PDA

View Full Version : GOSM for doing jerky

Hiloboy
08-21-2006, 04:14 PM
someone just gave me a gosm and i was thinking of useing it to make some jerky or maybe add some smoke to it. and then use my dehydrator. i got it to hold temp at 160 for about and hour. nothing in side. maybe less when loaded i don't know. i also tryed it with a hot plate in side it held at about 147 that is as high as it would go.of the two ways which way should i go to get best smoke for sausage and making jerky.and one more thing how do i keep my woodchips from going out at this temps. or how do you start them and keep them going.. i did take the temp up to about 230 and they started to smoke . but when i put it back to 160 it died. what now? Mahalos for any help you can give me. or is there any one out there useing a GOSM like i'm trying to? and how are you doing it? Aloha Curt

Ron_L
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Try sawdust instead of chips. That's what Alton Brown did when he used a hot plate for smoking salmon :-D

Welcome back, Curt!

Kevin
08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Got a batch of jerky going right now. Smoking oak chunks (air choked down), dont worry, the oak is dry as a popcorn fart so no creosote. Holding steady at 150* for a couple of hours now. Will put the jerky in the dehydrator (it's a cheap one, 185* non adjustable) when I go to bed, and wake up to a nice smoky breakfast. Or maybe lunch snack.

bbqjoe
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Got a batch of jerky going right now. Smoking oak chunks (air choked down), dont worry, the oak is dry as a popcorn fart so no creosote. Holding steady at 150* for a couple of hours now. Will put the jerky in the dehydrator (it's a cheap one, 185* non adjustable) when I go to bed, and wake up to a nice smoky breakfast. Or maybe lunch snack.
MMMMMMMMMM A shiner and jerky for breakfast.

Just made about 20lbs of jerky myself!

That and 20lbs of pastrami.