PDA

View Full Version : Would love o hear you guys opinions on this thought

letdasmokeroll
10-12-2014, 02:49 PM
I recently had a job offer in Morehead City NC ...been there a few times to work and the only BBQ in the area is Smithfields ...do you guys think a REAL BBQ joint could make it at the coast? I was thinking about something small like Thur-Sat. of course my main job would be the job I was moving to take but I have always wanted to try my own place ...any and all advice or comments would be helpful

Wickedcajun
10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Ther are a few threads on here that document the process of bbq joints... Also quite a few members who have experience with the food/restuarent business in general... You most definitely get plenty of advice from some great people... Good luck!
G

smoke ninja
10-12-2014, 03:07 PM
The prized pig is in bfe Michigan and he seems to be making it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161123

Whitewookie
10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know anything about the restaurant biz, but I would think it would be a go among the locals. Seafood joints are probably like gas stations, one on every corner. Good 'Q would probably be a nice diversion from the fish.

captndan
10-13-2014, 07:09 AM
I know Morehead City purdy well. There are several good BBQ joints that have been there for years. I know one place that has three big smokers out back and cook for several restaurants that don't cook their own.

oldbill
10-13-2014, 07:28 AM
I recently had a job offer in Morehead City NC ...been there a few times to work and the only BBQ in the area is Smithfields ...do you guys think a REAL BBQ joint could make it at the coast? I was thinking about something small like Thur-Sat. of course my main job would be the job I was moving to take but I have always wanted to try my own place ...any and all advice or comments would be helpfulI think a good Q joint will make it anywhere as long as the folks running it pay attention to quality. It ain't cheep running a restaurant and the pricing on your product will probably reflect that but if you give the folks quality for their buck they'll keep coming back.:wink:

Bludawg
10-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Cackylacky is hawg bar-be-que country they don't eat cows & cluckers just pigs & hushpuppies, slaw & nananer puddin. I believe a feller could get inta business purty cheap. make sure ya got cherwine & sweet tea. Just open a Pig stand takeout only maybe a picnic table thats it.

Iroquois
10-13-2014, 09:21 AM
I am originally from Fayetteville, NC and yes we love our BBQ in the Carolinas. I am with Bludawg on this one. Just dip your toes in the market to see how it goes and then go from there. I have been to many great BBQ joints, some in GA that are take out only and have picnic tables outside.

pmad
10-13-2014, 09:49 AM
If you want it as a side job, you could consider a food truck

Duckboats
10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
I would look into a concession trailer and for a contract with a supermarket or gas station that will let you park in their lot. Think of overhead and employees and such. You would probably be better off to start small to test the market. Do catering stuff to get your name out there. Good luck.

letdasmokeroll
10-14-2014, 11:01 AM
exactly my thoughts ..maybe a food truck or something like that just to see what happens just not sure if a BBQ place can make it in a seafood market ! Most people think of the beach as a place to eat fresh seafood BUT if they could get AWESOME Brisket or Ribs that would be a great change of pace ...am I wrong for thinking this way