PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, DRBBQ

qman
08-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Here is an image of 6 pounds of beef short ribs on the way to becoming Dr. BBQ's SHORT RIBS WITH BABY BELLAS AND PORT WINE from his new book "Barbecue All Year Long" [page 239]
This shot taken after 2.5 hours in pecan smoke at 225. They smelled as good as I think they look.
I transferred them to a foil pan and added the baby bellas and port wine and beef broth, and returned to cooker. An hour or so later, my neighbors were yelling over the fence, wanting to know what the fark I was cooking that smelled so fantastic.

This is a great recipe, Ray. It is definitely one of the most aromatic things I have cooked in a long time.

bbqbull
08-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Qman, looks like fine eats there. Let us know how they ate?

qman
08-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Bull, the reason I don't have a photo of the finished dish, is because my guests would not wait while I took photos. The ribs were fantastic. I saved the juices from the pan, and made a gravy-I thickened the juices some with a flour slurry-this is not in the recipe. The gravy and mushrooms we ate on penne pasta, with the ribs along side. My wife and our guests all were moaning at the table. This is a seriously good recipe.
BTW, I used a decent imported ruby port and homemade beef stock.

Bigdog
08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Great post qman. I love beef short ribs but have a hard time finding good ones.

Ron_L
08-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Lookin' good! I guess I'll have to buy another cook book!

Samichlaus
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
They look great! Short ribs are probably my favorite thing to bbq.

bbqbull
08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Never done beef ribs. Not sure what to look for at the market. This picture is just killing me. Am I to assume when the meat pulls back from the bone end that they are done? Similar to a rib? Or do you take their temperature? I honestly dont have a clue.

Mike

beerguy
08-20-2006, 02:02 PM
How much different is back beef ribs from short ribs? Found beef back ribs today, but not short ribs.

Wildcat
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
They look great. Ray puts some good stuff in his books. I've tried several of them and all came out good.

qman
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Never done beef ribs. Not sure what to look for at the market. This picture is just killing me. Am I to assume when the meat pulls back from the bone end that they are done? Similar to a rib? Or do you take their temperature? I honestly dont have a clue.

Mike

When they pull back the way they are in this photo, they are not yet done. Beef short ribs need long cooking to get tender, more like a brisket than anything else. After this point, they were cooked in a foil pan with port wine and beef broth added, pan sealed with foil, for another 3 hours at 300 degrees in the cooker. THEN they were tender.

My normal way to do short ribs, other that this recipe, is to cook them at 200 to 225, with a rub, untill they pick up a good color and pull back from the bone, like the photo. Then I foil them with a spray of apple juice, and continue to cook al 225-250 for 3 to 4 hours more. It is sometimes hard to get a good temp reading, but I shoot for 195 intenal. As always, the main test is whether a probe slldes in and out without resistance. This is the easiest way to test these little boys.

Once they probe done, they come out of the cooker, and rest in the foil for maybe a half-hour.

qman
08-20-2006, 03:09 PM
How much different is back beef ribs from short ribs? Found beef back ribs today, but not short ribs.

Beerguy, what are usually sold as beef back ribs are ribs from the "prime rib" that have been trimmed off. They are from the loin section, and should be fairly tender, and cook much like pork back ribs [aka baby backs].

The beef short rib is from the chuck or blade section, and is a tough, knarly piece of meat much like the brisket-which is its neighbor on the steer. It is full of connective tissue and needs to be treated much like a brisket, but when cooked right, it is maybe the most flavorful single cut on a steer.

You may have to ask your meat guy to cut them for you. Some markets know them as English Cut Beef Ribs. They should be almost square, with a bone 3 to 4 inches long, and a good layer of fat on one side.

qman
08-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Lookin' good! I guess I'll have to buy another cook book!

LOL, Ron. I just assumed all the brethren already had a copy of Ray's new book:mrgreen: Or that if they didn't have one, they should:lol:

bbqbull
08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the class QMan. Gonna have to get me some and give them a whirl. Also gotta get me a copy of that book.
Thanks again.

Mike

JohnMcD348
08-20-2006, 04:35 PM
LOL, Ron. I just assumed all the brethren already had a copy of Ray's new book:mrgreen: Or that if they didn't have one, they should:lol:

I had to wait until I got a chance to meet him and let him sign it for me. That way I had signed copies of both of his books.

qman
08-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I had to wait until I got a chance to meet him and let him sign it for me. That way I had signed copies of both of his books.

Roger that, John. I was planning on coming over to Lakeland when Ray was doing the signing a while back, but an emergency came up that prevented me from getting there.

JohnMcD348
08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
well, he's still around. haven't run into him lately. he's out doing more signings and such. He even did a gig on 970WFLA out of Tampa a few weeks ago on Tony Fatso's show.

qman
08-20-2006, 05:06 PM
well, he's still around. haven't run into him lately. he's out doing more signings and such. He even did a gig on 970WFLA out of Tampa a few weeks ago on Tony Fatso's show.

Yea, I am gonna catch up with him one day.

beerguy
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the class QMan. Gonna have to get me some and give them a whirl. Also gotta get me a copy of that book.
Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks for the education, Im going to order Ray's book.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Sure looks great. Thanks for the pics and info QMAN

Sawdustguy
08-21-2006, 08:35 AM
They look wonderful and I am sure they tasted great.

Arlin_MacRae
08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
I've got that book and I'm glad one of the recipes turned out so well.

Thanks, qman!