PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try buffalo brisket??

GrillBillie_D
11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Wondering if anybody has ever tried buffalo brisket?

There is a ranch not too far from here who is coming to town for a presentation and they said if anybody wants to order the meat ahead of time, they will bring it with them.

On the list, I saw brisket.....hmmmm :twitch:

They say the buffalo is only fed natural grass or alfalfa and they do not grain finish.

Price is $8.50/lb :shocked:

Sausage Warrior
11-20-2014, 08:05 PM
I've been very tempted to try. There's a Buffalo Ranch not far from where I live. I've been concerned about the low fat level (although I'm sure there's still a considerable cap). I need to see if the sell points only. I would sure jump on that. If available I will try it and check back with a full report and photos!

castlepines
11-20-2014, 08:05 PM
I've never tried it but am REALLY interested in hearing about it if you do!

J.R.B.
11-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Yep, I've cooked quite a few. When my neighbor raised them we would butcher off ten to twelve every year. None of his customers wanted the briskets so we kept them for ourselves. The meat is definitely leaner especially on an older one or if they are totally grass fed. The toughest one I cooked came from his eight year old herd bull. I cook them extra slow with oak wood and baste often with EVOO.

GrillBillie_D
11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I might ask them if I can see a brisket before committing to buying it. I'd love to see how much of a fat cap there is on it.

I know buffalo is known to be really lean....but it seems the brisket may be something worth looking at.

Any Colorado people ever come across one?

swamprb
11-21-2014, 03:31 AM
My meat supplier has some Durham Ranch Bison cuts but no briskets. I've only grilled Bison bone in Ribeyes.

LoneStarMojo
11-21-2014, 03:42 AM
OK...I have to admit that it's late and my brain is not firing on all cylinders so I came to this thread fully expecting to see a discussion on beef brisket seasoned buffalo wing style....definitely time to head to bed....lol

Untraceable
11-21-2014, 07:01 AM
There was a BBQ Pitmasters featuring Buffalo Brisket. Watch that first

oldbill
11-21-2014, 08:23 AM
I think that I'd probably do a wet brine on it first (kind of like a corned beef only without the pickling spices) for a day or two to help with moisture retention and then after a few hours of smoke go ahead and wrap it for the rest of the cook.:-D

Nvoges
11-21-2014, 09:07 AM
OK...I have to admit that it's late and my brain is not firing on all cylinders so I came to this thread fully expecting to see a discussion on beef brisket seasoned buffalo wing style....definitely time to head to bed....lol

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I was really curious as to why anyone would do that, but thought to each their own.

rehless
11-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Brian, where do you get your meat? I am just a back yard bbq guy, but I am having a hell of a time finding beef ribs. A plate of beef ribs. Went to Cash and Carry and they do not carry them. Only place I haven't been yet is RD.

THoey1963
11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Sorry, I too was looking for butter and Frank's Hot Sauce... <sigh>

AngryMrCranky
11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I've cooked a few cuts of bison. I found that barding it with bacon drippings worked really well for keeping it moist.