PDA

View Full Version : Turkey rd1 w/ pron

aawa
11-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Well I spent Thanksgiving at my neighbors house. One drunken night, my I challenged my 67 year old neighbor to a head to head turkey cook off. It wasn't my brightest of moments since she has put out more Thanksgiving meals than years I have been alive. Also the judges were her son, daughter in law, and our other neighbor that she has known since the over 20 years.

I put my best foot forward for this challenge though. I had a 16lb bird (we fed 32 people off her turkey and mine) and I brined it in PatioDaddio's Ultimate Turkey Brine for 24 hours. I then drained it and put it back in the fridge uncovered to dry out the skin for 8 hours.

I ran my hand under the skin of the whole bird to separate the skin and the meat as I find that it helps crisp up the skin. Right before I put it on the smoker I made a compound butter of salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme, rosemary and sage. I then spread it between the meat and the skin of the whole bird and all over the skin of the whole bird. (Sorry no picture of the processes I was in a rush since I had a lot of things to do)

I got my UDS running at 350 degrees w/ peach and oak wood. I had a drip pan on my 2nd rack to catch the drippings. The cook would probably take between 3-4 hours.

First check on the bird 2 hours in. The bird was looking fantastic. Color was starting to get there.
http://i.imgur.com/4aEXr3N.jpg

After about 3 hours 15minutes the thickest part of the breast was reading 163 and the thighs were reading 171. I call that done. Pulled the gobbler off and let it sit on the counter for about 40minutes before carving it up and taking it over to my neighbors.

http://i.imgur.com/BnkYYDi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xHK6r3X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eFixxnh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0PlxfOZ.jpg

After letting it rest I took my knife to it. I prefer to deconstruct the bird as opposed carving slices right off the whole thing. I do this because you get more usable meat and I think the presentation is kind of neat. This was taken right when I got to my neighbors.
http://i.imgur.com/xYBtkpB.jpg

We had a fantastic meal where everybody brought something to the tables. There was so much good food that I couldn't move for hours because I was so full. Everybody loved my turkey, but they loved Glenda's more.

The fun part of all this is I get to cook a whole Thanksgiving meal on Saturday again. My little sister and her bf are coming into town, and my parents are coming over. I'll have pictures from that for sure (especially since my little sister loves taking pictures of food more than I do)

Big George's BBQ
11-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Turkey looks awesome. Glad you had. Good T Day

mike-cleveland
11-28-2014, 08:33 AM
That is a really nice presentation.

Bonewagon
11-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Beautiful bird! Nice job on the carving/presentation. :thumb:

mikemci
11-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Looks great !
Were the judges good to you?

aawa
11-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Turkey looks awesome. Glad you had. Good T Day

I hope your Thanksgiving was as good if not better than mine. :) It is always a treat to spend time with great people during the holidays.

That is a really nice presentation.

Thanks. It is funny because my dad showed me how to do this when I was a teenager. I have always cut up my turkeys and chickens this way and friends have always thought it was weird. But now I'm seeing more and more videos of carving up birds this way.

Beautiful bird! Nice job on the carving/presentation. :thumb:

Thanks! I love doing it this way as you get so much more usable meat and it is just a fun way to put a bird on the table.

Looks great !
Were the judges good to you?

Everybody loved the bird, but the judges liked Glenda's more. I think I was swimming up stream on this one though since the judges were her son, daughter in law, and neighbor of 20+ years lol.

Wickedcajun
11-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Fine looking bird... I like the way you cut it up...

AClarke44
11-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Man that's a great looking bird! You always present your food to look amazing too. You definitely know how to display your meat! :biggrin1:

ShencoSmoke
11-28-2014, 09:43 AM
from the looks of that bird I would say the vote was rigged, next time you need to do a blind vote!

savageford
11-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Looks awesome, how was the skin though?

aawa
11-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Fine looking bird... I like the way you cut it up...

Thanks a bunch.

Man that's a great looking bird! You always present your food to look amazing too. You definitely know how to display your meat! :biggrin1:

Thank you. I like family style plating it makes things easier. Individual plating I am bad at.

from the looks of that bird I would say the vote was rigged, next time you need to do a blind vote!

I think it was rigged also, but I'm ok with it!

Looks awesome, how was the skin though?

The skin was great. Nice and crispy and bite through. The reason you don't see it on the dark meat is because I ate it all lol.

SmittyJonz
11-28-2014, 11:28 AM
So you are saying you Got Your Butt Kicked by an Old Lady ?

As Good as yours looks hers must have Killer!

THoey1963
11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Nice looking bird their Ren. I saw a video this year of slicing an presenting the meat that way and I like it too.

BigBobBQ
11-28-2014, 02:31 PM
still a great looking turkey.

aawa
11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
So you are saying you Got Your Butt Kicked by an Old Lady ?

As Good as yours looks hers must have Killer!

I aint to proud to admit that she beat me. She is a great cook and I have had plenty of dinners over there. I do have one up on her though. She said that I have ruined pulled pork for her. The only place she will ever go for pulled pork is my house because according to her "it was that dang good"

Nice looking bird their Ren. I saw a video this year of slicing an presenting the meat that way and I like it too.

It makes it look neat and different and gives you so much more meat off the bone than the traditional way of slicing.

still a great looking turkey.

Thanks! I thought it was the best turkey I ever did. I get to do another tomorrow.

FatCoyote
11-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Looks great and beautiful presentation. I think Ill have to try that sometime soon.

Randy3269
11-28-2014, 03:28 PM
How did you get those breasts off the bone without burning the fark out of yourself? I guess in need hoey's video.

Looks awesome like that.

jamaicamon
11-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Wow!..:clap:
Bow down to the turkey master!

1buckie
11-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Wow!..:clap:
Bow down to the turkey master!

double that !!!!!

Yours looked really nice too, jamaicamon !!!!!

Excellent cookup......you really know your cookers well & the layout is nice too !!!

Smoke Dawg
11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Looks Great! I love the presentation.

Never Challenge a 67 year old woman on anything! - Trust me, you will always lose one way or another!

Your outcome is the best you could hope for!

tsimm15
11-28-2014, 09:59 PM
The presentation is amazing. Looks great

Char Yard
11-28-2014, 10:09 PM
As everyone has said, awesome looking bird and presentation. Doesnt matter who wins or loses looks like everyone ate well

martyleach
11-28-2014, 11:20 PM
That looks pretty awesome to me! Well done!

retired trucker
11-29-2014, 12:44 AM
I cut my turkey that way this year, and found that the breast meat cut cross grain was much juicier than the traditional way of just slicing it off the sides. I cut the breasts off the carcass and then sliced them cross grain. Will do so in the future as it worked out much tastier that way.

Great looking presentation and definitely an "honorable mention" when up against a seasoned "little ole lady" and all her in house judges! Well done!!

Blessings,

Omar

aawa
11-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Looks Great! I love the presentation.

Never Challenge a 67 year old woman on anything! - Trust me, you will always lose one way or another!

Your outcome is the best you could hope for!

I was a little enibriated when I challenged her. I do normally know better though.

The presentation is amazing. Looks great

Thanks. If you know how to butcher a chicken, you can do the presentation really easily. If you don't, it is a lot simpler than it looks.

As everyone has said, awesome looking bird and presentation. Doesnt matter who wins or loses looks like everyone ate well

That is 100% true. Everybody ate and had a great time with all the company.

That looks pretty awesome to me! Well done!

Thank you Marty. I will probably be putting in another order for a handle again after the holidays!

I cut my turkey that way this year, and found that the breast meat cut cross grain was much juicier than the traditional way of just slicing it off the sides. I cut the breasts off the carcass and then sliced them cross grain. Will do so in the future as it worked out much tastier that way.

Great looking presentation and definitely an "honorable mention" when up against a seasoned "little ole lady" and all her in house judges! Well done!!

Blessings,

Omar

100% true with all that you said. It is juicier and it also is more tender cutting it cross grain.