PDA

View Full Version : Shoe leather

jpw23
08-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I tried to smoke a really bad cut of beef roast today......figured with the condition of the meat I would have to take it above 210 to do any good with it......long story short, took it to 215, foiled @ 140, let set in the cooler for a couple of hours.......might as well have tried to eat my herman survivors.....on the up side, the pork loins I cooked were great and the dog did not seem to mind if the beef was tough.

ApronGuy
08-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Two words ....

man

wich

The_Kapn
08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I just gotta ask--what was that cut of beef?????
I always figured a hoof would cook up with enough time :redface:

TIM

qman
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM

TIM
Me too?

jpw23
08-20-2006, 06:07 PM

TIM

The package just said beef roast......kinda stringy looking, tough right out of the package.....cheap! I to figured that with enough time it would turn out ok....kind of an experiment today, take a gnarly piece of meat and see if I could make it edible....glad I had a backup plan!!

thirdeye
08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
The package just said beef roast......kinda stringy looking, tough right out of the package.....cheap! I to figured that with enough time it would turn out ok....kind of an experiment today, take a gnarly piece of meat and see if I could make it edible....glad I had a backup plan!!

Maybe it was Cutter or even Canner. Heck, the gravy is tough on those SOB's.

G$
08-20-2006, 06:16 PM

TIM

Sounds like bottom round. I am always tempted to try one because they are incredibly cheap, but I just look at them and can not figure how they would be tender.

qman
08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Maybe it was Cutter or even Canner. Heck, the gravy is tough on those SOB's.

Thirdeye, you may be onto something here. However I thought most of that stuff never made it to the retail trade?

blue ox
08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Thirdeye, you may be onto something here. However I thought most of that stuff never made it to the retail trade?
That's what I was thinking, that select was the lowest grade alowed to sell retail.

jpw23
08-21-2006, 09:28 AM
That's what I was thinking, that select was the lowest grade alowed to sell retail.

That's why I bought it.....real cheap, kinda nasty.....just wanted to see if it could be cooked decent. The dog liked it and so did my step-son( he would eat anything) so it was a good experiment and nothing went to waste!:biggrin:

backyardchef
08-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Re: bottom round

They can cook up nice as roast beef.....