PDA

View Full Version : Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans

SmokinBerto
11-10-2014, 08:03 AM
I made a batch weekend before last. Followed the directions to the letter. They were good, but after the ranting about how good they are I was a little disappointed. I used smoked "country style" ribs as the meat. Stubb's Original Recipe BBQ sauce & Booty Rub rub.
After being in the fridge a couple days they were much better, but not exactly WOW.
There was a BBQ place here called 'Big Joes BBQ' that made the best beans I've ever had. His place was sold to a Korean Woman that makes Korean BBQ. The beans aren't the same so the recipe must have gone with Joe.
Now before you all dog pile me, Keri's beans were probably the best I've made. Thanks Keri

Untraceable
11-10-2014, 08:11 AM
you needed to use blues hog

Theboz1419
11-10-2014, 09:26 AM
I have made them a couple of times and I do like the taste, I just cant eat a lot of them, I can only take so much of the sweetness.

But those that I made them for, absolutely love them and wanted the recipe.

Hankdad1
11-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Yea, they can get a little sweet for my taste. I try to use a BBQ sauce that is less sweet. But they are great beans.

Ron_L
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Everyone we have served them to love them, but they can be sweet. I typically cut or even leave out the brown sugar depending on the BBQ sauce that I use.

mwmac
11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Keri's are very good but quite sweet. The more popular choice with my family is Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans. Superb!

gtr
11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Definitely on the sweet side, and definitely something I have to make every time people come over or else they'll kill me. I'll get more comments on beans than I will a pig I've been cooking all day and half the night.

I like checking out different meats - I'll used leftover PP and/or crumbled fatties of various sorts - breakfast, hot link, kielbasa, andouille, etc. I've used Head Country sauce, Blues Hog, Bigmista's spicy sauce (good luck finding that! :twisted:) and a few others - all good, all different.

I've been wanted to experiment with savory beans like I got in TX - I love those, but I'm worried about the pitchforks and torches if I don't make the KHA beans.

Loeweb
11-10-2014, 03:16 PM
never had them, but they sound awesome!!

DUBBAGA
11-10-2014, 03:31 PM
oooooh, with Bigmista's spicy sauce... now that sounds like a great variation

gtr
11-10-2014, 03:47 PM
oooooh, with Bigmista's spicy sauce... now that sounds like a great variation

Yeah, whenever I'm lucky enough to end up with a little that's what I use. Fantastic!

Blanton
11-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Made them for the first time last week and they were a hit. I had to use SBR sauce because I was visiting family and had no access to "real" sauce. :-P. I used a naked fatty.

One think I did that wasn't called for in the recipe that I picked up from another recipe was to drain off most of the liquid from the bean can.

BoneDaddy's
11-10-2014, 05:25 PM
We took a top 10 at mempnis in may a few years ago with a doctored version of these. I actually thinnk we landed in 5th out of about 110 teams.

loco_engr
11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
I made them once, didn't like the chunks of apple as called for in the recipe I followed. Maybe next time I might sub apple sauce instead of the apple pie filling.

thirdeye
11-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Personally I like a jazzed up pinto beans, but I make KeriC beans for work and often for group events. They are such a crowd pleaser I started printing the recipe because I get so many requests. I also like the fact they are a quick cook and the recipe is easy to make changes to. I agree with using Blues Hog in them too.