PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone smoked chickens just to make chicken and Dumplings?

Smokin J's PIts
11-13-2014, 11:01 AM
It has finally came a cold spell, and my wife wants me to smoke a couple of chickens, so she can make chicken and dumplings. Has anyone else done this before, or even used left overs to make it. I think it would be a good mix, just wanted to hear some feedback from the Bros…

captndan
11-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Darn tootin'. I thought everybody did.

Wickedcajun
11-13-2014, 11:08 AM
I've done everything on the kettle for chicken, andouille gumbo!!!

PatAttack
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Absolutely!

Do it all the time! You'll love the flavor it brings.

DriverWild
11-13-2014, 11:39 AM
It blows away store bought rotisserie chicken. The problem is you will be setting a new standard.

dadsr4
11-13-2014, 11:48 AM
My wife made it on Tues. I'll have the leftovers for lunch today, maybe.

aawa
11-13-2014, 11:55 AM
I save all my smoked chicken carcasses to make stock for soups. I have also smoked some chicken quarters for the meat for chicken and dumplings.

You won't be disappointed at all if you do it.

Marwendholt
11-13-2014, 12:06 PM
I think I smoke the meat for basically every soup I make, just last weekend I made 5 gallons or my version of beef barley soup with smoked brisket and smoked sausage. It was awesome, but by the time everyone that was at our house bought some I was only left with about 1 gallon to freeze.

Grain Belt
11-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I have done it many times, both with whole chickens and thighs or quarters. It is excellent. Save some drippings in a drip pan to help with the gravy too!

Trunks
11-13-2014, 12:23 PM
who has a great recipe for chick dumplings?

made a few diff 1s that were good but not great

MartinM
11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
I smoke chickens or rotisserie cook them ever weekend for enchiladas, tacos etc..
I don't like chicken by itself very often but I love chicken in dishes.

bluzieq
11-13-2014, 07:23 PM
My wife makes homemade dumplings. All from scratch, but I never thought of smoking the chicken! Thanks ya.

swamprb
11-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I kinda got burnt out on C&D's when I was a kid, but now that you mention them, they do sound good, and definitely smoked! I usually throw a chicken or two on a smoker every week, for meals during the week.

Go for it!

Sweat'in Pig
11-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Always, for chicken and noodles, and don't forget chicken salad. Awesome!

kawracr
11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Yep, do it all the time. Just did a rotisserie chicken Sunday & used it to make a large batch of white chili.

cowgirl
11-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Yep here too. Smoke chickens for chicken and noodles too.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108721&highlight=noodles

I like to make a stock with the smoked chicken carcass and use the stock in the pot.

OSU725
11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
It has finally came a cold spell, and my wife wants me to smoke a couple of chickens, so she can make chicken and dumplings. Has anyone else done this before, or even used left overs to make it. I think it would be a good mix, just wanted to hear some feedback from the Bros…

Chicken and dumplings is one of my go-to smoked chicken leftover meals.

11-13-2014, 11:50 PM
I made some chicken and dumplings last weekend. My GF was sick and wanted some comfort food. They were delicious and great for this cold weather.

The key to good chicken and dumplings is 1) a good stock/broth and 2) good dumplings.

I make a broth with my chicken to start off. I never use recipes, but here is my methodology:

Brown chicken (I usually use bone in thighs) in a heavy bottom pot, remove
Reduce heat and cook finely chopped onions until translucent
Add flour and make a blonde roux (this adds flavor and body)
Add stock (homemade if you have it, low sodium boxed if you don't)
Throw in coarsely chopped celery and carrots
Throw in browned chicken
Simmer for ~1 hour, skimming fat/foam every now and then
Strain out veggies, remove chicken and deskin/debone
Add milk/cream and dumplings to broth
Salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind it will reduce some)
Cook until dumplings are almost done
Add chicken back to pot, taste and add final seasonings

The broth is the boss in this meal. I think adding precooked chicken would be less than ideal unless you already have a rich homemade stock. Adding pre-cooked chicken to boxed stock is a recipe for lackluster chicken and dumplings imo.

mytmouz
11-14-2014, 12:50 AM
I do, and I sub the turkey leftovers as well...

jermoQ
11-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I like it, although my wife prefers me to leave out the skin because to her the sronger smoke flavor does not fit good in dumplings. It is deeeelishous IMnotalwaysHO

Sausage Warrior
11-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Love that idea!!!!

I've smoked duck (very light smoke), saved the rendered fat for making roux and made Duck Ettoufee and always save chicken bones for stock = gumbo!

Promise more on this with photos!

PappaOscar
11-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Never thought of smoke chicken with dumplins! I just got done another pot of jambalaya out of smoked chicken, cant wait to try that next.:-D

cpw
11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
who has a great recipe for chick dumplings?

made a few diff 1s that were good but not great

My favorite recipe is Tyler Florence's, substituting smoked chicken for roasted. I also make more roux so it's thicker. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe.html

I'f I'm feeling lazy I'll pick up a couple rotisserie chickens from the store and use those with some chicken broth.

Theboz1419
11-20-2014, 05:53 PM
I made a post a few years ago, where I put two beer can chickens in a aluminium pan and in the pan I put all ingredients for chicken & dumplings and a few cans of cream of celery(mushroom) and let it smoke on my uds, until the chicken was just about done. I then added the dumplings and smoked until done. Mmmmmmm, so goood