PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to do some cooking with pron

chambersuac
10-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I was able to get out and do some cooking today for the first time in a long time. Didn't get as many pics as I would have liked. For lunch we had some grilled, marinated salmon and some ABTs. The ABTs were stuffed with sausage and cheddar, seasoned with Simply Marvelous Cherry and Seaon-all. Sorry no pics of the Salmon.

For dinner we had some thin cut ribeyes we had in the freezer from this summer when they were half off. They were thin, but so good. Seasoned with Simply Marvelous peppered Cow. I also grilled some chicken breasts that were cut into smaller pieces and seasoned with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and Season-All.

I also smoked some SPAM. One regular and one Chorizo. Both seal sed with Simply Marvelous Cherry and Season-all. I had never tried the chorizo one before and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Sorry for the lack of some finished pictures.

It was all simple fare, but it was, well, Simply Marvelous.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/chambersuac/imagejpg2-1.jpg (http://s682.photobucket.com/user/chambersuac/media/imagejpg2-1.jpg.html)

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/chambersuac/imagejpg1-2.jpg (http://s682.photobucket.com/user/chambersuac/media/imagejpg1-2.jpg.html)

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/chambersuac/imagejpg1-1.jpg[/URL]

Thanks for looking

MisterChrister
10-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Drool, great looking grub! Oh man, it sounds like a good day! Glad you got to get some hands on action Dan!

cholloway
10-24-2014, 09:18 PM
You said it best... simply marvelous.

toymaster
10-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Nothin' wrong with those pics. That looks like some good food. Got any names for those hunnies in the first pic?

chambersuac
10-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Nothin' wrong with those pics. That looks like some good food. Got any names for those hunnies in the first pic?

I hate to admit it, but before I got sick, I had 13 grills and smokers and I had names for them all. Two of these were part of that group. The WSM was a gift from the Brethren (thanks again) after my release from the hospital. The el cheapo grill was a garage sale find, and it is one I can open and close from my wheelchair - but now I don't have names for any of them. Sadly. Worse yet is that I don't remember the names of the BSK or BGE from years ago.

I'm open to suggestions, though :biggrin1:

SmittyJonz
10-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Good for You! :thumb:

silverfinger
10-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Looks great!! People used to ask me what I called my Harley. It always made me laugh. A tool is a tool. I guess you can name it and some do. :laugh: My kamado is a kamado. My weber is a weber. I'm sure one day they might be a piece of ch1t. I guess I can call it that when I've worn it out. :becky:

Back to your cook. Looks awesome and it makes me happy to see you outdoors cooking again!

Enjoy every minute Dan! :thumb:

mikemci
10-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Awesome to see you out and Q'n Dan!!! I like the area you made for your smokers too! :clap2:

chambersuac
10-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Awesome to see you out and Q'n Dan!!! I like the area you made for your smokers too! :clap2:

Thanks. Going to,do,some rearranging in the near du there, Lord willing. My wheelchair accessible custom Humphrey's smoker should be finished soon. It has been in the works for a long time, but given the customization, the quality, and the, errr, um, special pricing, I'm not complaining...just anxiously awaiting the chance to smoke without needing so much help.

jeffjenkins1
10-24-2014, 11:33 PM
This is a truly inspirational post. I am humbled by it. Thank you for posting!

Jeff

Happy Hapgood
10-24-2014, 11:38 PM
A Great post of some delicious looking food and a really fine Smoker collection!

Moose
10-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Dan, so happy to see you posting cooks! Everything looks great!

chambersuac
10-25-2014, 12:26 AM
A Great post of some delicious looking food and a really fine Smoker collection!

Yeah, it's a skeleton crew now. I do have 2 UDSes, a 18" WSM, and a green Weber kettle still in storage in my trailer at Wampus' place...but I may never see those again.

pjtexas1
10-25-2014, 12:52 AM
This is a great post! Looking forward to all your future cooks on that Humphreys. Made my night/morning. Really good to see you cooking!!!

Titch
10-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Nice looking feed mate.
Who said Grace? :becky:

BigBobBQ
10-25-2014, 01:31 AM
great looking spread you cooked up there.

chambersuac
10-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Nice looking feed mate.

Howdy a know someone said grace? :biggrin1:

BBQ_MAFIA
10-25-2014, 05:18 AM
I'm so happy to read that you are able to cook a bit.
Stay well, enjoy your family and meal.

ShencoSmoke
10-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Great cook dan!

aawa
10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Heck yeah Chambers! The arsenal is looking good and I am going to have to try the smoked spam.

fingerlickin'
10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Looking good Dan! :thumb:

So what did you cook in the planter? :-P

chambersuac
10-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Heck yeah Chambers! The arsenal is looking good and I am going to have to try the smoked spam.

We love smoked SPAM. I buy the low sodium because I'm adding sodium in my rub. You can't tell by the picutre, but I score it about half way through then add the rub, so some gets down in the block. There are some others that do a better, more complex SPAM (complex as far as ingredients) Cowgirl inspired me.

chambersuac
10-25-2014, 09:33 AM

LOL. The planter was co-opted to hold some "stuff" such as paper towels and grill scraper. I am still improvising things to help me reach in the wheelchair. Cooking in a wheelchair is so much more difficult.

16Adams
10-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Smoker names

Serenity-courage and wisdom

Glad to see Spam on the menu !!!!

CharredApron
10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
LOL. The planter was co-opted to hold some "stuff" such as paper towels and grill scraper. I am still improvising things to help me reach in the wheelchair. Cooking in a wheelchair is so much more difficult.
I think its a new style of the Texas Crutch Dan!
Fine looking grub!

frognot
10-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Strong work there Dan!

big brother smoke
10-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Nice work, Dan. All but the spam :wacko:

Wickedcajun
10-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Fine looking spread!!

chambersuac
10-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks, y'all. It doesn't look like much from these pics, but it was all very tasty...and I usually am very critical. The best part was actually being outside and cooking. Hard to believe that not too long ago the experts said I'd never get out of bed again. Thanks be to God...and thanks to the Brethren for all the support. :becky:

bbqbull
10-25-2014, 07:18 PM
I am thrilled that you got a chance to cook Dan! That sure seems to make me relax if not in a contest mode. I am sure you relaxed and ate very well.

Friedturkeyspam
10-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Since the spam is already cooked do you basically heat it up to 140 or so and take it off?
I love spam, usually fry it in a skillet, but never thought about smoking it.
Also glad to see you back outside living the life!
Thanks for the post.

Kathy's Smokin'
10-26-2014, 01:31 AM
I hate to admit it, but before I got sick, I had 13 grills and smokers and I had names for them all. Two of these were part of that group. The WSM was a gift from the Brethren (thanks again) after my release from the hospital. The el cheapo grill was a garage sale find, and it is one I can open and close from my wheelchair - but now I don't have names for any of them. Sadly. Worse yet is that I don't remember the names of the BSK or BGE from years ago.

I'm open to suggestions, though :biggrin1:

Lovely Rita Meatin' Maid (must be spoken to the tune of the song)

Nice looking feed mate.

Grace! Amazing name, Titch!

Dan, if you cooked in that planter earlier in the year you could have entered the Flower Pot TD. :caked:

Really good to see you cooking, brother. :becky:

chambersuac
10-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Since the spam is already cooked do you basically heat it up to 140 or so and take it off?
I love spam, usually fry it in a skillet, but never thought about smoking it.
Also glad to see you back outside living the life!
Thanks for the post.

There is no rule on how long to smoke it, because, like you said, it is precooked. I like to smoke it for a couple of hours to let the smoke really set in. I may be doing that for no reason, I've never tested to see when smoke penetration stops.

When I score it,,before rubbing it, I make the slices as thin as I like to slice it for frying, If that makes sense. That way, when I'm ready to eat, it is almost already cut. I do like to smoke it and then fry it crisp with eggs for breakfast - or just smoke it and make a sandwich out of it. Good stuff.

Like I said earlier, though, there are others here that do a more "sophisticated" smoked spam. Jeanie (Cowgirl) really makes it look great.

cowgirl
10-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Awesome Dan!!! I have one question. Did you serve fruit? :becky:

We must be on the same wave length, I made spam yesterday too!!
Your cook looks fantastic Dan, just love it!! :hug:

chambersuac
10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
LOL, Jeanie, I did have an apple later. Look, I pray for the day I can cook like you, but I'll probably never remember to eat as much fruit. That's why you look like YOU and I look like I. :mrgreen:

cowgirl
10-26-2014, 05:48 PM
LOL, Jeanie, I did have an apple later. Look, I pray for the day I can cook like you, but I'll probably never remember to eat as much fruit. That's why you look like YOU and I look like I. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you had an apple then. :mrgreen:
You can cook circles around me Dan, your food is always top notch delicious!!
Really love seeing your cooks!! :hug:

gtr
10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Mighty fine, Dan! I love knowing that you're out there cooking, and it looks fantastic. :clap2:

ITBFQ
10-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Walk with the genie! It all looks great!

1911Ron
10-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Good looking grub there Dan!

mata666
10-27-2014, 02:45 PM
sweet looking starting line up!

Big George's BBQ
10-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Dan that looks Great. I am so glad you were able to do this

defence18
10-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Great to see the work of the famous Chambers! Looks great!

chambersuac
10-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Great to see the work of the famous Chambers! Looks great!

Probably more like INfamous. :biggrin1:

Thanks. I am very thankful to have a chance to cook again...especially outside. Again, I can't wait for my new smoker.

martyleach
10-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Looks great Dan and I'm really happy to see that you are able to continue your passions!

LoneStarMojo
10-28-2014, 12:55 AM
A fine day of cooking for sure. That Chorizo Spam sounds good...I had no idea it even existed. I can't wait to see the new cooker up and running!

chambersuac
10-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Looks great Dan and I'm really happy to see that you are able to continue your passions!

Thanks, Marty. Now that I can spend time out there, MAYBE I can get my handle installed on the BGE.