PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Brethren - Charity Cook on 12/6

gtr
11-06-2014, 09:56 AM
So I opened my mouth and said I'd do a cook for 300 on Saturday 12/6. It's with a group called Foster Care Counts and it's at the Willowbrook Boys and Girls club in Compton. Foster Care Counts will be covering the food costs. We'll probably be serving lunch around 11. Basically we're just in for the cooking - the serving will be done by other volunteers. About 125-150 of the 300 will be kids up to 15 years old.

Right now I'm planning on pulled pork, turkey breast, beans, slaw and rolls. As I type this, I'm thinking we need to get some green on the plate, so maybe I'll just pick up some salad mix as my capabilities are a little limited. I'll most likely cook the butts at home, pull on site, and cook the turkey and beans on site.

I'll need a few extra hands for this, so if any of you farkers have time to come on down, gimme a holler. I may need a hand at the house getting everything wrapped and ready, and I could definitely use some help on site with cooking, pulling, slicing, etc. Also, I don't think I have enough cooler or Cambro space, so if anybody in the area can loan a Cambro or big arse cooler for the day, let me know. At any rate, it should be really fun methinks.

The original Bludso's out that way, so we can hit that afterwards - it'll be on me! :hungry:

landarc
11-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Good luck, is this the big cook you do every year, or are you adding to your calendar?

gtr
11-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Good luck, is this the big cook you do every year, or are you adding to your calendar?

That other one is done, as my kids are no longer in elementary school & I have yet to find a similar opportunity in the middle school. This is a new thing that comes through a group my lovely wife works with that gives out books in conjunction with events that other groups do. '

It's kinda cool - they have been giving out a pretty standard turkey dinner from a major chain and they figured it'd be nice to have BBQ for a change - plus - a lot of these type events sort of have a "society lady" kind of vibe to them and the feeling is that it would be nice to have some folks who are not "society ladies" out there cooking. I'm guessing me and my bros are pretty good candidates since we are pretty farking far from being society ladies and probably a little closer to being someone that some of the people being served can identify with.

silverfinger
11-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Will I get to carve turkey and fun stuff like that ? :becky:

Count me in Greg.
As long as something big does not pop up, I would love to help out.

cowgirl
11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
A great cook for a great cause. Good one Greg! Wish I lived closer!

gtr
11-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Will I get to carve turkey and fun stuff like that ? :becky:

Count me in Greg.
As long as something big does not pop up, I would love to help out.

Awesome! I'm stoked! I'll keep you updated as things progress. Thanks Ray!

A great cook for a great cause. Good one Greg! Wish I lived closer!

A lot of us wish you lived closer!

che22879
11-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm scheduled to cook for a friends party, if that doesnt happen I'd be glad to help you out.

DUBBAGA
11-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm at 50% for being able to come out. My boy is stationed in Alaska and coming home for leave on Thanksgiving. Not sure if he has plans for us the weekend of the 6th, but will know more as the time gets closer.

gtr
11-07-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm at 50% for being able to come out. My boy is stationed in Alaska and coming home for leave on Thanksgiving. Not sure if he has plans for us the weekend of the 6th, but will know more as the time gets closer.

I'm scheduled to cook for a friends party, if that doesnt happen I'd be glad to help you out.

All good! Keep me posted!

gtr
11-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking the green on the plate is gonna be collard greens. Did a little experiment last night that went well and shouldn't be too difficult to replicate X300. :shocked:

Any other SoCal farkers who wanna come on down we'd love to have you!

gtr
11-11-2014, 10:44 AM
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward doing all the cooking at my spot and transporting everything there ready to go. There may be a side or 2 cooked on site, but it seems more efficient to cook everything at the house rather than moving cookers, etc. I think I have a pretty good plan for transporting the beans, collards, etc. We'll pull and slice the meats on site.

Big development yesterday - Bigmista will be supplying the turkey! :whoo: He's got the restaurant going on, so I'm just gonna send someone down there to pick it up for the event - how cool is that? This will open up some options for me, like maybe another side - thanks Neil! This is the best turkey I've ever had - just amazing - no gravy needed - none!

So any farkers who wanna come by my house in Culver City early that morning and help, or just meet me at the site in Compton, or come along for both - let me know!

SmokinJohn
11-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Checking with the Mrs, but I think we are good to go, with or without Bludso's....

...but as long as you're buying, I'm eating......

ETA: Green light from the Mrs. Add 2 to the helpers list.

gtr
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Cool! I hope it works out - and yes, I'm buying!

Very cool John - thanks!

HB-BBQ
11-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Greg I have a Cambro 300mpc that i can loan you. I'd love to help you out with the cook as well but I cannot commit at this time.

gtr
11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Greg I have a Cambro 300mpc that i can loan you. I'd love to help you out with the cook as well but I cannot commit at this time.

I will absolutely take you up one that! Hopefully it works that you can make it to, but if not, it's all good. We'll keep in touch as the time draws closer - thanks man and good to see ya!

SmokinJohn
11-11-2014, 09:38 PM
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning toward doing all the cooking at my spot and transporting everything there ready to go. There may be a side or 2 cooked on site, but it seems more efficient to cook everything at the house rather than moving cookers, etc. I think I have a pretty good plan for transporting the beans, collards, etc. We'll pull and slice the meats on site.

Big development yesterday - Bigmista will be supplying the turkey! :whoo: He's got the restaurant going on, so I'm just gonna send someone down there to pick it up for the event - how cool is that? This will open up some options for me, like maybe another side - thanks Neil! This is the best turkey I've ever had - just amazing - no gravy needed - none!

So any farkers who wanna come by my house in Culver City early that morning and help, or just meet me at the site in Compton, or come along for both - let me know!

If you'd like, I can pick up the birds from bigmista on my way up

gtr
11-11-2014, 10:39 PM
If you'd like, I can pick up the birds from bigmista on my way up

I would like! Great idea John. We got a great crew coming together! :whoo:

Bigmista
11-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Happy to help!

gtr
11-12-2014, 10:22 AM
^^^Do you have any idea how much this simplifies my life? Plus, they'll be getting the best turkey there is to be had anywhere. Very much appreciated Neil!

Should we have Ray slice it? :noidea:

silverfinger
11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Should we have Ray slice it? :noidea:

Well DUH. :heh: Just give me the knife. :becky:

SmokinJohn
11-19-2014, 10:00 AM
i have a coleman cooler you can use. it will hold 20-25 lbs of butt

gtr
11-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Fantastic! We'll take all the hot/cold holding space we can get!

The plan is solidifying - I should have the workflow totally figured out this weekend - or next! :heh:

I'm shooting for having everything cooked at the house (except for Neil's turkey obviously) and transporting everything to the site, and then we're just slicing, pulling, and keeping the sides stocked.

And - SoCal farkers - could still use a few hands - esp. early in the morning at my spot getting the stuff cooked and packed up for transport, but also on site pulling and slicing as well. Right now it looks like serving starts at 11:45.

gtr
11-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Alrighty - saw Bigmista on Sunday - John - he will have 90# turkey breasts for you to pick up. They will be in cambros or some sort of carrier like that. Maybe you can drop the carriers back off on your way back? If not, I can run 'em down there - it doesn't take a lot of arm twisting for me to head to Bigmista's. :hungry:.

This coming weekend I'll send out PM's to the folks I've heard back from, and we'll nail down who can go where and when. Looking forward to it!

SmokinJohn
11-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Alrighty - saw Bigmista on Sunday - John - he will have 90# turkey breasts for you to pick up. They will be in cambros or some sort of carrier like that. Maybe you can drop the carriers back off on your way back? If not, I can run 'em down there - it doesn't take a lot of arm twisting for me to head to Bigmista's. :hungry:.

This coming weekend I'll send out PM's to the folks I've heard back from, and we'll nail down who can go where and when. Looking forward to it!

I will pick up the birds and return the empties.

DUBBAGA
12-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Just got back home, looking forward to seeing pics of the event after you have an opportunity to post 'em.

Always great to hang out with you Greg & Ray... next time, let's make it after 5am though http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sleepy/sleep-027.gif

ps: Ray, thanks for the Starbucks
pps: vegetarian collard greens are evil http://bbs.bigredboard.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/vomit.gif

silverfinger
12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Just got back home, looking forward to seeing pics of the event after you have an opportunity to post 'em.

Always great to hang out with you Greg & Ray... next time, let's make it after 5am though http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sleepy/sleep-027.gif

ps: Ray, thanks for the Starbucks
pps: vegetarian collard greens are evil http://bbs.bigredboard.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/vomit.gif

Great to see you Scott!
I did not get to many photos of the event but did get a couple of good ones at Greg's of the beans and the greens.

I will try to post a couple of those when I get the time.

The event was incredible! Very well organized and so many cute kids that had probably never had BBQ like that before. The looks on their faces was priceless.
Word got out that I was the real Santa clause and the guy there dressed as him was an imposter. Not sure how that could happen. :rolleyes:

Bigmista
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Glad the event went well and happy we could help out.

silverfinger
12-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Between Big Mistas Turkey, the pulled pork, beens, greens and cole slaw, I think Greg got two marriage proposals. He sent them girls your way Niel. :laugh:
Heres a coupe photos from yesterday.

The Beans,
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/smokinbbq/IMG_3286_zps17ccdb70.jpg
The Greens and a couple of pots for the NON Meat Eaters.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/smokinbbq/IMG_3290_zps9c38829d.jpg
Greg filling a 5 gallon bucket of Greens,
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/smokinbbq/IMG_3291_zps7abc8f57.jpg
SmokinJohn picked up two cambros packed with smoked turkey from Big Mista. Best dam turkey in the So Bay.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/smokinbbq/IMG_3296_zps4de84f3f.jpg
This is where we served all the kids BBQ.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/smokinbbq/IMG_3294_zps25a97380.jpg

gtr
12-07-2014, 11:22 AM
The event was awesome and we had a great time! I gotta saw we have some some seriously amazing folks here - Bigmista did a huge solid with the turkey - I still can't wrap my head around how he makes it so good - by far the best I've had anywhere.

Silverfinger and DUBBAGA showed up at 5 freaking am to help out with the prep, SmokinJohn picked up the turkey and brought it strong on site. A couple other bro's jumped in as well - Scott, who helped in many ways, and Duke, my BBQ partner in crime at work - who got drafted onto the service line along with SF. My wife and kids were awesome as well. All these folks - all of them - were doing whatever it took to make the thing happen as well as it did. Not only that, but these are all great folks to hang out with - working, partying, whatever - it's always a pleasure to see these farkers.
The folks we served seemed to really enjoy it - there were a lot of smiling faces.

I only took a few pics:

100# rubbed and ready

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-2112.jpg

In the cooker

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-287.jpg

Lunch time!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-384.jpg

SF and my oldest serving it up

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-828.jpg

My deepest gratitude to everyone who helped out - I feel very fortunate to know you farkers and really enjoy hanging with y'all.

I also need to mention that the knowledge I gained on this site right here made this possible - after 4+ years on here, I am continually amazed at the wealth of information here as well as the kindness of the people who populate the BBQ Brethren - what a cool farking deal this is. :thumb:

Ray - I'll try to get the slaw out of the cooler before I return it. :heh:

Big George's BBQ
12-07-2014, 12:06 PM
You guys are awesome. Thank you for doing this event

ShencoSmoke
12-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Great work gentlemen.

cowgirl
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Way to go! You folks are awesome!
The food looks fantastic too. Hat's off to y'all! :clap2:

landarc
12-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Outstanding effort and that food and event looked great. Now, get your tails up here for next Saturday. :becky:

That is really some outstanding looking grub.

bluetang
12-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Way to bring it fellers, top dang shelf!

gtr
12-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Outstanding effort and that food and event looked great. Now, get your tails up here for next Saturday. :becky:

That is really some outstanding looking grub.

I would love to - and one day I will! Between this week, and another event in 2 weeks though, it isn't in the cards this go-round. But seriously - keep me posted - I think it'd be a blast to come cook with you guys one day. Thanks for the kind words!

SmokinJohn
12-08-2014, 10:15 AM
I had a great time.

Greg, you have some good bros and sons.

peeps
12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Awesome work, fells!!!

SmokinJohn
12-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Some photos:

http://www.buyfatcat.com/images/letitsnow.jpg
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

These two belong in the Wordless Picture thread:

http://www.buyfatcat.com/images/tofurky.jpg

Mystery Meat

http://www.buyfatcat.com/images/clscore.jpg

CL Score of the century

DUBBAGA
12-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry I missed you John... did you get the new drum past the wife???

Smoke Dawg
12-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Just Awesome!

SmokinJohn
12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry I missed you John... did you get the new drum past the wife???

Long story.......short version is "no". Had I not stopped to chat with Big, Mrs, and Mini Mista, I would have gotten home in time to stash it. But.....

I told her I was making a fire basket for it for Ray, since he hadn't made a UDS before. A Grinch-like excuse, eh?

I am giving my backup UDS to a local pastor, so I might able to hide it, but I gotta work quickly.

gtr
12-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to pass along to the folks who helped a thank-you note we got from one of the organizers:

I wanted to drop a quick note to say thank YOU for making Saturday an AMAZING experience.
We’re grateful and inspired by your deep commitment and generous support. Please extend our thanks and gratitude to all of your
BBQ Brethren as well.

Youth, caregivers and volunteers were blown away by the selection, high quality and taste of what you prepared. One volunteer commented, “It’s not only delicious food, but I’m so impressed by how much they care and are passionate about what they do”. And to coax kids away from the candy buffet and cotton candy... you know that’s some fantastic food!

In the upcoming week or so, stay tuned video montage capturing the day’s festivities that you’ll be able to share this with your network of supporters. Until then I wish you and your family a beautiful holiday season and new year of peace and happiness.

silverfinger
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for sharing that Greg!!!
Just want to say that I had such a great time!
This event really hit home for me. I have 3 in the nest right now. They are from my oldest child. He and his girlfriend dropped the ball many years ago and my 3 Grandchildren ended up in foster care. Long story short, my wife and I adopted them and they have been with us for 8 years now. Getting to feed all the kids was such an honor.

The drum,
Thats a cool story! QJunky delivered 2 drums to my house (no charge) for John and I.

Thanks QJunky! :thumb:

Phubar
12-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Phabulous you guys!
Love the pic of SilverPhinger and E.

PatAttack
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Way to go, fellers'!!

Brethren Spirit is alive and well!

G, which beans did you cook for this shindig?

gtr
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Way to go, fellers'!!

Brethren Spirit is alive and well!

G, which beans did you cook for this shindig?

Keri's Hog Apple - people just freak over those. I made a bunch of breakfast fatties to put in 'em, along with some smoked picnics and a little home-cured ham. I used Bigmista's Perfect Pork for the rub that goes straight into the beans. This version had no heat, except for one fatty I cooked using Big Poppa Bacon Jalapeno rub that was interspersed through the 14# of meat that went into the beans. The sauce I used in the beans was a modded version of a recipe Big Brother Smoke put up in infernooo'ss sauce thread. They turned out very good methinks, but I prefer a little heat for my own batches.

And wanna add here - I put 'em in food grade 5 gallon buckets with those liners from Stark - worked great. Stayed hot for hours and easy for transport.

tsimm15
12-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Awesome job. Everything looks great.

Happy Hapgood
12-09-2014, 07:14 PM
A Stellar effort. I'm honored to be a part of Brethren. You CA. Folks Rock! But we already knew that.

Garyclaw
12-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Outstanding feed you put on there fellas! You guys are gettin pretty good at this.

Wampus
12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Just.
Farkin.
AWESOME!

Well done Brethren!
I'm just now seeing this thread. Wish I lived closer.

....mostly to try that turkey! :becky:

dkelly75
12-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Great job, food looks amazing.

PatAttack
12-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Just.
Farkin.
AWESOME!

Well done Brethren!
I'm just now seeing this thread. Wish I lived closer.

....mostly to try that turkey! :becky:

Bigmista needs to give up that turkey recipe!:becky:

Oh and Mrs. Mista needs to give up that sweet potato pie recipe.:thumb:

fingerlickin'
12-10-2014, 05:31 PM
There's a whole lotta awesome in this thread.

Nice job everyone! :thumb: