PDA

View Full Version : Bay Laurel for Smoking Wood?

Larry S
11-17-2014, 03:47 PM
I cook on a WSM. I usually use hardwood lump and add other wood for smoke (Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Wine infused Oak, etc.)

I'm doing a major pruning on a Bay Laurel from my herb garden. I have many 2" size branches. I was thinking of putting them on the table saw and cutting them into hockey puck size pieces.

Anyone use Bay for smoking wood?

Larry S

BigBobBQ
11-17-2014, 03:56 PM
California Bay Laurel is very strong and permeates the meat with a pronounced bay leaf taste, so it might be best not be the best choice. Possibly a small amount could be used in a WSM.

AlwaysSmokey
11-17-2014, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't. That said,.. I have never tried. But I would think it would smell like the fall garden clipping burn,... not so great.

Pitbull
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Yep, what those guys said. It might come out tasting like spaghetti sauce.. :)

dwfisk
11-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Using bay is quite common hare in the south but the guys I know just add a little to a blackjack oak fire for flavor (blackjack burns very hot but not a lot of flavoring). Like orthers have said it can be bretty strong by itself. That said, I've had some pretty amazing Q when it is used sparingly, everything from pork to mullet.

Oak-n-hickory
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Don't do it. First: California bay laurel AKA Oregon myrtle, etc., is not the same thing as the "red bay" of Florida, the "bull bay" of most of the South. While it is not among the most hazardous woods, it is still listed as both an irritant and a sensitizer. In other words, using it may be hazardous to your skin and your lungs. I can't imagine why burning it would make it any less nasty. It is true that many woodworkers in this part of the country use the stuff and make some nice pieces, especially from burl, it's still somewhat hazardous. I've been clearing out some of the excess bay around my house, and it makes me glad I have three yard waste recycling cans per week. If you don't have a lot of the stuff, save a few leaves, but get rid of the wood.

realspaazz
11-18-2014, 05:25 PM
I threw a few leaves from my bay laurel (bay leaf) tree into the fire-pit one night... My wife told me not to do that again because it smelled like pot. I guess that the leaves will just have to keep going into the soup-pot instead lol.

SmokinJohn
11-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo