PDA

View Full Version : Uds creosote problem

Jstroke
11-27-2014, 02:10 PM
i smoked a bird and three butts in uds and had big creosote problems. Used dry wood chunks placed on the charcoal. Two inch ball valve and two inch outlet with ninety degree elbow. Ran 300 constant the other drum set up the same way ran 250 with three birds and one butt.--no creosote. Any ideas?

SkinnyVinny
11-27-2014, 02:14 PM
possibly too much oil burning off too fast? Did you have a diffuser? I would assume turkeys wouldn't produce too much oil compared to Pork butts.

Is this in the beginning or half way through the cook?

edit: thought you did 1 bird 1 butt. 3 butts might produce enough fat/oil to cause a small oil fire, hence the creosote problem, especially if you didn't have a diffuser

edit 2: geez I gotta learn to read without the assistance of coffee! Seeing as the other drum only had 1 butt, I'm guessing the fat drippings is the main problem. the 3 turkeys 1 butt UDS probably had alot less oil buildup, hence no thick smoke.

Pitbull
11-27-2014, 04:53 PM
What wood are you using? If its Pecan, it's a sooty wood..

TXLX
11-27-2014, 07:14 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is that the intake matches the exhaust in size plus there is a 90 on the exhaust which makes it smaller than the intake. So if you are running the intake wide open there may not be enough flow to quickly remove smoke.

If it were me, I'd try making the exhaust bigger and maybe dial back the wood on the next try and see how it turns out.

Jstroke
11-29-2014, 07:22 AM
Sorry for the delay, I have thought about it and I think you guys have collectively put it together. I used the same amount of wood in each one. I used heat diffusers 20 inch in diameter. I am going to cut those down to 16 inch to allow more air flow. and I agree I think I had a grease fire. I am not sure how to deal with that. I want to be able to cook large amounts of product--if possible in each cooker. It wasnt just taste, but literally black tarry liquid that coated turkeys and butts in the one drum. I am going to put two more exhaust pipes on each lid and see if that helps.

Oldschoolbbq
11-29-2014, 01:57 PM
I would watch my smoke better . don't put anything in until the Smoke is lite and bluish, then place meat in , and watch with a refreshment and a friend to Jaw with , and see how your unit is acting . This set and forget stuff gets folks in trouble every time... JMHO:loco:

SmittyJonz
11-29-2014, 02:00 PM
More exhaust - flat lids are worse - I spray or scrap my lid every other cook.

TXLX
11-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Sorry for the delay, I have thought about it and I think you guys have collectively put it together. I used the same amount of wood in each one. I used heat diffusers 20 inch in diameter. I am going to cut those down to 16 inch to allow more air flow. and I agree I think I had a grease fire. I am not sure how to deal with that. I want to be able to cook large amounts of product--if possible in each cooker. It wasnt just taste, but literally black tarry liquid that coated turkeys and butts in the one drum. I am going to put two more exhaust pipes on each lid and see if that helps.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't packed my UDS with meat yet during a cook, but having plenty of intake and exhaust in order to maintain a lot of flow sounds like a good idea. A dome lid probably couldn't hurt either.