PDA

View Full Version : Royal Oak - dirty smell

bbqmike_ny
12-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Is it common to get a batch batch of royal oak? My first fire had an off smell, I looked here and some said to look for bad pieces with bark still attached, which I hadn't. I checked each piece before I loaded the chimney they looked normal. When the chimney was fired up, I didn't notice anything, then I added 2 chunks of hickory and dumped it in the OTG, and as soon as the smoke started, the nasty smell was there again. I removed the 2 chunks thinking it could be them, and added a piece of pecan from a bag I used all summer, but same deal.

I imagine I could still use it for steaks since they cook so quick/hot?

DriverWild
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Never had that happen myself with RO but has happened several times when I bought a large load of Cowboy. They used plastic twine to bundle the wood, got rid of it all and won't buy again. Hopefully this isn't the case with RO.

NeilH
12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Never had that happen myself with RO but has happened several times when I bought a large load of Cowboy. They used plastic twine to bundle the wood, got rid of it all and won't buy again. Hopefully this isn't the case with RO.
Noticed this with the one and only time I've tried Cowboy also. The smell was awful and needed a fire suit to get near it.

tbam
12-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I have used Royal Oak for 3 years and never noticed anything like this. I have switched from the lump charcoal to the briquettes since I bought my bx50 but still no bad smells

Barefoot BBQ
12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm averaging one rock, yep ROCK per bag lately. Funny finding those fist sized lumps when I empty out the ash pan.

Jason TQ
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Never had a bad smell from Royal Oak, but do get the occasional rock :-D. Though I find that in about every brand of lump I've tried. Recently been giving Frontier a whirl too since Sam's carries it and it is a little better priced than RO.

toymaster
12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Just got a rock in my last bag of Royal Oak. Averaging a rock every 4th bag now. About every 6th or 7th bag I get I a very large, unburned piece of wood also. Never had a bad smell from any Royal Oak.

ArnieTex
12-01-2014, 06:31 PM
I get the rocks often too lol, as far as smell just set your air inlet and exhaust and let it settle in a little while like 15 to 20 minutes, should be fine, might be the barks as RO includes that in their lump bags.

Wolverine
12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Yep I get the rocks also. Sometimes an off smell but nothing to worry about keep tie outlets open and let it settle in. However,,, if we pay per pound as the bag is sold by weight, and RO puts in a rock or two and they sell millions of bags, I have to think that really adds up to a lot of unaccounted for savings to put it lightly. Lol.

swamprb
12-03-2014, 05:54 AM
Royal Oak is the lump of choice on the Big Green Egg Qer's Facebook page.

just sayin'

lantern
12-03-2014, 07:25 AM
I've run into that a couple times with RO, but nothing compared to old sparky(cowboy) and Frontier.

No matter what kind I'm using(RO preferred) if there's an off smell I won't add the flavor wood and certainly not the meat until it settles in and smells right. If your nose isn't happy, your tongue won't be either.