PDA

View Full Version : I Grill vs Maverick

DMP
11-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Smoke 2 to 3 times a month. Want a better thermometer than what I am currently using.

Which one?

I Grill or Maverick?

And go...................

Ol'Joe
11-25-2014, 03:25 PM
I'd say anything made by Tel Tru, don't believe they can be beat.

THoey1963
11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I think he is talking about a pit / meat probe, not a therm you install into the pit itself.

I have the Maverick ET-733. Works great. Have to be careful when cleaning the probes. I mainly use this for a rough guess of the meat temp and then my Thermapen for a final check before pulling.

jbounds286
11-25-2014, 05:18 PM
i just bought the iGrill2....ill let you know how i like it....i bought it instead of the maverick as i didnt want to have to carry around another gadget when i can just use the gadget i already keep with me always...my phone..plus 4 > 2 so

IamMadMan
11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
I has an I-Grill and I didn't care for it. It looked nice and had a great display, however you are limited to the bluetooth capability of the device (phone/tablet) that you are connecting to. It would work outside, but I could not get signal inside the house.

I also had a Maverick and I got greater distance with the unit and I could get signal inside the house. You need to use care when cleaning and storing the probes so they will last longer. I never had a problem with my probes, but many others have posted they have had problems.

CambuiAl
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Very happy with my 2 x Mavericks in terms of signal between remote unit and UDS and the reliability so far. I bought some replacement probes fairly cheaply so that I have some spares if necessary, and wont get caught out on a cook day if one does fail.

Ron_L
11-25-2014, 05:46 PM
I think he is talking about a pit / meat probe, not a therm you install into the pit itself.

I have the Maverick ET-733. Works great. Have to be careful when cleaning the probes. I mainly use this for a rough guess of the meat temp and then my Thermapen for a final check before pulling.

For your probes, go to Radio Shack and get some heat shrink tubing and pick a pice that will fit over the probe. Cut it to about 3/4" in length and position it at the point where the wire enters the probe and carefully shrink it with a heaat gun or a flame. That will seal that part of the probe, which is where water can enter and ruin the probe. I still wouldn't submerge it, but it will be much easier to clean and not mess it up.

I has an I-Grill and I didn't care for it. It looked nice and had a great display, however you are limited to the bluetooth capability of the device (phone/tablet) that you are connecting to. It would work outside, but I could not get signal inside the house.

Was that the iGrill or the iGrill2? I haven't had any issues with my iGrill2 so far, but I haven't tried it inside the house. I have used it at competitions with my phone inside out trailer and it was fine.

ButtBurner
11-25-2014, 06:34 PM
what I do in addition to the shrink tube is to take some RTV silicone sealer and smear it on the joint working it in good.

Let it set up a few minutes then slip the shrink tube over it and heat it

it will really seal up the joint and the wire mesh jacket encasing the lead.

We do this to test equipment in the lab I work in

FatCoyote
11-25-2014, 07:35 PM
I like my maverick

Ribeye Republic
11-25-2014, 08:00 PM
I love the looks and interface of the Igrill and the range of the maverick. I'm in a conundrum.

pjtexas1
11-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Very happy with my 2 x Mavericks in terms of signal between remote unit and UDS and the reliability so far. I bought some replacement probes fairly cheaply so that I have some spares if necessary, and wont get caught out on a cook day if one does fail.

I have this same setup. The extra probes are nice insurance. With 2 units I can do 1 pit temp and 3 meats or any combo.

IamMadMan
11-26-2014, 05:02 AM
Was that the iGrill or the iGrill2? I haven't had any issues with my iGrill2 so far, but I haven't tried it inside the house. I have used it at competitions with my phone inside out trailer and it was fine.

It was the I-Grill (Black). I found it hard to invest in the I-Grill 2 after not being happy with the other product. Also to be fair my smoke building is over 50' from the house, so distance and dwelling penetration was an issue for me. Many have the equipment closer to the home.

pjtexas1
11-26-2014, 06:24 AM
i just bought the iGrill2....ill let you know how i like it....i bought it instead of the maverick as i didnt want to have to carry around another gadget when i can just use the gadget i already keep with me always...my phone..plus 4 > 2 so
We never agree on anything. Must be that Texas OU thing.:grin: I bought Mavericks because I don't want to be touching my phone while prepping and cooking. Display is big enough to see from a good distance. If I get them contaminated I just wipe them off with antibacterial wipes.

MIZZOUBBQ
11-26-2014, 06:34 AM
So are the probes that come with the I grill just as bad as the maverick?

NeilH
11-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Maverick fan also. Batteries probes like new.

dwfisk
11-26-2014, 07:18 AM
I've had the original iGrill with original probes (1 meat & 1 pit) for a couple years and it works as advertised. No problems with the probes. In my experience, within 45-50 feet it will work through an outside wall OK, max range without walls 70-80 feet. I usually use mine with my iPad set up in my shop (where my cookers live). One observation, the iGrill app makes the iPad/iPhone stay on and not go into power conservation mode so I pretty much leave the iPad plugged in all the time. Otherwise is saps the power very quickly.

Shiz-Nit
11-26-2014, 07:52 AM
I seen where Lowes will start to carry the igrill 2.

pjtexas1
11-26-2014, 08:27 AM
I forgot to mention with 2 Mavericks if a unit were to fail you could still monitor 2 things and not be dead in the water. I believe the Mavericks come out a little cheaper if you consider that you need to add 2 probes to the iGrill.

kwas68
11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
I bought a Maverick ET-733 and it is ok.
My main complaint with it is that Channel 2 reads 4 degrees higher than Channel 1. If I switch the probes, I get the same result. Therefore it's the box, not the probes. I looked into it on Maverick's website and it states that this variation is within spec. There is no calibration either. So, I'm stuck with it.

THoey1963
11-26-2014, 11:53 AM
To me, two degrees is negligible. You have to think what you are paying for here. If you want something that is good to +/- .1 degree, you probably have to pay more for something from someone like Thermaworks. And that's why I use the Mav for an approximation and the Thermapen for exact.

Besides, it's BBQ, not rocket surgery. A couple degrees don't matter...

Dmakkk
11-26-2014, 12:02 PM
I have the iGrill 2 and love it. I just figured out how to use it on my rotisserie and I could not be happier..... Here is how it got it to work on my Weber 310 Genesis...

Amazon.com : Gas Grill Rotisserie Spit Rod Bushing 5/16" BU-1B : Rotisserie Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wvDa6ws4L.@@AMEPARAM@@51wvDa6ws4L

kwas68
11-26-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree for the most part, Terry. It is a minor complaint as I too use a Thermapen (and use it mostly for feel) as the meat reaches the finishing temp.

Channel 1 is right on. Channel 2 is +4 degrees. While not brain science, a 196 briskie or butt is different than one at 200. I'm not a fool (as far as you know) and can do the math in my head but it does complicate things.

Daggs
11-26-2014, 06:35 PM
I have 2 mavs and I have used them over 50 times between the 2 with no issues.