worksharp is a GREAT device ... using a variety of grits is the key.

55Drum
12-09-2014, 11:03 AM
If you are going to use an electric sharpener that will do an excellent job without destroying your expensive knives, then get the Worksharp Ken Onion.

I use this as well.....

pigville porkers
12-09-2014, 01:55 PM
If you are going to use an electric sharpener that will do an excellent job without destroying your expensive knives, then get the Worksharp Ken Onion. You can get them from Amazon, and Cabela's. It is a miniature belt sander with angle guides and attachments. It will do an excellent job on kitchen knives and hunting knives. It does have a learning curve to get really good results from it, but you can get some cheap knives from a thrift store for around $1 each to use to learn it. I recommend doing this before sharpening your good knives on it. Once you grind away metal, it ain't going back on no matter how much you want it to. :becky: I have one of the original ones, but the Ken Onion model is much improved, though more expensive.

Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Sharpener-Edition/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417992563&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=work+sharp+ken+onion)

Blessings,

Omar

Yup I have one of these and love it.