PDA

View Full Version : Tabasco wood chips

ricksegers
08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
I was in a new meat store I discovered in Cumming, GA and discovered a product I had never seen...it was wood chips made from barrels used to age tabasco sauce.

Has anybody here seen them or more importantly used them? What klind of flavor do they impart and more importantly what does the smoke smell like?

Rick

jgh1204
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Have not seen/tried that. I would definitely start with something small to see the flavor effect.

BBQchef33
08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
a neighbor gave me a bag last week for making her ribs. They smell like 'something", but not tobasco. maybe vinegar? look like plain white oak chips. Made no discernable difference in a smoke box on the grill with some burgers.. but didnt pay much attention.. it was more like plain old oak. Jack daniels chips you can smell the booze... these things seem to be more mild.

ApronGuy
09-01-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm almost finished with my bag of Tabasco Wood Chips.

They smell nothing like Tabasco whatsoever, nor does the smoke impart any flavor of Tabasco.

However, the chips have a very sweet smell, very fragrant. It almost smells like the chips came from barrles of Cognac or Whiskey.

Bill-Chicago
09-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I do like the Jack Daniels chips, as they smell like JD.

Racer would like them too.

Have not tried the Tabasco's (but just ordered 24 bottles online with a 2 day 25% off sale)

Oh, and Rick, good to see you online. Your once every 4 months posts are killing the server :)

Come back Shane, Come Back.

brdbbq
09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I do like the Jack Daniels chips, as they smell like JD.

Racer would like them too.

Have not tried the Tabasco's (but just ordered 24 bottles online with a 2 day 25% off sale)

Oh, and Rick, good to see you online. Your once every 4 months posts are killing the server :)

Come back Shane, Come Back.

Good weekend coming up Heh ?

Bill-Chicago
09-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Good weekend coming up Heh ?

Shipment won;t be here till next week.

I got some sort of frequent ****ter membership at the Tabasco Store, for I constantly get discounts in the email.

Their new sweet heat sauce is pretty good. Had a burger last night covered in it.

Just burned a hole in my office chair