PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade from a UDS now what?

Somedayrockstar
10-26-2014, 11:00 PM
So I've been using a UDS for about two years now and have had a lot of successful smokes with it. I was wanting to step up my skills to the next level just wondered what type or kind of smoker I should look into getting. Or is the UDS all i need. I know people compete with them and things. Just want to explore my options. Open to any and all recommendations.

SmittyJonz
10-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Humphreys Battle Box

Somedayrockstar
10-26-2014, 11:05 PM
A few people I know recommend Traeger's and other pellet smokers. Are those cheating and not the same level as other smokers. The people who recommend them aren't as passionate about the Q as me.

THoey1963
10-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Go Pro and get a WSM.

:mrgreen:

LYU370
10-26-2014, 11:50 PM
A few people I know recommend Traeger's and other pellet smokers. Are those cheating and not the same level as other smokers. The people who recommend them aren't as passionate about the Q as me.

I picked up a used FEC-100 earlier this year. LOVE IT! Wish I had gotten one years ago. They're legal in comps, so I don't think there's any cheating going on.

Somedayrockstar
10-27-2014, 12:13 AM
How wood a wsm be much different than a uds? Just better quality?

The humphreys battle box looks nice. Shipping to alaska might be expensive... But definantly gives me some ideas.

As far as traegers and pellet feeds go they just seem a little like cheating to me. But you had good luck with them?

pjtexas1
10-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Being in Alaska I would recommend an insulated cabinet smoker or a gravity feed smoker.

ButtBurner
10-27-2014, 06:06 AM
do you want to tend a fire?

darkoozy
10-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Being in Alaska I would recommend an insulated cabinet smoker or a gravity feed smoker.

Agreed. The insulated cabinet will let you set it and forget it in the cold, for all year bbq.

I upgraded from a WSM to insulated caninet smoker. Couldnt be happier.

oldbill
10-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Come to the dark side Brotha', get yourself a stick burner!:-D

chashint
10-27-2014, 08:17 AM
What is up with this cheating thingy?
Tell me how a UDS is any less cheating than any other cooker.
If it's the challenge of conquering all odds to produce good food buy yourself the cheapest most rickety offset fire box smoker you can find and go at it.

ButtBurner
10-27-2014, 08:20 AM
What is up with this cheating thingy?
Tell me how a UDS is any less cheating than any other cooker.
If it's the challenge of conquering all odds to produce good food buy yourself the cheapest most rickety offset fire box smoker you can find and go at it.

he was referring to a pellet cooker.

jasonjax
10-27-2014, 08:26 AM
I love my FEC-100 beyond all cookers I have used in the past by a significant margin.

Cheating? Funny sentiment in my opinion. No, any pellet cooker just removes the level of scrutiny and time it takes to tend a fire to a specific temperature. I find I prefer to spend my time on prep of the meat etc. rather than tending a fire like I used to with my previous cookers.

As others mentioned, I think insulated is the way to go regardless of if you go pellet or charcoal. Even in Florida there is a huge difference in fuel consumption for my insulated FEC-100 vs. my non-insulated PG-500.

oldbill
10-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Agreed. The insulated cabinet will let you set it and forget it in the cold, for all year bbq.

I upgraded from a WSM to insulated caninet smoker. Couldnt be happier. Great points, I'd missed the fact that you're in Alaska.:doh: I'd definitely go with something insulated as well!:wink:

AlwaysSmokey
10-27-2014, 08:48 AM
It's a big ol' world full of wonderful toys man. You got options galore. But, with already having a uds,.. maybe a stick burner is path you might consider. You already own a "set it and forget it" setup. Now test your fire management, this will up your skills. Anybody can plug a pellet pooper in and set a temp., a gravity feed is the same principal as your uds, I vote stickburner. Learn fire, and be able to Q on anything. All others may be simple and work well but if you want to up your game,... fire management is a skill that must be honed. :thumb:

SmittyJonz
10-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Look here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186946

daninnewjersey
10-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for more of a hands on, active participation smoker I'd say stick burner. I got one this past spring and love it. I do also keep my UDS's around since they produce killer BBQ and don't require as much attention. Both types produce killer food....they just go about it a different way.

And just as an aside...the UDS still holds a special place in my heart...and I'm sure in many peoples'. My beat up, ugly-as-sin favorite drum smoker got me 13/39 for ribs in a BBQ comp competing against some VERY expensive smokers. Remember it's not the wand....it's the magician....

Bludawg
10-27-2014, 09:26 AM
There aint a thing wrong with a UDS and there is no shame in using one. Now I have seen recommendations for insulated cabinets, & pellet poopers,WSM's, Come on ......Really!???! He said he wants to step up not run in place fellers. If he wants take it to the next level and to broaden his skill set to me that is Code for "I really want a stick burner and I need some one to tell me I need a stick burner". SO Somedayrockstar... amigo... it's time to Put on the Big Boy Pants GET AN INSULATED STICK BURNER!!! http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_trailer_bbq_smokers_insulated.htm

TexasRT
10-27-2014, 09:39 AM
If you've had good luck with the UDS and like it, save the $$$ and stay with it.

Just BS
10-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Build another UDS. No two cook the same. Change it so it cooks a little differently. Mine has a large charcoal basket that sits on the intakes and can cook for 24 hours. It works great and I love it but I'd like something a little different. Something with two racks, smaller basket and maybe with a webber lid. I dunno...the options are limitless.

TheCougarGuy
10-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I agree that an insulated cooker is the way to go for your climate. Shipping is what is going to kill you if you can't find a local dealer.

Sammy_Shuford
10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Having used both, A WSM is NOT an upgrade on a UDS.

These guys for a stick burner
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/

For the BEST pellet cooker
http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

Somedayrockstar
10-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I like to keep busy and I guess that's why to me pellet cookers would be kind of cheating to me. I don't like the idea of just turning a knob to the temp and walking off. I like the idea of mainting a fire or at least checking on the temp with my uds.

I have some building skills so maybe I'll look into building an insulated stick burner.

THoey1963
10-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Go Pro and get a WSM.

:mrgreen:

How wood a wsm be much different than a uds? Just better quality?

The humphreys battle box looks nice. Shipping to alaska might be expensive... But definantly gives me some ideas.

As far as traegers and pellet feeds go they just seem a little like cheating to me. But you had good luck with them?

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. It's the love / hate thing we have here that someone mentions a WSM and someone else comments to "build a UDS". To me they are nearly the same type of equipment. (Well, except that a WSM is better :mrgreen:)

I agree with the others, with your climate, go insulated. And if you want to be in control, look into a stick burner. That will have you tossing another split on every 30 to 45 mins and you will be in complete control.

Just keep your UDS in case there is a time you want to Q and do other things at the same time. Best of both worlds...

cowgirl
10-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Another vote for a stick burner.
I love all of my cookers, they all have different advantages, but I love tending the fire on the stick burner for some reason. :-D

SmittyJonz
10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Get an insulated Stick Burner. :mrgreen:

gaspipe1
10-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I would recommend:

1. BGE b/c you can cook in the arctic with that puppy. If you need more capacity then,
2. Some insulated vault, Stumps, Backwoods, etc. From what I have read here they burn a long time in all kinds of climate and are low maintenance like an UDS
3. An insulated offset from Shirley. Not one person has had a bad thing to say about them. Just watch the man on Facebook, he talks from the heart and hold his head high when he explains his smokers, there is not a weld on that thing that he is ashamed of.

That's my 2 cents and I have an UDS. And when the time comes I will be looking at the last two.

Good luck!