PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Chicken Recipe

SmittyJonz
11-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Any of Yall do a Good Pulled Chicken? Details?

THoey1963
11-29-2014, 04:16 AM
Smitty, you mean something to do with it once you cook / pull it or a way to cook it so you can pull it?

Grain Belt
11-29-2014, 07:34 AM
I like to smoke chicken thighs or quarters until the fat is well rendered and skin is crisp. I then take the meat off the bone and pull/cut it into about 1x2 inch pieces. I add back some thinly sliced skin for a little extra flavor. I then put a little rub with the meat and then coat with my favorite BBQ sauce taking care not to make the meat overly stringy. I usually serve it out of a crock pot to keep a good warm temp. I serve on sesame seed buns with a little extra sauce on the side if folks want it. It is an excellent party option as an alternative to pulled pork if your time is strained.

robbq
11-30-2014, 12:22 AM
I do it sometimes. I just smoke a whole chicken till it is done, then shred it. I agree with the above comment, I add BBQ sauce so it isn't dry. I don't add BBQ sauce to pulled pork, it doesn't need it. I like pork a lot better but people seem to really like the chicken.

landarc
11-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Here is what I do.

1. I use whole chickens, I feel the end product has a better texture. I dry brine the birds for at least 12 hours. You can go 24 with no problem. You can use any rub recipe you want, but, 1-1/2 to 2 times the salt.

2. I truss the chickens, I never spatchcock chickens, but, especially for this. Truss em up good and tight. If you have a rotisserie, damn you! I mean, lucky you, spit them up. If not, put them on racks, breast side down. There should be a pan underneath the chickens, with 2 cups of water and some aromatics in them.

3. The UDS will be running around 250°F or so, which is way cooler than I normally cook chickens, but, since I am pulling them, the skin doesn't matter. Yet. Cook the chickens until you reach 175°F in the thigh.

4. Remove from cooker, rest for 15 minutes, untruss and split off legs and wings, they should pull easily. If not, something went wrong, as at 175°F internal in the thigh, it should easily pull. Meanwhile, strain the liquid in the pan that was under the chickens, into a fat separator.

5. Remove the skin, set aside, remove the meat and shred. I prefer chunky pulled chicken, the stuff that is shredded to strings gets hard and tastes bad, get's really dry. Add in about a 50/50 mix of the liquid and fat to the chicken. I actually don't add sauce, preferring to add the chicken broth and fat to the chicken. Sauce can be added at serving time, or by the eaters.

landarc
11-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Oh, and those chicken skins, I let them cool and dry. They are a little spongy/rubbery, but, a quick dip in some 350°F oil in the wok, and they get nice and crispy, a little salt and black pepper and then top that back onto the chicken as cracklins, or do what I do, and eat it, then feel guilty.

My usual rub looks something like this:
3 parts Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy
3 parts Landarc Santa Maria Rub
1 part Kosher salt (always Redmond RealSalt here)

J-Rod
11-30-2014, 10:54 AM
I like to roast whole birds, or parts like leg quarters if it's all I got, to pull for chicken pasties or pot pies. I usually hit em with spog and then tuck fresh rosemary sprigs around the bird and roast at high heat 400f. I don't like gooey tough dark meat so I make sure it renders down nice before pulling. Let it cool to handle, pull that tasty meat and eat the skins as cracklins. Makes a great pot pie or pasty.

tbam
11-30-2014, 11:51 AM
I do it sometimes. I just smoke a whole chicken till it is done, then shred it. I agree with the above comment, I add BBQ sauce so it isn't dry. I don't add BBQ sauce to pulled pork, it doesn't need it. I like pork a lot better but people seem to really like the chicken.

Exactly this. Whole chickens and just pull the meat adding a little bit of bbq. I also prefer pork but this is a much faster option.