PDA

View Full Version : Jerky on smoker

Pappy Q
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Looking for tips on how to make jerky on smoker as I've only done with a dehydrator.

Smoke Dawg
11-29-2014, 02:33 PM
I did this earlier in the week

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201260

IamMadMan
11-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Making Jerky is really easy and you don't need a dehydrator to make great jerky, a low temp in the smoker is all that you need, that way you get smoked meat flavor without having to use the dreadful liquid smoke. The cure (Morton Tender Quick) is important to prevent food borne illnesses.

If you have never made jerky before, I would suggest buying a jerky kit from The Sausage Maker. or a Hi Mountain kit available through most sporting goods stores. These have the seasoning and the cure in proper proportions and are almost fool-proof for the beginner. This will let you safely learn the basics as you order in the components to make it yourself the next time.

Use lean meat and remove all fat. fat can cause rancidity even when cured. I use a whole eye of round beef roast, trim of what little fat is there and run it through the deli slicer (or by hand). Marinate and cure overnight then lay on racks to dry until tacky. I smoke for 2 hours with cold smoke then raise the smoker to 110 until it is dry.

The finished product should not be stiff but not break when folded in half. When folding it should create a distinct white line where it was folded without breaking in half

Mild Jerky
This recipe is for 5 pounds venison / beef.

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of Tender Quick®

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison / beef.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

=======================================

Cracked Black Pepper Jerky
cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoons of seasoned salt
3 tablespoons of fine grind black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick® curing mix

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.
Season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired before smoking.
Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

Hot and Sweet Jerky
makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison / beef.

1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.

Honey Barbecue Jerky

2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 cup Barbecue sauce

MossyMO
12-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Excellent flavor jerky seasonings with many unique flavors that come with the cure and directions/suggestions for ground or whole muscle jerky using a dehydrator, oven or smoker. Directions/suggestions are also available to download at the website.
www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html (http://www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html)
- Original
- Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic
- Honey BBQ
- Teriyaki
- Hickory
- Mesquite
- Sweet & Spicy
- Maple Jalapeno

Smokinitup
12-06-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm not sure what kind of smokers you have but I use my RecTec set at 180(lowest temp) for 3 hours give or take a few minutes. I believe most dehydrators go up to 165 for the jerky setting. I personally do not use any kind of cure and have never gotten sick nor anyone I've given it to. I can post my recipe later if you would like to give it a try.

Bbq_lover
12-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I've prefer to smoke jerky at the lowest temp possible. I really would like to cold smoke jerky then I would finish in a dehydrator. I don't like to dry it to quickly, since the heat for me changes the texture a little so I dont't use the 160 setting.the marinade should cure your meat so there shouldn't be a danger of spoilage.

okie smoker
12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I've done a couple batches this year on my stick burner. I marinate the meat for 24-36 hours with the following, per pound of meat:

1 bottle worcestershire
1/4 cup brown sugar
Splash or up to 1/4 cup soy sauce
Minced garlic (optional)

After removing from marinade, add pepper to the meat and hot sauce if you want it spicy. Cook on the smoker at low temp 160-200 until properly dried.

I don't do a cure with my recipe and I store it in the fridge. A one pound batch is usually gone around our house within a few days.

newtwoq
12-09-2014, 02:46 PM
What's the ratio comparison of Tender Quick vs InstaCure? How do you sub in recipes between the two?