PDA

View Full Version : WSM water pan..... am I doing something wrong?

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
I am attempting to smoke a small flat with no water in my water pan on my 18.5" WSM. I have the water pan wrapped in heavy duty alum foil. It isn't filled with anything, just wrapped in foil. My temps are up around 280 and I want 235ish.

Am i missing something here, or does it just take longer for temps to drop with no water? 2 of my vents are 0% and the third is at 25%. I am using lump with a few chunks of mesquite.

DetTigersFan
10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I am attempting to smoke a small flat with no water in my water pan on my 18.5" WSM. I have the water pan wrapped in heavy duty alum foil. It isn't filled with anything, just wrapped in foil. My temps are up around 280 and I want 235ish.

Am i missing something here, or does it just take longer for temps to drop with no water? 2 of my vents are 0% and the third is at 25%. I am using lump with a few chunks of mesquite.

You're gonna be hard pressed to get your temp back down that low in my opinion... The water in the pan really keeps the temps low. If you had it full with water and all your vents wide open you'd be struggling to push it to 300*. I just put a few clay saucers in my pan then cover it with foil.

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
I normally have water in my pan, but thought I give this a try since I am doing a 2.5lb flat that should take a few hours. Right now I have 2 vents closed and my third at about 10% open and grate temp is holding at around 275-280. Guess I will just smoke this thing at 280 and next cook just keep using water.

This is what happens when I switch things up....

smoke ninja
10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Yea close the intakes all the way.that should get you close to 250. You can choke the exhaust a little for a bit to get it to drop some more but i don't see the need

Mo-Dave
10-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Nothing wrong with 285, how long has the brisket been on? If you are concerned about the high temp put some water in the pan, not that hard to do with the wsm. You may also want to check temp gauge for accuracy.
Dave

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 01:51 PM
The brisket has been on for about 1 hour and its at 106. I would add water to the pan, but I have it wrapped up in foil. It would require me to pull the WSM apart to get to the pan, then take all the foil off, etc.... I am going to see what product i get with temps around 275. The grate temp says 275 (reading from my mavrick) while the WSM thermometer on the lid says 250.

DetTigersFan
10-11-2014, 01:53 PM
The brisket has been on for about 1 hour and its at 106. I would add water to the pan, but I have it wrapped up in foil. It would require me to pull the WSM apart to get to the pan, then take all the foil off, etc.... I am going to see what product i get with temps around 275. The grate temp says 275 (reading from my mavrick) while the WSM thermometer on the lid says 250.

You will have zero issue getting an excellent product cooking at 275*. I run my WSM 270-300* all the time on everything I cook. It'll be great and you'll get to eat a little sooner too lol

Happy Hapgood
10-11-2014, 01:55 PM
It's ok to add water with foil in the pan.

Mo-Dave
10-11-2014, 02:17 PM

You wrapped it way to soon, most of the time if I wrap at all, it is after it hits 160 internal temp. All the water is going to do is drop the temp, you should be able to make a funnel to put water in through the door, or as I have done, carefully lift the entire top portion off the cooker leaving the fire and water pan exposed, add the water and place everything back together.

I would suggest taking the foil off now, and leaving it off. If by having it wrapped in foil you are talking about the water pan, and you have the foil applied flat across the top, I still would just punch it down even if it makes a hole so you can put water in it. Having said that I never use water.
Dave

BigBobBQ
10-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Dave he didn't wrap the brisket, he wrapped the water pan so he is ok there.

Mo-Dave
10-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Dave he didn't wrap the brisket, he wrapped the water pan so he is ok there.

Yes I addressed that after thinking about it.
Dave

BB-Kuhn
10-11-2014, 02:36 PM
If you don't use water you have to be careful that you gain temp after lighting nice ans slowly. WSM can run away from you, if you make too quick of moves. And remember that the vent adjustments usually take 5-8 min to see results at the thermometer, so if you are trying to close down vents to stop temp increase and you're at the temp you want, it's already too late.

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it. Just remember to build temp slowly and smoothly so you can adjust with ease.

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Ok, so internal temp of brisket is at 150 right now and grate temp is at 275. I have a 2.5lb flat, I am debating wrapping it at 160 to carry it up to 205. If I wrap it, should I put any fluid in it with the brisket?

Brian in Maine
10-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes to fluid. Beef broth or any concoction that floats your boat.

smoke ninja
10-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Many will tell you not to pull at any given temp (I think you said 205) but to go "probe tender instead. Could be 201 could be 212..... or higher.

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Ypu, just checked the cupboard, got nothing for fluid (really need to go grocery shopping). Looks like im raw dawging this thing till it gets tender with no wrap.

DetTigersFan
10-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Ypu, just checked the cupboard, got nothing for fluid (really need to go grocery shopping). Looks like im raw dawging this thing till it gets tender with no wrap.

Sounds like a plan to me...

Harbormaster
10-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Got a can of Coke or Dr. Pepper? Apple juice? Cranberry juice? Doesn't need to be beef broth.

Trick to temps on the WSM is to start shutting down bottom vents before you get to your target temp. Catch 'em on the way up. And I'd advise against messing with the top vent. Leave it open where you're cooking.

charrederhead
10-11-2014, 06:52 PM
For me, temp. control begins w/ the lighting of the fuel.

I use a weed burner to light the lump in the WSM ring. How long that almighty hell-fire rains down upon it depends on the target temp. :wink:

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Success! It worked out. Pulled it off right at 200 and let it sit for about a hour. Have a bunch of left overs, just got the kettle pizza, might throw some brisket on some pizza for the throwdown thats going on.

Now if I can only figure out how to rotate my images........

Decoy205
10-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Doing a flat tomorrow myself man! Nice so you did no wrap? What was the total cook time? Looks like it has decent moisture.

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah, 2.5lb flat. No water in WSM, just wrapped my water pan and off I went. Cooked at 280 for whole cook. Had nothing for liquid in my house other than water so I didn't wrap the brisket. Just let it go to about 200 (probe tender) and pulled and let rest for about a hour. I used Tatonka Dust liberally for the whole thing to, great flavor.

Decoy205
10-11-2014, 08:31 PM
How long was it in the cooker?

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 08:33 PM
6 hours

Decoy205
10-11-2014, 08:40 PM
It took 6 hours for 2.5 pounds at 280? Wow. I thought at that temp it would be more like 1 -1.5 hrs per pound. Looks like it worked out well man.

BBQ-Stew
10-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Trust me, I was thinking the same. IDK, Maverick read ~280 whole cook and checked a few times during the cook. I also had a meat prob in the whole cook so I was watching it go up. Once I cut into it it was super moist and not dry.

Mo-Dave
10-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Success! It worked out. Pulled it off right at 200 and let it sit for about a hour. Have a bunch of left overs, just got the kettle pizza, might throw some brisket on some pizza for the throwdown thats going on.

Now if I can only figure out how to rotate my images........

From the photo it looks like you may have sliced it with the grain, if so try slicing across the grain for a more tender cut. If I am not seeing it correctly then carry on. It does look good though.
Dave