PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use rosemary on their beef?

mikerooooose
11-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

I made some great beef ribs yesterday. It was one long rib (the top was similar to ribeye) cut in half, so two pretty large pieces. I seasoned with salt and pepper only.

I cooked at 280-300 for 5 hours until these were super tender. During the cook I kept an aluminum pan with onion and garlic in it to collect the drippings. After smoking for 2 hours without looking, I basted the meat in this juice every hour. It developed a great caramelized bark, and it was insanely juicy.

That said it was almost too rich. I heard rosemary's piney taste is suppose to be good for beef that is cooked a long time. I'm thinking it would be good to balance how rich the ribs are. Next time I was thinking about adding some rosemary to the garlic and onion for the basting.

Has anyone used rosemary or similar ribs with their BBQ? Maybe it would taste too much like a roast? I keep the ribs out of the liquid so they still get a lot of good smoke on them.

Thanks,
Mike

Woodmonkey
11-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Have you considered rosemary twigs for smoke?"

lantern
11-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm using both rosemary and thyme(I love thyme) tomorrow on a prime rib roast. I've used both on my short ribs as well. Can't really go wrong so long as you don't burn it. It'll only taste like a roast if that's how you make your roasts exactly. Not that tasting like rib roast is a bad thing....hehe

The trick with rosemary is ALWAYS error on the side of using too LITTLE.

thirdeye
11-15-2014, 07:27 PM
One of the prime rib rubs I use on occasion has rosemary in it. And sometimes I'll do a cutting board steak (where you rest a grilled steak on a cutting board that has olive oil and crushed herbs on it) and one of the herbs is rosemary.

Blythewood BBQ'er
11-15-2014, 07:39 PM
I too used it on rib roast before. Mixed it in the rub. Turned out good.

swamprb
11-15-2014, 07:42 PM
I make a Santa Maria style rub for Tri Tip that I got from a Raichlen book that has rosemary in it-a little bit goes a long way.

It also rocks on Lamb cuts.

mikerooooose
11-15-2014, 08:08 PM
The trick with rosemary is ALWAYS error on the side of using too LITTLE.

How many sprigs do you use roughly per pound of beef?

MAB52
11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
The best prime rib in the world is salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary and contrary to popular consent we don't go shy with them. Mmmmmm.

jeffreywp1
11-16-2014, 06:15 AM
I also use it in my prime rib rub. I make a paste with roasted garlic and olive oil and mix in fresh minced rosemary, thyme and oregano, and if feeling adventurous, some fresh basil. I hate picking thyme so sometimes I use dried.

IamMadMan
11-16-2014, 06:29 AM
The best prime rib in the world is salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary and contrary to popular consent we don't go shy with them. Mmmmmm.

My feelings exactly........ Mmmmmmmm.

lantern
11-16-2014, 06:49 AM
How many sprigs do you use roughly per pound of beef?

Don't over think it. Combine your rub before you put it on and taste it. You'll know the flavor you're shooting for. Also, I don't like using fresh herbs when I know I'll be hitting high temps at some point so I used dried thyme and gring it down in a mortar and pestle.

When I said error on the side of too little I was trying to keep you from covering the whole thing in rosemary.:biggrin1:

I am certain you'll make something TASTY!

CambuiAl
11-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Coincidentally I tried this for the first time yesterday, with a filet mignon that I seared in a smoking hot cast iron tray, having rubbed with salt, pepper and chopped Rosemary. I then left it in the wood fired oven for about 40 mins, and the taste was exceptional! I have never thought to try with Rosemary before, but it was good.

Bludawg
11-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Anyone use rosemary on their beef? I did for a few years until she decided I didn't match the decor of the house:mmph: Oops wrong Rosemary! Sometimes I do in moderation, I like the flavor and the aromma. Use Fresh to marinate or dry for roasting.