PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Chicken Recipe

SmittyJonz
11-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Any of Yall do a Good Pulled Chicken? Details?

THoey1963
11-29-2014, 05:16 AM
Smitty, you mean something to do with it once you cook / pull it or a way to cook it so you can pull it?

Grain Belt
11-29-2014, 08:34 AM
I like to smoke chicken thighs or quarters until the fat is well rendered and skin is crisp. I then take the meat off the bone and pull/cut it into about 1x2 inch pieces. I add back some thinly sliced skin for a little extra flavor. I then put a little rub with the meat and then coat with my favorite BBQ sauce taking care not to make the meat overly stringy. I usually serve it out of a crock pot to keep a good warm temp. I serve on sesame seed buns with a little extra sauce on the side if folks want it. It is an excellent party option as an alternative to pulled pork if your time is strained.

robbq
11-30-2014, 01:22 AM
I do it sometimes. I just smoke a whole chicken till it is done, then shred it. I agree with the above comment, I add BBQ sauce so it isn't dry. I don't add BBQ sauce to pulled pork, it doesn't need it. I like pork a lot better but people seem to really like the chicken.

landarc
11-30-2014, 01:38 AM
Here is what I do.

1. I use whole chickens, I feel the end product has a better texture. I dry brine the birds for at least 12 hours. You can go 24 with no problem. You can use any rub recipe you want, but, 1-1/2 to 2 times the salt.

2. I truss the chickens, I never spatchcock chickens, but, especially for this. Truss em up good and tight. If you have a rotisserie, damn you! I mean, lucky you, spit them up. If not, put them on racks, breast side down. There should be a pan underneath the chickens, with 2 cups of water and some aromatics in them.

3. The UDS will be running around 250F or so, which is way cooler than I normally cook chickens, but, since I am pulling them, the skin doesn't matter. Yet. Cook the chickens until you reach 175F in the thigh.

4. Remove from cooker, rest for 15 minutes, untruss and split off legs and wings, they should pull easily. If not, something went wrong, as at 175F internal in the thigh, it should easily pull. Meanwhile, strain the liquid in the pan that was under the chickens, into a fat separator.

5. Remove the skin, set aside, remove the meat and shred. I prefer chunky pulled chicken, the stuff that is shredded to strings gets hard and tastes bad, get's really dry. Add in about a 50/50 mix of the liquid and fat to the chicken. I actually don't add sauce, preferring to add the chicken broth and fat to the chicken. Sauce can be added at serving time, or by the eaters.

landarc
11-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Oh, and those chicken skins, I let them cool and dry. They are a little spongy/rubbery, but, a quick dip in some 350F oil in the wok, and they get nice and crispy, a little salt and black pepper and then top that back onto the chicken as cracklins, or do what I do, and eat it, then feel guilty.

My usual rub looks something like this:
3 parts Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy
3 parts Landarc Santa Maria Rub
1 part Kosher salt (always Redmond RealSalt here)

J-Rod
11-30-2014, 11:54 AM
I like to roast whole birds, or parts like leg quarters if it's all I got, to pull for chicken pasties or pot pies. I usually hit em with spog and then tuck fresh rosemary sprigs around the bird and roast at high heat 400f. I don't like gooey tough dark meat so I make sure it renders down nice before pulling. Let it cool to handle, pull that tasty meat and eat the skins as cracklins. Makes a great pot pie or pasty.

tbam
11-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I do it sometimes. I just smoke a whole chicken till it is done, then shred it. I agree with the above comment, I add BBQ sauce so it isn't dry. I don't add BBQ sauce to pulled pork, it doesn't need it. I like pork a lot better but people seem to really like the chicken.

Exactly this. Whole chickens and just pull the meat adding a little bit of bbq. I also prefer pork but this is a much faster option.